Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question W10 feature updates? Friend or Foe?

Do the endless W10 feature updates actually enhance YOUR productivity?

For me personally, no they don't. What's about your experience?

Default Re: W10 feature updates? Friend or Foe?

Absolutely they do. Clipboard history is one of the best features they added, as is Windows Subsystem for Linux.
    "He who resorts to personal insults hath lost the argument."

Twitter

In all the years I had Windows, right from the start of it all, I never updated.
    I did on occasion use a service pack. But not in any urgent way. And only some.

I never had malware, the last one I got was on an Amiga, it was pretty lame and still a new thing.

It doesn't protect you. Think about it, MS having been doing this forever, it never stopped malware, malware is an ongoing war, what can be hacked, will. Then code is changed and it starts again.

I was always cleaning malware from fully patched up to date machine.

Two things protect you.
    Scanning regularly and using an AV like NOD that will warn you about dodgy sites etc.
    And most of all common sense.

Most malware is self inflicted
    Ex-pctek

Most malware is self inflicted
    Ain't that the truth

Windows doesn't just do updates (security) it also adds in new features, some are not very well known, some are really useful.

One they have added in recently is Sandbox ( use it a lot). You can try out programs and if it all turns to the brown stuff Big deal, so what, simply close the window and no harm done as it doesn't touch the Main OS, you can use it like the standard OS , No need to install separate VM programs, setting up etc.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

I agree with ALL of you but not totally.

I just hate the Automatic Update! I like to have the updates but only when I am ready.

If not because of the Automatic Updates, honestly, I like Windows 10, of all the previous versions.

Quote Originally Posted by bk T View Post
    I agree with ALL of you but not totally.

I just hate the Automatic Update! I like to have the updates but only when I am ready.

If not because of the Automatic Updates, honestly, I like Windows 10, of all the previous versions.
    You know you can turn off the Automatic updates for 35 Days, (all versions) If you have professional or higher there are other updates you can turn off as well

Turning off for 35 days isn't good enough. I want to be able to run the Update as and when I am ready, not MS is ready.

Quote Originally Posted by bk T View Post
    Turning off for 35 days isn't good enough. I want to be able to run the Update as and when I am ready, not MS is ready.
    AND this is one reason MS put out updates, 1 month turns into two, then three or never.

Some of the updates are part of Windows as a service. Since windows 10 came out a LOT of Techs work have changed as W10 is way more stable that any other previous version. saying 35 days is not enough WHY ??

Cant say you are using the computer 24 hours a day 7 days a week or have tasks running that require it, I'll Call BS on that. If you did you would use a actual server NOT a home version of an operating system. That's like saying a person is using a dumb down version of Linux (eg Mint) to run an online store that deals with thousands of request every day - simply not designed for it.

Ever notice the people whom that have next to no problems are the ones that take care of their computers. (regardless of the OS)

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    AND this is one reason MS put out updates, 1 month turns into two, then three or never.

Some of the updates are part of Windows as a service. Since windows 10 came out a LOT of Techs work have changed as W10 is way more stable that any other previous version. saying 35 days is not enough WHY ??

Cant say you are using the computer 24 hours a day 7 days a week or have tasks running that require it, I'll Call BS on that. If you did you would use a actual server NOT a home version of an operating system. That's like saying a person is using a dumb down version of Linux (eg Mint) to run an online store that deals with thousands of request every day - simply not designed for it.
    there can be very good reasons to want 100% control over win updates .
    MS have actively stopped many of the ways techs had found to turn off updates , so its a case of MS know better than the user , stuff what the user(owner) actually wants and requires.

You shouldnt need to Hack your own PC to get control over updates.
    You shouldnt need to upgrade to Pro to get more control .
    If I turn on a laptop, to do a single URGENT task, I can be forced to wait for updates to install. That sort of make win10 less usefull for laptops in the real world . People may need to quickly check emails before driving to work.

Yes, 1903 is an improvement. But its not enough .
    The majority of users dont give a rats arse about MS adding new features (cough cough force install of games and other unwanted apps) . Its only relatively few techies types who get excited at new features

This is part of the reason will win10 is still hated by so many. I hear negative comments re Win10 all the time , thats from average users, not anti MS ranters .

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Since windows 10 came out a LOT of Techs work have changed as W10 is way more stable that any other previous version. )
    What? They're going ot of business? Having to change to phone repairs instead?
    I doubt it.

Like I said before, most problems with malware at least, are self inflicted.
    And Windows whatever, never had that many issues, I never did. Extremely rarely. Despite me not patching it.

LOL, or maybe because of it?
    Ex-pctek