Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm standing outside your room right now.

Default Anyone got any suggestions how to clean the inside of a computer case?

Hiya,

What is the best cleaning method that has worked for you when cleaning the inside of your computer?

I've heard that compressed air is the best way to get into the nook and crannies by way of ridding out dust between those tight spaces, but the price of a 300gram can for compressed air ain't exactly cheap either.

Two days ago, I instead opted using a blow vac to clean the inside of my computer case. Em dust particles flew left right and centre as little cluster balls of dust. Yet the blow vac did such a good job, I have never seen the internal parts of my power supply before until now. I'm more than tempted than ever to try it on my Mums computer but with a more powerful one to see similar result.

Default Re: Anyone got any suggestions how to clean the inside of a computer case?

I use a paint brush to flick all the dust off while holding a vac to suck up the dust . I have a cut down paintbrush for the CPU heatsink fins, they can get quite clogged
    or use a air compressor if its really bad (do it outside)
    Just be very carefull with the fans , although Ive never damaged one doing this . You could stop the fan spinning with a finger if need be .

now wait for comments about damaging components with static from the air being blown around a bit

Default Re: Anyone got any suggestions how to clean the inside of a computer case?

I remember reading somewhere last year something a guy had posted about using a dishwashing machine to get motherboards looking sparkling clean. I assume that the CPU/Heatsink and fan and the RAM is all removed from the motherboard. I wouldn't chance doing it but it could very well do an excellent job. Not too sure about the water that got in the RAM slots/ CPU Socket/Transformers/Coils would have all been 'dried out'. It wasn't posted in PF1, it was elsewhere that I saw the 'tip'. hahah maybe all the Hardware is left in situ.
    Last edited by kioti; 05-07-2019 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    I use a paint brush to flick all the dust off while holding a vac to suck up the dust
    +1

A natural bristle brush of course.

The ultimate clean is to take it apart.....rather major, but at least pull out GPU, drives etc.
    But the paintbrush and vacuum is good, and no it never did any damage in all the years I've done it.

You do of course, leave it earthed.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    I use a paint brush to flick all the dust off while holding a vac to suck up the dust . I have a cut down paintbrush for the CPU heatsink fins, they can get quite clogged
    or use a air compressor if its really bad (do it outside)
    Just be very carefull with the fans , although Ive never damaged one doing this . You could stop the fan spinning with a finger if need be .

now wait for comments about damaging components with static from the air being blown around a bit

Hey thanks for your comment.
    I too have used this method, so I am surprised I am not alone in this! The only thing I have found while using a paint brush is sometimes the odd bristle may fall out. Of course there is a vaccuum there handy, especially if your one doesn't have a blow feature with it, and I have yet experience static since owning a computer, so my guess is that this method is the next best thing than compressed air!

Quote Originally Posted by kioti View Post
    I remember reading somewhere last year something a guy had posted about using a dishwashing machine to get motherboards looking sparkling clean. I assume that the CPU/Heatsink and fan and the RAM is all removed from the motherboard. I wouldn't chance doing it but it could very well do an excellent job. Not too sure about the water that got in the RAM slots/ CPU Socket/Transformers/Coils would have all been 'dried out'. It wasn't posted in PF1, it was elsewhere that I saw the 'tip'. hahah maybe all the Hardware is left in situ.
    Ha ha ha.....nice.

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    +1

A natural bristle brush of course.

The ultimate clean is to take it apart.....rather major, but at least pull out GPU, drives etc.
    But the paintbrush and vacuum is good, and no it never did any damage in all the years I've done it.

You do of course, leave it earthed.
    So do you go as far as removing the entire fan off the CPU as well when it comes to being ultimate clean? Cheers

Well it probably looks funny but I use my 18V leaf blower and if there's a fan involved I either wedge it or hold it to stop it spinning.
    I have used a vacuum cleaner in the past but I think the leaf blower works even better.

On a friends incredibly clogged system it even cleaned out dust and fluff from inside the graphics card that a can of compressed air hadn't moved at all.

Sometimes though on metal surfaces with no components a damp rag is the quickest and easiest method.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by kioti View Post
    I've had that suggested to me before, and a story I've told before is fixing a cat pee damaged motherboard with a garden hose. The trick is to remove the battery and leave it for at least a week in a dry environment before putting any power back on. As you suggest water gets into all the tiny little spaces and does not dry out quickly.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Someone has to say it - A waterblaster works great for me.

Sorry!