Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Phone calls from "Spark Networks"

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I've been getting a lot of those calls with the mechanical voice from "Spark networks" telling me my internet and landline are going to be disconnected.

All bull***t of course. What I want to know is, has anyone here actually pressed 1 for more information, and if so, what happens?
    Pressed 1 to see what their spiel was. They hung up when I said I didn't have internet...

Haven't stopped them trying to call me twice more...

I think the press 1 aspect is so the automatic dialler they use will pass on the live respondent to one of their scammers. Previously, you would answer the call and nothing happened (silence) but you would often get a repeat call later since they now knew someone was answering the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Beav View Post
    They get you to open event viewer and claim all the errors there are caused by hackers.
    I had one of those one day, and I had just done a fresh install of Windows. So I played along for a bit.
    Opened event viewer and there were no errors at all.
    I got passed to 3 different people, it confused them so much.
    In the end I said well, what do you expect, it's a clean install, I'm a tech and in any case what you are claiming is nonsense. But it was fun for a bit....
    Ex-pctek

Just had a new one. From "the cybersecurity team" and I could press 1 for more info or press 2 "to continue the termination process". I wonder what happens if you press 2?
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

Instead of worrying about privacy and hate speech it really is time for the world telco's and isps to get together and ban all these guys and report them to the police.

It causes many of us wasted time and potential worry.
    So what colour is your Adkaf?
    Have you joined Proud to Be Kiwi yet?

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    I had one of those one day, and I had just done a fresh install of Windows. So I played along for a bit.
    Opened event viewer and there were no errors at all.
    I got passed to 3 different people, it confused them so much.
    In the end I said well, what do you expect, it's a clean install, I'm a tech and in any case what you are claiming is nonsense. But it was fun for a bit....

Nice

its fun having them on.

Remember once had some sort of "tech help" call. Played along saying oh good I'm having all sorts of problems, computer shuts down on its own, then takes ages to reboot.

This was in XP:

So play along, while talking gibberish about nothing in particular , open the control panel - Sounds, hit the windows shutdown sound -- followed by "awhh cr@p" in a angry voice -- now have to wait for about 3-4 minutes, hit the startup sound, then mumble about now it takes 5-10 minutes to get up and running. Waiting waiting waiting------

After doing this a few times they were getting rather annoyed. Then like piroska, tell them what I do for a job, and advise I been playing them the whole time -- they say lots of swear words after that and hang up -- Awhh no sense of humour
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    Instead of worrying about privacy and hate speech it really is time for the world telco's and isps to get together and ban all these guys and report them to the police.

It causes many of us wasted time and potential worry.
    I'm sure they have been reported to the police many times over. As to banning them, I suspect it is not that easy. Thy'll move around, change IP addresses and do all the other spoofing things that are available.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post

Nice

its fun having them on.

Remember once had some sort of "tech help" call. Played along saying oh good I'm having all sorts of problems, computer shuts down on its own, then takes ages to reboot.

This was in XP:

So play along, while talking gibberish about nothing in particular , open the control panel - Sounds, hit the windows shutdown sound -- followed by "awhh cr@p" in a angry voice -- now have to wait for about 3-4 minutes, hit the startup sound, then mumble about now it takes 5-10 minutes to get up and running. Waiting waiting waiting------

After doing this a few times they were getting rather annoyed. Then like piroska, tell them what I do for a job, and advise I been playing them the whole time -- they say lots of swear words after that and hang up -- Awhh no sense of humour
    You're a cruel cruel person - well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    press 2 "to continue the termination process". I wonder what happens if you press 2?
    Er...this large cyberdyne robotic guy kicks your door in and blows you to bits?
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Er...this large cyberdyne robotic guy kicks your door in and blows you to bits?
    We're looking for a volunteer to "press 2". Any takers?

Buy a whistle and give the ignorant sods the loudest blast possible.

They won't call back
    I worked for everything I have. Most successful people have done the same thing.
    No, you aren't "entitled" to it. Too damn bad, Get it the way I did.
    WORK FOR IT.