Birkenhead, North Shore, AK (amongst the bush)

Default Using RAW capture option in Huawei Nova 2i Cellphone

I googled to try to find out how to have the option of capturing RAW photos as an alternative to JPEG in my cell. After looking at the User Guide, which does not tell you how to do it, and many sites which say it is an option, but don't tell you how to do it either, I finally zeroed in on this YouTube video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tHHMMigoQw (only 2mins 20 long).

The narrator is Indian and speaks very fast and not too clearly for European ears. He describes a process of going to the ROOT file, then to others. He says to change a line by taking out "true" and entering "false". I think I could do that, but a bit wary of the instructions.

Additionally, I want to make sure that I can have the option of having JPEG for just casual interest things, and only using RAW for the serious photography. It seems from the latter part of the video that this is possible. He shows how to swipe left and identifies the tab to move. It seems that I could fairly readily change this whenever necessary?

Has anyone experience in such things? Should I be confident in this site? 5,000 plus views; 17 likes (maybe friends of his, maybe not); 9 dislikes (but that could be his way of presenting?).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Query re cellphone on PressF1.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	9861
    Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 (marvellous)
    Lightroom 6
    Nik Collection
    Sumatra for PDF
    Speccy
    AZZ Cardfile

Default Re: Using RAW capture option in Huawei Nova 2i Cellphone

Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    and only using RAW for the serious photography.
    serious photography ,on a cheap phone ?

"The camera can also capture photos in RAW format but you have to switch to the Pro Mode in order to do that"
    Not 100% sure if your ph has pro mode, this is for another ph
    https://consumer.huawei.com/minisite..._feature04.htm

anyway, I wouldnt try rooting the ph unless you know what youre doing and dont mind losing warranty.

Birkenhead, North Shore, AK (amongst the bush)

Thanks for responding 1101, I have just got off a phone call to our Tutor on cellphones, here at SeniorNet. He has also told me that I need to be in Pro Mode - so have
    just done that. He says that the video on YouTube is designed for people in India, who do not have the Pro Mode, for the same phone.

Have got to say that the very reason I chose Huawei, is for its photographic possibilities. It has TWO front (and two rear) cameras. One of the front cameras is 16Mgs and the other 2Mgs.
    The result from these two is melded in camera for one image. The 2 Mg gives VG depth of field and bokeh for particularly portraits. Even as is, it gives really great photos, but now with
    RAW capabilities, WOW!

With my Scots ancestry I do not call a $450 cell cheap! Nevertheless, there will be differing concepts about that. Suffice to say that this Huawei gives photographic results which will be
    the equivalent to other cellphone manufacturers $1200 phones, so am very happy indeed with my choice.
    Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 (marvellous)
    Lightroom 6
    Nik Collection
    Sumatra for PDF
    Speccy
    AZZ Cardfile

I found out the hard way that ph cam sensor size doesnt allways relate to pic quality
    My ph has a 13M cam, its truly awefull in low light conditions , and struggles when there is dark/bright contrast in the photos .
    Disappointing really ,
    Its unusable at concerts etc . And I could see just how well other peoples phone cameras around me where working .

My Scots ancestry stops me spending big dollars on phones as well