Question A question for PREFECT. Slow starter.

I have 3 HT51s 1.3 litre Suzuki Swifts. Two of them have fast starter motors, and the third has a slower starter motor.
    All three have new batteries.
    Some Swifts have 10 tooth pinions, and others 12 tooth pinions, I don't know what pinions are in these cars. The starters look the same from outside.
    The 10 tooth pinion may increase the starter motor speed, and conversely a 12 tooth pinion could maintain the same cranking speed at less starter RPM.
    Any ideas?

Default Re: A question for PREFECT. Slow starter.

Quote Originally Posted by mzee View Post
    I have 3 HT51s 1.3 litre Suzuki Swifts. Two of them have fast starter motors, and the third has a slower starter motor.
    All three have new batteries.
    Some Swifts have 10 tooth pinions, and others 12 tooth pinions, I don't know what pinions are in these cars. The starters look the same from outside.
    The 10 tooth pinion may increase the starter motor speed, and conversely a 12 tooth pinion could maintain the same cranking speed at less starter RPM.
    Any ideas?
    Starters in Jap cars have reduction gears in them, that is why you can buy a modified Toyota Corolla starter motor at Auto Electrical spares to fit to a 454 V8
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

Quote Originally Posted by mzee View Post
    ?
    12 tooth will give faster cranking speed , all things being equal . A bigger pinion doesnt determine the speed the actual starter motor spins at (assume it has enough power)

May be irrelevant anyway. Starter motor has to be designed for that particular motor. A bigger smaller pinion starter may not fit properly

I worked for a while at Auto Electrical spares as a machinist and starter motor person. If you worked there a while you could get promoted to alternators but I didnt. We would get get faxes from North Cape to Stewart Island even Chathams. The fax would have the following information:
    Voltage we only had 12v corolla ones
    Side which the terminal post was on
    Flange size showing bolt holes
    Pinion teeth number and external diameter
    Pinion throwout distance (most important)
    They all got a starter motor from a Toyota Corolla bought from wreckers in the USA for wether it was for a small stationary engine or huge V12.
    We fitted a cast aluminum (cast in Thailand) adapter which we machined to fit the flange size and bolted on the front of the starter in place of its original one.
    We fitted new Chinese bearings, new boots made in Yugoslavia, metal parts were zinced in the shop, used a grey spray can to paint the casing.
    I dont really know how much difference pinion number teeth would make. I would prefer it to turn slower as it would have more torque (I think)
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.