Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VoidMaster

Default More Power Over Firefox Updates etc

Firefox constantly updating and the removal of the option to stop this being easily available has led me to look for a solution.

I have tried many other browsers and I am not entirely happy with any of them just from a feature point of view.

However it seems there is a solution using a Firefox Addon to stop update and much more as well.

Here's the link:

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/05/21/en...n-for-firefox/

Here's where to get it:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...icy-generator/

I have only been using the addon for a short time so don't know that much about it, ie can't really give much advice.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Default Re: More Power Over Firefox Updates etc

Can't see where this has any uses for the average home user as updates happen in the background and don't cause any issues, slow downs or anything.

However it seems there is a solution using a Firefox Addon to stop update and much more as well.
    Install --Then waiting for the complaints.

Firefox isn't working on some sites, FF crashes all the time, having all sorts of problems. ---------- etc etc etc.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Most websites only support the last two versions of any browser anyway so you're better off in the long run keeping it up to date. It's not really that intrusive.

VoidMaster

I have used Firefox since the 0.5 or 0.6 versions all the way through to Firefox version 1 and the excitement when it finally came out. I used Netscape before that.

I have always used the latest version as well as checking the latest beta's as they appear. I have a special set of profiles which I add to each version I test. I consider myself close to knowledgeable with Firefox.

However at various times in the past on quite a few occasions many of my carefully chosen and adjusted addons/extensions have ceased to be able to be used in the progressive versions.

This is why I want to stop updates, I'm also giving up beta testing as just like Windows engineers the staff at Firefox are doing as they please with no reference to the people that are using the product.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post

I'm also giving up beta testing as just like Windows engineers the staff at Firefox are doing as they please with no reference to the people that are using the product.
    Errrrrr By the very nature, beta are full of bugs, components not working.

ALL beta software usually comes with a warning.

Example:
    You understand that using experimental and early pre-release software means you may experience occasional crashes and data loss. By participating, you agree to frequently backup your data.
    Just looked on the beta site of FF, it clearly states at the top of the page:
    Beta is an unstable testing and development platform. By default, Beta sends data to Mozilla — and sometimes our partners — to help us handle problems and try ideas
    So how can you say that the developers are doing as they please with no reference to users ??? Its YOUR choice to download and use beta software.

Obviously you don't have the full grasp as to WHAT beta software actually is.

If you dont want bugs then dont use beta. Its the EXACT same thing on the windows insider OS's Microsoft warn people that its testing software when you download it, DONT go using it on production or important machines, then all the idiots go crying when it crashes and they lose all their unbacked up date for f*** sake

What? I've got mine unticked for auto update.
    The only time that happens is when I manually tell it to.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    What? I've got mine unticked for auto update.
    The only time that happens is when I manually tell it to.
    YEP !! its all there in black and White

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FF_Updates.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	9821

VoidMaster

However you still keep getting reminders of updates on a regular basis, ie everytime you open Firefox. It's true it seems to stop the updates but I don't like to have to keep clicking the 'NO' button.

I am running multiple copies of Firefox as Portable versions that way I keep at least the last two versions plus the current on tap at all times plus the latest beta which is the one I normally use. However I need to know when an update is available to make a copy of whatever version is ready to update, before I actually update the Portable version which is a Portable re-install.

There is more to this than I can be bothered typing out but suffice to say I now have a message on the Help/About Firefox page

"Updates disabled by your system administrator"

This is what I wanted and now have updated this version Firefox 6801 and reinstated the update ban until I am ready.

I do know what beta versions are, these are not problems caused by bugs they are actually policy changes to Firefox at particular versions which render some and sometimes all of my addons non operational, I use around 30 addons but in the past was using around fifty on a regular basis, some of the these are no longer available in the newer versions of Firefox which I find very annoying as the extension developers have given up trying to keep up with the constant changes in Firefox structure.

I have always been a very keen and experienced Firefox user and lately am looking for alternative browsers to use but so far have not found what I am looking for, it is not because Firefox is so good anymore just because most of the others have similar problems or are even worse than the present Firefox versions.

This is a part of a machine that I spend a lot of my life using and have done since around 1993, before I was more into fixing hardware than playing around with software usage. However I want what I am using to behave as I wish and neither Firefox nor indeed Windows itself do that without a battle. Any tools I can find which subdue the recalcitrant offender is something I am very pleased about and so far, Enterprise Policy Generator looks like a winner.
    Last edited by zqwerty; 19-07-2019 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    However you still keep getting reminders of updates on a regular basis, ie everytime you open Firefox. It's true it seems to stop the updates but I don't like to have to keep clicking the 'NO' button.
    Ah, so FF have removed the "never check for updates" button
    Seems every time I update, I wonder which feature they will remove, just because they can.

A pain in the arse to have to find an addon just to put certain features/functionality back in .