Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Unable to download POP3 email from Exra.

Same here. All working fine today on Outlook 2007 and 2010. After a little trouble shooting last night decided to leave until today to see if it issue resolved itself and it did. Good old Spark!

Quote Originally Posted by berryb View Post
    Same here. All working fine today on Outlook 2007 and 2010. After a little trouble shooting last night decided to leave until today to see if it issue resolved itself and it did. Good old Spark!
    Yep, once more saved from the ravening jaws of the g-monster. Of course, it is good to know that we can implicitly trust everything that Spark tells us!

As a matter of interest, are there any other ISPs left that provide email? Since Vodafone cut their subscribers off at the knees and 2 don't believe in email, there seems to be a bit of a vacuum out there for those dissatisfied with Spark. Gmail is a poor substitute for my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Druid View Post

As a matter of interest, are there any other ISPs left that provide email? Since Vodafone cut their subscribers off at the knees and 2 don't believe in email, there seems to be a bit of a vacuum out there for those dissatisfied with Spark. Gmail is a poor substitute for my needs.
    Outlook.com is another free email service .
    If ditching @xtra, dont go for another ISP supplied free email service .

Spark doesnt actually host their @xtra email. @xtra is hosted by another company(SMX, was yahoo, MS) on behalf of Spark. Thats why Spark seem to have so much trouble getting major email issues fixed , they dont have full control .
    There other other options for free email. Excluding gmail/outlook.com, free email a/c's have limitations and no guarentee how long they will stay free or stay available. You get what you (dont) pay for :-)

I thought gmail was far superior to @xtra . What dont you like about gmail ? You can access gmail via Outlook .
    Last edited by 1101; 17-07-2019 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    I thought gmail was far superior to @xtra . What dont you like about gmail ? You can access gmail via Outlook .
    I do have a gmail account as a backup but I do a lot on an email list hosted on an American listserve. Any posts sent from gmail are not distributed to the originator, only the other subscribers. A quirk of the listserve or of Google I'm not sure, but it pertains to everyone who uses gmail for the list. Since I often need to be sure that something I sent has in fact reached and been posted on the list, this is inconvenient. Oh yes, I could BCC myself but being able to receive all postings to the list including my own has worked very well for me for more than 20 years and change is hard for an old fella!

However, I will take your advice on outlook.com which may well be my best option to have in reserve for when Xtra vanishes which it will probably do eventually.

I have the same email prefix on both Gmail and Outlook. With outlook which is MS version of Gmail (the old Hotmail) you do get to choose the email domain.

I have mine as g------@gmail.com and G------@outlook.co.nz

Thanks Gary

I have similar with my xtra and gmail addresses with one slight variance so that I can differentiate at a glance which mail comes from where. I rarely use gmail if I can avoid it and nowadays I have far less need to have more than one addy. But some sort of backup is always a good idea.

I have to say that yesterday was the first major glitch I've had since spark brought their email home to a NZ contract so I'd be reluctant to change on a permanent basis unless absolutely necessary. However, I prefer the idea of outlook as my bow's second string. Just because gmail is so inconvenient for my use. For all I know, outlook might be as bad but I won't know until I try which I will do in the next day or so.

Old guy

I have been using gmail for many years and have yet to experience amy problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    I have been using gmail for many years and have yet to experience amy problem with it.
    I understand that it works well for many people. Just that my usage is a little different from most. It is fine for what it is but just not ideal for me.