Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Unable to download POP3 email from Exra.

I can send email no trouble but although incoming reaches the webmail inbox, Outlook 2007 cannot retrieve it and produces error 0x800CCC90. I got hold of Spark on their chat line but the best he could offer was contact Microsoft since they have nothing to do with 3rd party applications.

Googling for a solution suggests only that the problem may lie in the email client settings but I have checked and they are all correct according to Sparks's specifications.

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be appreciated by this dinosaur who loves getting email!

Default Re: Unable to download POP3 email from Exra.

Whats the rest of the error message ?? The code on its own actually can relate to several reasons.

Might be time to use a different email client as well. Been more and more cases of Xtra changing security and older clients no longer work as they are to insecure.

Double chaeck your Settings, the older ports 25/110 usually WONT work, only takes one box to be wrong to stop the lot.

Incoming server: pop3.xtra.co.nz
    Incoming port: 995 (SSL)
    Outgoing server: send.xtra.co.nz
    Outgoing port: 465 (SSL)
    Username: Your full email address, eg, joe.bloggs@xtra.co.nz
    Last edited by wainuitech; 16-07-2019 at 11:47 AM.

Thanks Wainui.

The settings are all correct as you show. However, the error message has changed to

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-07-16 11_46_51-Outlook Send_Receive Progress.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	9817

I have not managed to reproduce the original error message but I will keep trying and post it if I do.

I tend to agree that a new email client might be indicated but what is currently recommended?
    Last edited by Blue Druid; 16-07-2019 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Druid View Post

I tend to agree that a new email client might be indicated but what is currently recommended?
    One that I've been installing in customers computers (and a couple of my own, mainly for gmail) is emclient https://www.emclient.com/

Make sure you go to the top - Pricing - get free Licence, it installs as a 30 day pro Trial, but to change to free, menu- help - Licence, copy in the one given.

Its kind of a similar layout to Outlook. You can change the colors in themes as well.

The only problem I have (and some customers question as well) is sometimes it takes a few moments to open once you double click the Icon.

When it installs it gives the option to import your outlook mail as well ( from Memory), OR you can go File -Import- {Select what you have}

I did use thunderbird for a while, BUT found out every so often when Gmail and others changed some security Settings, it stopped working. Didn't happen all the time but enough to be a PITA !
    Last edited by wainuitech; 16-07-2019 at 01:28 PM.

Just upgrade to Thunderbird. Since its Outlook2007, it may not be worth the effort to fix .

otherwise
    test login/pass in webmail, do a HD test,sfc /scannow, scanpst , is the PST an old 2Gb limit PST ? WinXP or Win7/10 ? , try a Office Repair , remove the Outlook profile & resetup .

Older by the minute

I had the same problem. I don't remember how I did it now but, I needed to setup an email via gmail and reference my xtra email as well. I do get emails via my gmail as my main email but I also get xtra emails separately under my xtra email account - note it is not a copy of the gmail email.

The mystery deepens. I just had half a dozen out of perhaps 15 have managed to find their way into outlook. I am beginning to suspect some sort of filtering by Spark although the missing ones have not ended up in the spam folder in webmail. I downloaded Thunderbird and it works fine but comparing lit with Outlook, it's like comparing an Austin 7 with a Mercedes.

I'll see what transpires over the next day or so and will have a look at emclient. But not today. My poor widdle brain doth hurt. If I can't find a client that suits my needs, I might just ditch Spark altogether. The only thing that has kept me with them was to retain my same email address. If I can't use that as I want for whatever reason., I have very little incentive to stay there nowadays and can do all the connecting I want with my phone.

Thank you to Wainui, 1101 and Bryan for your suggestions.

Had two customers today with the same issue. Using old email clients and email is either waiting to be downloaded or timing out. Moved one to Outlook 2016 and issue resolved and still working on the other (Outlook 2007).

I'm trying to find any documentation from Spark if they have changed any security policy. But this is Spark and they wouldn't notify of changes anyway! Their Spam filtering is unreliable and failing on the SPF record lookup and they seem to have some strange filtering policy's in place.

Miracles happen apparently. So far today Outlook 2007 has performed exactly as it should, despite the fact that I have made no changes. Of course, it was noting to do with Spark creating incompatibilities. I know this because they told me so (yeah right!). Of course, all may not be permanently well and if it is not, I may be back seeking advise on installing Outlook 2016 and migrating to it.

However, I shall wait and see what happens. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof! Many thanks to this who have so kindly provided me with advice and guidance.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Druid View Post
    Miracles happen apparently. So far today Outlook 2007 has performed exactly as it should, despite the fact that I have made no changes. Of course, it was noting to do with Spark creating incompatibilities. I know this because they told me so (yeah right!). .
    Same thing as the internet - Rang them many a time as a customers Internet is not going, they claim its working fine, must be a local problem. THEN as if by magic without anyone touching anything within a few minutes it suddenly starts working.

Of course they never did anything