Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Setting up an Iphone 7Plus after using an Abndroid phone

I had an ancient Samsung Galaxy S2 (new in 20130 but was recently offered by a client a spare phone. I gratefully accepted but then found out it was an Apple phone.
    With help I have overcome several set up issues but am hoping hat members can assist me further.

a)Under Android I had a selection of fm radio stations that could scroll between e.g. 101.4, 89.4 99.0 etc
    Another Apple user told me that I could get a selection by downloading the I Heart radio app from Apple.
    I could only find a pay version so did not proceed. What can I achieve?

b) on S2 I used Audacity to truncate various mp3 tunes and copy them as ringtones to my S2. e.g. I had a different tune for my daughter's Texts and another tune for her voice calls.
    I used hat approach (with different tunes again) for other regulars e.g. my wife.
    I cannot find a similar option in I Phone. There is a range of ringtones but they are generic and the same would apply if I bought some more from Apple. I tried converting mp3 files to m4p (iTunes format) but got a "no you cant" message when I tried copying them from pc to phone.

c) I used Viber then WhatsApp on my phone and Pc - I prefer using the Pc.
    When I download WhatsApp to my Pc it shows a QR code and tells me to point my phone at it. I capture it as a photo . but nothing happens. What steps am I missing so ass to be able to put it on the PC ?

I am very grateful for the kind gesture of the new phone (free) but am struggling in many sectors to enjoy the functionality I had with the Android.

All suggestions are welcome
    Thanks

Default Re: Setting up an Iphone 7Plus after using an Abndroid phone

Quote Originally Posted by Neil F View Post
    I had an ancient Samsung Galaxy S2 (new in 20130 but was recently offered by a client a spare phone. I gratefully accepted but then found out it was an Apple phone.
    With help I have overcome several set up issues but am hoping hat members can assist me further.

a)Under Android I had a selection of fm radio stations that could scroll between e.g. 101.4, 89.4 99.0 etc
    Another Apple user told me that I could get a selection by downloading the I Heart radio app from Apple.
    I could only find a pay version so did not proceed. What can I achieve?
    Yeah on most phones theres no FM chip. So the advice about iheart is correct. Not sure about it being a pay app, I have it, and never paid.

But be aware the NZ ME stations are on there (breeze, zm etc). If you want media works, then there's another app, rova I believe it's called (for the edge etc)

b) on S2 I used Audacity to truncate various mp3 tunes and copy them as ringtones to my S2. e.g. I had a different tune for my daughter's Texts and another tune for her voice calls.
    I used hat approach (with different tunes again) for other regulars e.g. my wife.
    I cannot find a similar option in I Phone. There is a range of ringtones but they are generic and the same would apply if I bought some more from Apple. I tried converting mp3 files to m4p (iTunes format) but got a "no you cant" message when I tried copying them from pc to phone.
    I think there are ways of making your own mp3 ringtones...using software and itunes to upload. Or buy them.

When I download WhatsApp to my Pc it shows a QR code and tells me to point my phone at it. I capture it as a photo . but nothing happens. What steps am I missing so ass to be able to put it on the PC ?
    If you're on ios 12.x then pointing the camera at a qr code should ask if you want to open a link. If not look for a qr code app in teh app store.
    Interests: PVRs, HTPCs, Apple IOS, Apple TV, Media Players, C#, Printing

I just point my contact detail to a song on my android phone to use as a ringtone, can Apple not do this? It would be yet another reason to never own one for me as I have several different songs from my music collection as ringtones for various people.

For my boss I have 'Can I play with madness' by Iron Maiden

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    I just point my contact detail to a song on my android phone to use as a ringtone, can Apple not do this? It would be yet another reason to never own one for me as I have several different songs from my music collection as ringtones for various people.

For my boss I have 'Can I play with madness' by Iron Maiden
    I thought we got over phone vs phone arguments about 10 years ago, no?

VoidMaster

The S2 is an awesome phone, chuck the iPhone, stick with the S2 is what I would do.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

I had an ancient Samsung Galaxy S2 (new in 20130 .......
    That must have the time travel app. Im not sure if new flux capacitors will be compatable with old versions of android

What version of iphone ?
    I'd go with the iphone if its new enough to still be supported by Apple .
    Iphone may be more locked down , but that may be good in the long term. And unlike the S2 , its still going to be getting security updates (assuming its not ancient)

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    That must have the time travel app. Im not sure if new flux capacitors will be compatable with old versions of android

What version of iphone ?
    I'd go with the iphone if its new enough to still be supported by Apple .
    Iphone may be more locked down , but that may be good in the long term. And unlike the S2 , its still going to be getting security updates (assuming its not ancient)
    iPhones tend to get updates up to about 4 years after release.

Quote Originally Posted by psycik View Post
    I thought we got over phone vs phone arguments about 10 years ago, no?
    Really? Me asking if an Apple can do something or not is a problem? I don't have one so was asking

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

All suggestions are welcome
    Thanks
    Yes this is possible with the iPhone.

I use Audacity to "edit" the desired audio file - note the iPhone limits the length of the custom tone to 30s max.

What you need to do....

1. Load up the desired audio file in Audacity or similar.
    2. Select the portion of the audio you want as the ring or text tone - keeping it to no longer than 30s for a ring tone.. I'm not too sure if there is a similar limit to the text tone but looking at my iPhone I can select any of my custom tones for either the ring or text options.
    3. Once you have the audio file you want save it as an mp3
    4. You cannot use the mp3 format for ring or txt tones on the iOS platform so you will need to convert the mp3 to a M4A file (I use Winamp for this but you can use iTunes too) - only snag with iTunes is you have to add the file to your music library first, use the "convert to AAC" option and then delete the files from the library - make sure you DO NOT select the "Delete from my computer" option.
    5. Once done browse to the file location and rename it to "filename".m4r which is the ring tone extension for Apple.
    6. Connect your iPhone to your computer - I suggest you disable the "Automatically Sync when this phone is connected" option initially...
    7. Once the phone is connected click on your iPhone in iTunes and then Select the "Tones" option in the left hand side menu bar of iTunes.
    8. Drag and drop all your ring and text tone files into the right-hand side of the tones panel.
    9. Click on the Sync but and wait for it to complete.
    10. Not required but unplug the phone from your computer and go to Sounds---->Ringtone/Text tone to select your desired custom ring tone... the custom ones should be visible on the first screen.
    11. To change the ringtone and text tone for a specific contact, go to the contact in "Contacts" and scroll down to ringtone/text tone and then select the tone you want.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by chiefnz; 21-08-2019 at 08:20 PM.

Asus PRIME Z370-P
    Core i7-8700K @ 5.0GHz (XMP)
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    16GB Klevv BOLT X Gaming 3200MHz DDR4
    Intel 660P 512GB M.2 NVMe
    Crucial P1 1TB M.2 NVMe
    Seagate Barracuda 4TB SATA
    GTX 1660 SUPER OC
    Corsair Crystal 460X
    Corsair TX650M

Computer Tech

Thanks
    You need to open the WhatsApp app on the phone and go into the settings and you'll see WhataApp Web/Desktop.
    Go into that and allow it to access the camera if asked, then point that at the QR code on your desktop.