Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passwords

Default Passwords

Can someone please tell me if my password for Webmail, is the same as the password for my Spark account, and is Outlook (email) yet another password?

Is there a programme which will save and remember these for me please?

TIA

Bryden

Default Re: Passwords

Wordpad for my lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryden View Post

Is there a programme which will save and remember these for me please?
    You browser should remember them. FF & chrome do (usually)
    Otherwise, I put my passwords into a Word Doc (& pass protect that)
    paper & pen works real well

Xtra webmail & xtra email in outlook will be the same pass .

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    You browser should remember them. .
    Terrible idea. Anyone hacking or keyloggers and the like can then steal the lot.

Your email password is the one you chose when you selected the provider, whether it's gmail, and ISP like Xtra or whatever....
    That works in your email program (Thunderbird, Outlook) or logging into webmail. Of course you may have 2 emails ie @gmail.com and @orcon.net.nz or such...in which case presumably you selected different passwords for them.

In my experience though, people tend to use the same one for multiple logins (also a bad idea)
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    paper & pen works real well
    YEP the good ol ways work well. Impossible to be "hacked", the only way anyone else can get them is if they have physical access to the paper / Note Book.

As piroska points out
    Anyone hacking or keyloggers and the like can then steal the lot
    Been MANY a time people forget their passwords, its simple to find them in W10, they are not hidden, you just have to know the path to where to find them, and often when shown what the password is people go "oh yeah forgot about that one" ( or similar)

Had a guy yesterday was worried because by mistake he told the browser to save his bank account log in automatically, took a few seconds to remove the saved details.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

I use an android app called Keepass2 on my smartphone because I have so many different logins, about 80 now apparently.
    Might not be the easiest to setup for some people though, great once it is.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Thanks for everyone who responded. Apart from Paypal and my Bank 100% of the stuff I browse, view on the Internet would have most people yawning in a few seconds.

I notice that now a number of sites want numbers, letters (including upper case) and characters.

I have an LG TV which I purchased earlier this year (April). For some reason yesterday I had hassles with not being able to view the various channels (including Youtube) and Netflix. However, managed to retrieve Netflix and today Youtube is back up and running.

A friend suggested that I check with LG to see if there is an update for this TV - cannot find that command anywhere, despite looking through Settings as suggested. Any other ideas?

Also for some reason I am now unable to receive emails on my Samsung or iPad.... sigh....

Please keep reminding me this is fun.....

Bryden

PS As I have not always being diligent at saving my passwords, what is the recommended method to now assemble them into a document so I have them for the future. will I need to log out of the sites, say I cannot remember the password, and then (hoping) they will lead me through changing the password at which point I can write it on a piece of paper......

Your browser must have them stored, as you are logging in without the password. So get into the browser saved password settings and click on the eye to uncover them one by one. You will need a password or pin to do that. Mine asks for my comp login pin.

Sometimes it's just they know people tend to use the same password, thus if they get one, likely they can use it for all sorts, like banking.

My brother uses a notebook, I recommend something like an address book, that way it's alphabetical, he doesn't, just a normal notebook and had to page through looking for one for ages the other day....

Or as dugimodo says keepass or similar.
    Although I'd guess keepass wants a password to access it?
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Terrible idea. Anyone hacking or keyloggers and the like can then steal the lot.
    If it comes to that you'd be stuffed regardless.
    Hacker / keylogger would have EASIER access to passwords if you were typing them in,
    hacker could just do what ever they want & access whatever they want on your PC when you arnt in front of it . At that stage everything incl all passwords would be compromised

Banking passwords etc I type in manually , most other things no big deal for browser to save & autofill passwords