Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: When To Replace Car Battery?

I wait until there's some sign of wearing out myself, typically a cold frosty morning where the motor is very sluggish to turn over.
    The claimed life of most batteries used to be 3-5 years but they have always lasted a lot longer for me. I don't know these days because battery chemistries have changed a bit in the last decade or so.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Winter will usually tell you if your battery needs to be replaced as they hate the cold. Short trips will shorten the life of a battery. I replaced the original battery in my corolla when the car was 9 years. Car was an ex rental so probably had long mileage trips.

With old style batteries it was much easier to check the condition of each cell with a Hydrometer which reads the specific gravity of the acid. If the spg was even on all cells the battery would be Ok, and just require a charge. If the spg was low on one cell only that cell would be weak, and the battery needed replacing.
    With a sealed battery you will have to use a volt meter. Each cell is 2.1volts when fully charged, so a "12" volt battery should read 12.5 to 12.8 volts when fully charged. Allow the battery to settle for 12 hours before taking this reading. Fresh off the charger the voltage would be about 13.8

One of the main causes of battery failure is the formation of sulfur crystals on the plates. This happens when the battery is inactive for long periods, or left in a discharged state. For as little as $36 you can buy a 'trickle' charger which can be left connected to the battery 24/7. The charger is automatic, and will only charge if the voltage is below about 12.5

Some batteries came with a built-in indicator light showing green when it's OK and turns red when it needs attention.

How accurate are they?

Quote Originally Posted by bk T View Post
    Some batteries came with a built-in indicator light showing green when it's OK and turns red when it needs attention.

How accurate are they?
    The Green plastic ball floats to the top when the specific gravity of the acid is high, and sinks out of sight when discharged. The problem with this is that it only reads one cell. If it is showing green, but the voltage is lower than 12.5 you probably have a weak cell. A battery cell is like a link in a chain. It is only as strong as the weakest link.

The recommended time to replace the battery is one and a half hours before it fails.
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.