Default Is the Roku Ultra is good as it looks?

king to replace my aging WD Media player, has anyone had any experience with the Roku Ultra?

Cheers
    ' The Ghost of Tom Joad '

Default Re: Is the Roku Ultra is good as it looks?

What type of media do you play? And was your wd the one that was a streamer of played local media?

Most media players now are what I consider as streamers. They run apps which allow the app makers to show their Content. Eg Netflix, Hulu amazon prime etc.

You have to have access to, and subscriptions to these services to access their content.

Most rokus fall into this category (I have a 3). Unless the roku ultra has an inbuilt hard drive or something, Id expect it the same.

Also given you have to import a roku, there are no local nz apps (light box, fan pass, spark sport and the like).

So it comes done to what type of things do you want to play. You can do local media, but its normally through something like Plex, which needs a server to run.

Or you can look at a shield tv which can also run Plex, but possibly kodi and some of the NZ apps all on one box.

Or for cheaper the android kodi boxes. Can run local media and there are some methods for getting your sky go subscription, and live broadcast tv.

At the higher end of cost is the Apple TV, like the roku can install apps, but on the same device you can have us, UK and nz apps. And Plex for local media.

Thank you for your response, I usually plug an external hard drive or USB into WD Media player and that would be my primary use until I update my TV at the end of the year. However I would like to see what streaming channels that I might be able to watch.
    ' The Ghost of Tom Joad '

Ex-pctek