Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Old guy

Default MS Edge Dev Browser

If you are feeling adventuristic the Edge Dev browser is worth looking at. I have been using it for most things for some time and it is fast and works very well for most tasks. Although this is a project which is still in development it now has most features that are required for a good experience.

Default Re: MS Edge Dev Browser

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    If you are feeling adventuristic the Edge Dev browser is worth looking at. I have been using it for most things for some time and it is fast and works very well for most tasks. Although this is a project which is still in development it now has most features that are required for a good experience.
    Totally agree, been using it myself ever since it came out.

The only thing that happens is when it does its weekly build update it appears to hesitate a few seconds when opening the first time (this is it upgrading), the new version pops up a greeting, then carry on as normal.

The Current build is Version 77.0.218.4 (Official build) dev (64-bit) and is backward compatible back to Windows 7, works on MAC's , Android.

Keep in mind as its clearly written "Microsoft Edge preview builds are ready for you to try." BUT so far have had absolute no problems what so ever, lot more stable than Firefox

Anyone wanting to try it, to add to Clive's post the download link https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-gb/
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

VoidMaster

Can it accept addons like uBlock Origin etc?

Is there a Portable version?
    Last edited by zqwerty; 20-07-2019 at 11:48 AM.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    Can it accept addons like uBlock Origin etc?

Is there a Portable version?
    Yes you can add extensions, after you enable the option, by default its off. Got uBlock on this one and works fine.

Here's what extensions are currently available

https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/...EdgeExtensions

You can add shortcut keys as well to the extensions: ( none assigned to mine)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Extensions.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	9825

Keep in mind - its still in development stages, it clearly states that, so who know what will happen after a Update. BUT as mentioned earlier had absolute no problems what so ever.

Portable Version -- Dont think so YET, maybe later on.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 20-07-2019 at 03:18 PM.

VoidMaster

Quite a few extensions, didn't see, copy plain text, copy link text, copy link location.

Here's a list of others I use:

AdBlocker for YouTube™ 0.3.2
    Behind The Overlay 0.1.6
    Behind The Overlay Revival 1.8.3
    Black Menu for Google™ 20.7.7
    Bypass Paywalls 1.4.3
    CanvasBlocker 0.5.12
    Copy Link Text 1.6.1
    Copy PlainText 1.9.1
    Custom UserAgent String 0.1.7
    Dark Mode 0.3.3
    Decentraleyes 2.0.12
    Desaturate Favicons 0.0.3
    Easy Youtube Video Downloader Express 15.7
    Enterprise Policy Generator 4.4.0
    FVD Speed Dial 71.1.1
    Facebook Container 2.0.1 [DISABLED]
    Feedbro 3.42.8
    Firefox Lightbeam 2.1.0 [DISABLED]
    Firefox Multi-Account Containers 6.1.0
    Greasemonkey 4.9
    Group Speed Dial 13.8 [DISABLED]
    Morning Coffee Quantum 1.2.1
    NZHerald Bypass 1.1.5
    Nightly Tester Tools 4.0
    NoScript 11.0 [DISABLED]
    Nuke Anything 2.4
    Old Reddit Redirect 1.1.2
    Resurrect Pages 7
    Reverse Image Search 0.2.0
    Save as PDF 1.12
    Save text to file 3.3.0
    ScrollAnywhere 7.3
    Search image 0.1.3
    Speed Dial 0.1.7 [DISABLED]
    Stylish - Custom themes for any website 3.1.8
    User-Agent Switcher 0.2.6
    YouTube Classic 1.4.1
    uBlock Origin 1.20.2
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Holey crap, no wonder you have problems with FF updates -- A LOT of those extensions you can do automatically with any browser. Some, like the save To PDF, the option is in Dev-Edge by default but not in FF.

Firefox has been around for years, The new edge is only months old still in testing phase - so there's no way it will have the same amount of extensions.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 20-07-2019 at 08:09 PM.

Easy Youtube Video Downloader Express 15.7
    NZHerald Bypass 1.1.5
    Stylish - Custom themes for any website 3.1.8

uBlock Origin 1.20.2

That's all I'd keep out of the list.
    Theme, whichever you like...
    Ublock is better than Adblock.
    A video downloader
    And the Herald thing, I'm using a different one, it works 100%
    Ex-pctek

VoidMaster

The addon's work just fine, the problem is Firefox devs continuously altering their rules for addon's, normally I just transfer copies of profiles to update a new version of Firefox, there used to be an addon to do it automatically but it no longer works in newer Firefox versions, and this is exactly what I mean, instead of a few mouse clicks I have to find the appropriate folders and then copy and paste whatever to where-ever, a tedious, repetitive and annoying operation, when one or two mouse clicks used to suffice.

Here's how to install any unsigned addon's:

"What are my options if I want to use an unsigned add-on? (advanced users)

Firefox Extended Support Release (ESR), Firefox Developer Edition and Nightly versions of Firefox will allow you to override the setting to enforce the extension signing requirement, by changing the preference 'xpinstall.signatures.required' to false in the Firefox Configuration Editor (about:config page). To override the language pack signing requirement, you would set the preference extensions.langpacks.signatures.required to false. There are also special unbranded versions of Firefox that allow this override. See the MozillaWiki article, Add-ons/Extension Signing for more information."

Used to be able to do this in all version but that option has been removed recently from the standard model.
    Last edited by zqwerty; 21-07-2019 at 11:49 AM.

VoidMaster

However using the ESR version totally thwarts my purpose of keeping up with the absolute latest versions and finding problems with compatibility of the addons themselves not artificially produced problems because of anally-retentive software engineers solving imaginary problems which are not that bad anyway even when they come true, it's the lack of common sense that annoys me more than anything else.

So now they won't have someone, ie me, trying out the latest versions of Firefox and reporting problems with addons as well, I mean how is that good for the development of the product. They are just going off on a tangent all of their own, I've seen it before and I will not play the silly game anymore.

They have already lost a lot of their user base to Chrome because using Firefox requires a bit more knowledge and because of annoying phases of silly problems.

Many addon developers have lost interest as well.
    Last edited by zqwerty; 21-07-2019 at 11:55 AM.

because of anally-retentive software engineers solving imaginary problems which are not that bad anyway even when they come true, it's the lack of common sense that annoys me more than anything else.
    The trouble with changing apps, is sometimes when a change is made ( lets say to improve or fix a bug) that sometimes a change in one place has a unexpected flow-on / Side effect somewhere else, so fixing one thing may create 1/2 dozen more "faults"

They have already lost a lot of their user base to Chrome because using Firefox requires a bit more knowledge and because of annoying phases of silly problems.
    Thats to be expected ( unstable) if someone is using Testing /Development versions of any program. Read it hundreds of times, people use testing/development versions ( work in progress) then complain about problems. Well derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr