Default News Media and Political Surveys

I am heartily sick of various news outlets "the latest Colmar Brunton etc poll shows xx leadership is under threat.
    National has risen/fallen x points."
    I am an old person and has never been contracted for one of these polls.
    I realise it is all revenue to UMR/Colmar and others and various Survey companies but their selection scopes are so minute as to be irrelevant.
    One recently had Luxton of AIRNZ has preferred Prime Minister. The Poll scope was 1000 people and 0.6% voted for Luxton.
    I regard them as all crap (look at recent Australian election outcome) and am very disappointed that the News Media gives them so much attention. Surely there ae far more newsworthy topics to occupy their Soundbite sessions.
    It took a long time for Research Companies to actually start contacting people without landlines.
    I heard on radio that Surveys reputedly cost about $50,000.

Surely thy could do Web based surveys with wider audiences and presumably responses would be far easier to compile into a Results table.
    Do any Forum participants take these polls seriously and if so I would be interested to hear the reasons.?

Default Re: News Media and Political Surveys

I love the polls when they say the our Commie PM is losing popularity and that current polls say the Commie Labour party will be single term because NZ first wont get over the threshold. Bad polls I just hope they are wrong and hope for the best.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil F View Post
    Colmar Brunton
    I am an old person and has never been contracted for one of these polls.
    I have.
    I used to get a lot of surveys from them, maybe cause I didn't mind doing them.
    I agree it can be meaningless as far as politics goes.

I used to get the Trusts one in Auckland all the time, should it continue? SHould it go back to beer in supermarkets....never made any difference.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by prefect View Post
    I love the polls when they say the our Commie PM is losing popularity and that current polls say the Commie Labour party will be single term because NZ first wont get over the threshold. Bad polls I just hope they are wrong and hope for the best.
    Sadly for you Bridges hasn't a hope in hell but then no one on that idiotic party is capable of leading the country. They need a completely new bunch.

Yeah, telephone polls.

Between phone based scammers, of the "We are from Microsoft and your computer has a wirus"...

and the pseudo surveys where they are actually trying to work their way around to selling you something...

and the identity thieves trying to extract some of your personal information...

Well... I now don't give any time to any of these sods, or the legitimate surveys either.
    Anyone with patience for an unwanted survey interrupting their day is likely not a valid representation of a typical citizen. It's more likely to represet someone with an age bias towards being quite elderly, or to be a prankster who is just going to jerk with the surveyers anyway.

In much the same vein, internet based surveys may have a younger age bias, as well as a 'wealth' bias, with poorer folk less likely to be reached online.

I really can't imagine a better way to target random people though. Even questioning people in the street doesn't properly target everyone. It'll miss rural folk, it may miss many people who are confined to work, especially industrial workers who are less likely to be strolling through the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.Cov View Post
    Anyone with patience for an unwanted survey interrupting their day is ... someone with an age bias towards being quite elderly, or to be a prankster who is just going to jerk with the surveyers anyway.
    Thanks.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    Sadly for you Bridges hasn't a hope in hell but then no one on that idiotic party is capable of leading the country. They need a completely new bunch.
    Nothing pisses off a right-winger more than knowing you're right on the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil F View Post
    and am very disappointed that the News Media gives them so much attention. Surely there ae far more newsworthy topics to occupy their Soundbite sessions.
    News media are there to make money, not to give us the unbiased facts.
    If that means headlines are little more than gossip, thats what in the news . They give us whatever gets more views.

So blame the viewers for accepting crap news media . Meghan and Harry are not news , they are entertainment