Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: key logers

Somewhere ......... near here....sometimes...near there too.......

Default key logers

so having 3 days of severe probs on FB and pc and so downloaded kaperspy and ran and it found a trogan keylogger. it got rid of it.

my question is............what does it search or use on a pc? the trogan.
    Im not trying to be difficult it just comes naturally.

Default Re: key logers

change your internet banking passwords for starters.

it looks at the keys you use to logon to things (like bank sites) and gets your passwords - a geek here will no doubt put it better but that's it in a nutshell.

Quote Originally Posted by allblack View Post
    change your internet banking passwords for starters.

it looks at the keys you use to logon to things (like bank sites) and gets your passwords - a geek here will no doubt put it better but that's it in a nutshell.
    No need to explain any better, that sums it up 100% ANY key you type it sends to whom ever loaded the keylogger in.

If you went to your bank site, typed in the user name / Password -- Thanks you have just given whom ever that info, and they can do what ever you can if you logged in, unless you have a 2nd authentication required that changes each time you log in. Eg: text via cell phone.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 27-06-2019 at 04:55 PM.

Keyloggers record all your keystrokes and some also take screenshots.
    Keystrokes - so if you logged into bank, there is first your login and second your password. They now have those, plus everything else you typed.

However, I never found many in all the years of scanning PCs. Often I would find something flagged as a keylogger and if so I checked manually for the relevant files.

Only once did I find a real actual one, with all it's bits on the PC.

Mostly you'd find one file, and not anything else.

If you really want to check you need a firewall where you can specify outgoing files, and see what exactly is outgoing.

So perhaps, you had the one file type and not an actual one.

Hard to say without having inspected it. best to remove it all anyway but panic? Maybe.
    As a precaution, chnage all your passwords. And NEVER have auto login, malware can knick them off your machine.
    Actually so could I, I know where browsers store them.
    Ex-pctek

Had huge issues with logging in to stuff for the last few days, facebook got shut down cos of suspicious behaviour etc suposedly by me, anything that goes in and out lately has been pretty serious stuff and court, police etc are conected. so it wouldnt surprise me if all my data has been compromised and the things I needed most have mostllikely now been lost.

so we have stopped all mesages, other than txt via ph at this stage phones have been shown as clean.

kapersky says pc now clean........ but Im thinking save photos and do a complete reinstall if I can find my authentication disk / number

and not save emails or anything like that.

I no longer trust any passwords, so when pc is clean again new passwords it is.

so watch this space.......... or pf1 for a huge sos thread on my pc not reinstalling....

Oh and for 3 days in a row I changed passwords........... didnt make a difference..............I now no why. new passwords are all go now
    Last edited by beetle; 27-06-2019 at 06:01 PM.

cripes i'm rusty on this.
    couple of main types of keyloggers. most basic one records all key strokes. a bit of work to go through and find the login details and password.
    the other is one that only records passwords on the sites its programmed to. eg it waits until you go a bank site or paypal etc.
    don't forget it also has to phone home. so a decent firewall can block it from sending info out.

and to make life fun there is the hardware versions that someone physically plugs into your keyboard.
    Tweak it till it breaks

so its killing the pc slowly, stuff disapeered off the desk top, documents etc.
    so on a laptop, as the pc slowly seems to eat itself........ realised that the back ups I thought i was doing are not there. so the photos being the only think i care about are probably non retrievable.

gona be a long while before anything gets fixed.

most likely I personally no the people who put this on pc. the folders that have disapeered relate solely to them........

life can be so cruel at times.

Get a second opinion on whats there - Meaning if something is still going kaperspy very well May have missed it.

You can get a free non install-able scanner, Once downloaded it unpacks to a Folder BUT doesn't actually install.

https://www.emsisoft.com/en/home/emergencykit/ EEK for short - its about 323MB.

Select #2 then Set it to do a custom scan - When its finished it will give you a detailed result and options. This is the one I use as a option along with Nod32 - only ever found one minor PUP that I had told Nod32 to ignore.

NOTE: It does take a while to scan.

Missed a piece Re the Pictures being gone -- Maybe NOT Download Shadow Explorer / Portable version https://www.shadowexplorer.com/downloads.html

Unzip it, run it - aim it at the C or what ever drive they were, select any date it shows, the auto backups still may have them. If they are there simply copy back off to a secure ( Clean) place.

Example:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shadow.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	9779

Duct tape and WD40 should sweeten it all up.
    (Check the cleaners didn't unplug things in the night first though.)
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.