Default Incompatability between projector and HDMI switcher

Hi all,
    I've got a second hand projector setup recently. It doesn't have audio out so I had to get an HDMI switch/audio extractor for the three devices I connect to (Chromecast, blueray player and Freeview box). Trouble is the projector doesn't display anything when it's plugged in and there's no audio extracted either. I thought the switch may be faulty so plugged in our old Sony tv (maybe 10 years old) to the switch output and everything works (including Chromecast which I had read online could be temperamental if it wasn't directly plugged into a TV). So, I'm guessing the projector has some older version of HDMI that is no longer compatible with the new switch? Can anyone let me know what specifications I have to look out for in a newer projector to ensure it will work with the switch? Thank you!

Projector is a Panasonic LCD Projector PT-AX 100E about 12 years old I think: https://www.justprojectors.com.au/ptax100.htm

Switch box is from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PGBXCDP...BGTYKP0http://
    Last edited by Johnnz; 05-07-2019 at 06:31 PM.

Default Re: Incompatability between projector and HDMI switcher

Why not simply use the audio from what ever the projector is connected to. The projector is only "projecting" the picture of what ever is the source player.

The Specs say no audio, so if its not there it cant create it, but the source should be able to.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Why not simply use the audio from what ever the projector is connected to. The projector is only "projecting" the picture of what ever is the source player.

The Specs say no audio, so if its not there it cant create it, but the source should be able to.
    Hi, I would do that, but Chromecast can only plug in with HDMI (there is no other audio out on that device). My bluray has a coaxial digital out which is fine but I wish to use the coaxial input on my amp for another digital music source. That leaves one optical input that the switchbox can (should) neatly connect to.

Additionally, I have some weird interference between my amp and the freeview box when volume is adjusted on the amp watching freeview. It makes a crackling noise and causing the amp to quickly shutdown. This only happens if audio is connected via analogue cables but doesn't happen if volume is adjusted using the freeview box instead!

I've done a bit more research and it seems the root of my problems lies in a HDMI protocol called HDCP (some sort of built in rights managment/copy protection). I have read that using a cheap splitter inline between the source and TV/projector can sometimes ignore the "handshake" requirements between devices so this might possibly work. It's bizzare as everything works when plugged in separately or when using the tv but the switch doesn't like the projector!

Try backing up a little.

Do some basic connections.

Example -- Laptop to Projector , straight through with a HDMI cable, NOT via a switch of any sort -- Does the graphics show. ? (forget about audio for the moment)

The reason for doing things one step at a time in basic configuration is to sort out exactly where the problem is, once items are eliminated then you add in other items till it fails again.

Looking at the Projector - it has both VGA and HDMI.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BackPanel.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	9794

BTW heres the manual in case you dont have it https://www.ricambiolampade.com/manu...E_Brochure.pdf
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

pcsourcepoint

I have VGA to HDMI adapter and 3 way splitter with built in cable (s) which I use sometimes with play station to screen Netflix. Perhaps using such a adapter might by-bass the HDMI handshake to the projector. Also could try (or research) a decent (Sony) bluetooth speaker (or receiver combo) or chrome cast audio speaker into the setup to see if that works.
    Last edited by kahawai chaser; 08-07-2019 at 11:12 AM.
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

kc love your ''3 way splutter ''

pcsourcepoint

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo29 View Post
    kc love your ''3 way splutter ''
    Thanks...Fixed I think.
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

Quote Originally Posted by kahawai chaser View Post
    Thanks...Fixed I think.
    I see that the AX-100E does have the HDCP requirement. How did you fix your setup?

These days the audio is almost always tied in to the HDMI output on players etc. A nuisance for people like me using mostly oldish equipment!

pcsourcepoint

Quote Originally Posted by rumpty View Post
    I see that the AX-100E does have the HDCP requirement. How did you fix your setup?

These days the audio is almost always tied in to the HDMI output on players etc. A nuisance for people like me using mostly oldish equipment!
    There are splitters that ignore the HDCP requirement that are linked here to Amazon from this How to Geek article. Interestingly it also shows the splitter I have I purchased from eBay (the 3 way half circle shaped model). How to Geek tested their splitter for still captures for menu's rather than video/audio streaming it seems. I never did any fixing, since i have never really tried circumventing (intentionally) the HDCP protocols to display audio/video.
    Last edited by kahawai chaser; 10-07-2019 at 09:52 PM.