Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
    Old guy

Default Re: Climate Change Emergency - Hysteria

I have called the Climate Change Emergency industry a religion. It is actually more like a Dooms Day Cult which is being pushed by those in pursuit of votes or cash (often the same people). If in fact we are headed for major problems I am quite certain that we (Humanity) will find a solution to them. It is not as if we are all going to drown or be cooked tomorrow and given enough time we can adjust to any changes that do eventuate if and when they occur.

VoidMaster

You don't seem to grasp the scale of what is taking place CliveM.

Doomsday Cults in my understanding are based on the idea that some sort of punishment is being visited on unfortunate humanity by an all-powerful deity, but what is happening here and now is a direct result of our arrogance and neglect of systems we rely on in pursuit of the mighty dollar and sheer population pressure, which has been understood since the early 70's but has not gained widespread understanding.

Anyway it doesn't matter what you believe, the facts are all around you.
    Last edited by zqwerty; 04-08-2019 at 11:20 AM.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    Doomsday Cults ... are based on the idea that some sort of punishment is being visited on unfortunate humanity by an all-powerful deity, but what is happening here and now is a direct result of our arrogance and neglect of systems we rely on in pursuit of the mighty dollar and sheer population pressure, .
    Spot on.

I had one here the other day, wanting some pollution images. (Incapable for downloading them herself)

Burbling twaddle about humans messing up and how god will fix it all.
    Then wanted a pic of the earth, I said ever looked at the universe and showed her, the trillions and trillions of galaxies, never mind just stars. And the Milky way, or bit way out in the wops so to speak, how arrogant to think we are so special and important and the entire thing was made just for us.

But it's a waste of time, might as well try to get your point across to a rock.
    Ex-pctek

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    You don't seem to grasp the scale of what is taking place CliveM.

Doomsday Cults in my understanding are based on the idea that some sort of punishment is being visited on unfortunate humanity by an all-powerful deity, but what is happening here and now is a direct result of our arrogance and neglect of systems we rely on in pursuit of the mighty dollar and sheer population pressure, which has been understood since the early 70's but has not gained widespread understanding.

Anyway it doesn't matter what you believe, the facts are all around you.
    You may well be correct but in the meantime I'm not drinking the CoolAid.
    Should I ever see even one of the dramatic doom predictions come true I am quite willing to change my mind.

[QUOTE=B.M.;1291020]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bozo View Post
    Ohh, so you admit that Climate Change has been going on for thousands of years, well before motor vehicles and power stations. Might have been Fluctuance though?
    I have never once denied that climate change has been going on for thousands of years.

What I have said in the past is that the reason for concern is that the current rate of climate change we are experiencing seems to be at a much more rapid rate than what scientists believe has happened in the past.

That is the reason for concern, has mankind been responsible for this variance, if so is there anything we can do? If there is something we can do we probably should, and if there isn't anything that we can do to slow/reverse the changes then what does the future hold?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
    Thats a good idea,and everybody should be whipped if they disagree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
    We like to live on the edge.

Now the UN says we must stop eating meat to save the planet.

How about they stop tourism flying and using avgas.
    How about they stop some countries breeding like locusts and using up the worlds resources.

What ever we "save" is outweighed by all the xtra mouths 1 billion in the next few years.
    So what colour is your Adkaf?
    Have you joined Proud to Be Kiwi yet?

VoidMaster

Yes, perhaps all "intelligent" species no matter what planet in the universe they evolve on run into the same problem, our destiny, so to speak and that's why we've never been visited by space-faring aliens.

See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox

also this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Filter

So in at least one statement the Bible has it right: "within us are the seeds of our own destruction".

I know within small areas in Biblical days, townships have grown in population to the point where they have to expand or die so maybe this applies in larger scenarios as well and that is where this quote comes from.
    Last edited by zqwerty; 09-08-2019 at 10:57 AM.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    Now the UN says we must stop eating meat to save the planet.

How about they stop some countries breeding like locusts and using up the worlds resources.

What ever we "save" is outweighed by all the xtra mouths 1 billion in the next few years.
    Exactly Digby.

NZ gets more tourists than it's entire population every year. Yes I know !! we would go broke, but they want to reduce the no of cows' instead and we will go broke here as well. Some would say we are already broke and that's probably true, where's our o/s debt up to now?.

The XY generation will have to make a decission about sterilization, shades of nazi Germany !!, they did; but it hasn't stopped the proliferation of our species at present.

We had two our two have had two, work it out.

China had a one child policy, they have raised that to two, otherewise there wouldn't be enough population to sustain the care of the elderly.

We are in a cleft stick as one would say or sh!t.

lurking.

Protester standing outside Parliament every day until climate action accepts he will eventually drown

Those concerned for Langridge’s wellbeing say they hope he’ll change his mind when he sees the ocean coming.

The protester who has vowed to stand outside Parliament every day until the Government announces a climate emergency says he accepts that his quest will most likely end in drowning.

Ollie Langridge, who has been standing outside Parliament for around 80 days now, says he wants the Government to declare a climate emergency so that New Zealand can do nothing “more loudly.”

“At the moment we’re just very quietly doing nothing about climate,” he said. “If we declared a climate emergency, it would declare loudly to the world that while we’re doing nothing, we’re making an awful lot of noise about it. That’s all I’m really asking.”

When Langridge first set up camp nearly three months ago, he expected it was only a matter of time before an emergency was declared, but now he fully anticipates that he’ll drown as the rising sea gradually swallows Wellington’s CBD and consumes him.

“Didn’t really think about that,” he shrugged, glumly.

But Langridge has no regrets, as he’s not doing this for himself, but “for my children.”

Asked what specific climate fears he had for his children, he clarified: “Oh no, they just thought it would be funny if I got stuck out here.”

“The joke is getting a bit old, to be honest.”

The Government presently has no plans to alleviate Langridge’s suffering, and Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says she is not presently willing to declare a climate emergency just so he can go home.

She was however willing to offer something “perhaps a bit smaller,” like a “climate situation” or a “climate inconvenience.”

Longridge was unmoved by the offer of an inconvenience, but said he is “still mulling” whether he’d accept a situation.

(Kudos to TheCivilian)
    Last edited by WalOne; 09-08-2019 at 11:33 AM.
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post

Yes it's someone elses fault isn't it.
    Not us.
    we don't breed too much, others do.
    we don't fly around - others do.

It's like cats, you get a cat, it has kittens, some of those kittens then breed and have more kittens. Next thing, there's a cat hoarding issue.
    Ditto humans.

You have how many kids? 2 replaces you and partner. More than 2 cause the cat problem scenario.
    Ex-pctek