Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Member Digby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Tauranga
    Posts
    5,083

    Default Hard drive takes a while to start up.

    Hello
    I have a desktop with the latest version of w10.
    I built it myself a while ago. ( i have built quite a few systems over the years)

    I have a SSD drive for my C drive and internal drives as D and E for my Data.

    My problem is that whenever I try to access the Drive to load a file or save a file, there is a small delay.
    There is a bit of grinding and then it works all OK.
    This seems to be after I have left the drive for a while.

    It seems that there is now no Hard Drive sleep setting in Windows 10.
    When I am in File Manager, there is a delay while the green bar goes across the top.

    I wonder if it is because I have Hard Drive indexing enabled. (I did not do this, but it is checked)

    Is it safe for me to untick this indexing otpion? to see if it makes a difference.

    Or can you suggest any other causes of my slow hard drive start up.

    It also applies to my E drive, so its not a drive hardware problem.
    So what colour is your Adkaf?
    Have you joined Proud to Be Kiwi yet?

  2. #2
    Senior Member piroska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,522

    Default Re: Hard drive takes a while to start up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post

    My problem is that whenever I try to access the Drive to load a file or save a file, there is a small delay.
    There is a bit of grinding and then it works all OK.
    Grinding?? I would run a check on it and back it up immediately if it isn't already.
    Ex-pctek

  3. #3

    Default Re: Hard drive takes a while to start up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    My problem is that whenever I try to access the Drive to load a file or save a file, there is a small delay.
    There is a bit of grinding and then it works all OK.
    This seems to be after I have left the drive for a while.

    It seems that there is now no Hard Drive sleep setting in Windows 10.
    There are still HDD power settings in Win10 but Microsoft, in their wisdom , have buried it even deeper than before:
    Settings -> System -> Power & Sleep -> Additional Power Settings -> Change Plan Settings -> Change Advanced Power Settings

    or

    Control Panel -> Hardware & Sound -> Choose a Power Plan -> Change Plan Settings -> Change Advanced Power Settings

    Most likely your HDDs are going to sleep if they're not being accessed. I've set mine to never power off.
    If you have WDD Green drives, those have their own in-built sleep function that can be turned off via a firmware hack.
    Last edited by autechre; 03-07-2019 at 08:42 AM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Digby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Tauranga
    Posts
    5,083

    Default Re: Hard drive takes a while to start up.

    Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Grinding?? I would run a check on it and back it up immediately if it isn't already.
    Thanks
    I have two drives they are both new D and E.
    The grinding is just a low pitched grrr.
    The noise has been the same for nearly a year now, its not getting any worse.
    I am 99% sure that its not hardware related.
    So what colour is your Adkaf?
    Have you joined Proud to Be Kiwi yet?

  5. #5
    Senior Member Digby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Tauranga
    Posts
    5,083

    Default Re: Hard drive takes a while to start up.

    Quote Originally Posted by autechre View Post
    There are still HDD power settings in Win10 but Microsoft, in their wisdom , have buried it even deeper than before:
    Settings -> System -> Power & Sleep -> Additional Power Settings -> Change Plan Settings -> Change Advanced Power Settings

    or

    Control Panel -> Hardware & Sound -> Choose a Power Plan -> Change Plan Settings -> Change Advanced Power Settings

    Most likely your HDDs are going to sleep if they're not being accessed. I've set mine to never power off.
    If you have WDD Green drives, those have their own in-built sleep function that can be turned off via a firmware hack.
    Wow
    Thanks for that.
    I found it as you say hidden very deep
    And Lo and Behold my hard drive was set to turn off after 20 minutes as part of my Balanced plan.
    This was chosen by Windows not me.

    So I set it to "never"
    And I will see what happens...
    So what colour is your Adkaf?
    Have you joined Proud to Be Kiwi yet?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,903

    Default Re: Hard drive takes a while to start up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    Thanks
    I have two drives they are both new D and E.
    The grinding is just a low pitched grrr.
    The noise has been the same for nearly a year now, its not getting any worse.
    I am 99% sure that its not hardware related.
    well it definitely is not SOFTWARE related!

  7. #7
    Senior Member Digby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Tauranga
    Posts
    5,083

    Default Re: Hard drive takes a while to start up.

    I set the hard drive sleep time to NEVER, and so far its working good.
    I'll report back tomorrow
    So what colour is your Adkaf?
    Have you joined Proud to Be Kiwi yet?

  8. #8

    Default Re: Hard drive takes a while to start up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    So I set it to "never"
    And I will see what happens...
    All good It should work a little better now.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Digby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Tauranga
    Posts
    5,083

    Default Re: Hard drive takes a while to start up.

    Yes, its going great.

    I am so annoyed with MS for hiding the option so deep down in their menu system
    And all my googling showed up old versions of Windows.
    Thankyou so much Autechre

    I was beginning to think that it was my motherboard or the Sata cables, or my network cable.

    I am going to give MS some feedback on this issue, I think that changing a power saving option should be at the option of the user, not set by default. And it should mention hard drives specifically, as many people like to rest them.

    Me I like mine going all the time, as I am convinced that they are far more reliable if the go 24/7.

    I am also experienced enough to tell a hard drive failing noise. Mine was consistent and the same every time I started to use it. Then it was as quiet as.
    (I just was not experienced enough to find the NEVER option!
    So what colour is your Adkaf?
    Have you joined Proud to Be Kiwi yet?

Similar Threads

  1. transfer speeds from hard drive to hard drive
    By nedkelly in forum PressF1
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 15-03-2011, 08:21 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-12-2009, 09:45 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 21-01-2007, 02:02 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-12-2006, 01:33 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-06-2006, 06:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •