Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Slow booting on HP Spectre notebook.

A friend has an overpriced HP Spectre folding notebook with a touch screen.
    It packed a sad while doing an update, and the W10 Home had to be be reinstalled & updated. (you would think that a notebook costing $3,300.00 would have W10 Pro). All working well now, except that it takes ages to start booting after the Start button is pressed. It gives no indication that it is responding until eventually the message to use escape to get to the boot & BIOS menus. I made the mistake of pressing the button again, which switched it off. Very annoying! I searched the BIOS for and fast boot settings and there are none. Once W10 finally starts to boot it does it very quickly.

How can I make it boot faster, or, give some indication of life?

Default Re: Slow booting on HP Spectre notebook.

Don't know if this will help or is even still applicable (from HP Help Forum 19/05/2017)

"I have been spreading the love with a fix for this.

On my Spectre x360 I had to wait 10 minutes for the desktop to come up. My fix I got from HP Chat Support is once you are in windows with the desktop type msconfig in the search and open it. Under the services tab disable App Readiness.

The issue came in with a recent Windows 10 update."

Disable Fast Start in Win : Control Panel : Power Options

Is it being shut down, or just put into hibernate/sleep ?

Is the delay , a delay turning on /POST, or a delay loading windows ?
    It may be stuck in a update failure loop. Trying to install the same failing update everytime Win starts loading. Have a look in Winupdate history.
    There may also be HP's preloaded crapware causing issues.

A clean re-install would be a good option.
    Or MSConfig & startup disable all startup items & non-ms services

VoidMaster

Yes I am now the owner of a laptop that was doing just this, slow boot up then always downloading something or another for two years or so before the owner threw it against a wall twice in frustration. She always used to put it into hibernate because it took so long to boot from scratch.

I bought it for $20 with a broken screen and malfunctioning keyboard.

Turned out it had been trying to get from 1703 to 1709 without succeeding for almost two years, downloading each 7 Gig update about twice a week, failing to update then redownloading again.

WTF, who is supervising MS software design?

I forced it to update to 1903 and it is now a great little laptop albeit with an external keyboard and screen LOL.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post

Turned out it had been trying to get from 1703 to 1709 without succeeding for almost two years, downloading each 7 Gig update about twice a week, failing to update then redownloading again.

I forced it to update to 1903 and it is now a great little laptop albeit with an external keyboard and screen LOL.
    Yes. Win 10 auto update is a pain for ordinary end user. However, it maybe 'fun and thrill' for 'Advanced' users and computer techs, though.
    Last edited by bk T; 20-06-2019 at 08:57 AM.

[QUOTE=zqwerty;1289878

.[/QUOTE]

Win update : MS dont give a rats arse. Thats how it seems .
    The same people who released a Win update that deleted docs saved/synced in MS's own cloud storage : they were warned by insiders but released it as is anyaway

Ive seen that issue failed update loop far far too often. If an update is failing & rolling back, surely to god that would be a flag for Win not to keep re-downloading it .

The latest Im seeing, Win10 completely removes a Vaild licenced activated Office 2013/2016 install , completely removed & replaced with a Office365 trial (that will expire )
    My God, googling the issue , its been happening since 2 years back : still never fixed obviously .

They take away control over updates & give us untested updates & avert laden crapware in updates in return

VoidMaster

After two or three aborted update instances it should raise a flag or alert telling the owner of the device to take it to an expert as it is not doing "routine" (LOL) updates correctly, you don't need any software writing skills to see that this is important to avoid customer dissatisfaction.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Win update : MS dont give a rats arse. Thats how it seems .
    The same people who released a Win update that deleted docs saved/synced in MS's own cloud storage : they were warned by insiders but released it as is anyaway

Ive seen that issue failed update loop far far too often. If an update is failing & rolling back, surely to god that would be a flag for Win not to keep re-downloading it .

The latest Im seeing, Win10 completely removes a Vaild licenced activated Office 2013/2016 install , completely removed & replaced with a Office365 trial (that will expire )
    My God, googling the issue , its been happening since 2 years back : still never fixed obviously .

They take away control over updates & give us untested updates & avert laden crapware in updates in return
    This is another very sore point. The owner of the HP Spectre was persuaded by PB Tech to purchase Microsoft Office, it consisted of a small box with a card in it giving a Microsoft address, and a serial number. I tried to reinstall it, but was told that the ID/Serial number was obsolete, and I should apply for a new one! They then said that proof of identity was required. By this time I was fuming, and told them where to put it! Installed an older copy of Microsoft Office instead. I have shown her Libre Office, and Only Office. I also advised her to use Google Documents, and Google Sheets setting up Google drive for her. At least she won't lose any data the next time W10 goes AWOL. I hate using Windows because its always busy doing something else. I use Mint, with W7 running in VM Ware for those few times that I need Windows.

"avoid customer dissatisfaction"

pfft, when did MS care about that with some of the decisions over win10 & win8. There's a reason Win8 was so widely hated , MS didnt care about customer dissatisfaction, they ignored what people wanted.
    That attitude carried over into Win10 , despite the reason win10 was rushed out so quickly was because 8 was so widely despised: lessons learnt : none

Ive a Win10 laptop that hadnt been turned on for about 3 weeks. I needed to urgently use it for one 5 minute task ..... noope .
    As soon as its turned on Win10 starts downloading & installing updates , grinding it to a halt speedwise . Active hours mean b*gger all .
    Thats the sort of reason why 10 is less than suitable for notebooks : need to do a urgent email before
    heading off to work in the morning : MS decided updates get precedence over usability, so wait wait wait wait wait ......

Quote Originally Posted by mzee View Post
    This is another very sore point. The owner of the HP Spectre was persuaded by PB Tech to purchase Microsoft Office, it consisted of a small box with a card in it giving a Microsoft address, and a serial number.
    The number you get with Full retail versions of Office 2016 isnt the activation/install key.
    They force you to go online, use the supplied keycard number to get the install key & download Office.

That makes no sense at all. Give us the damn activation/install key with the product. Why force your customers to go through the extra steps. What will happen (and does) ; a few years later customer doesnt remember the MS a/c
    that office was activated in, so cant (easily) redownload & re-install
    All it achieves is to p*ss everyone off.

This is exactly what happened with the 'removed' Office install I mentioned above. No one is sure what MS a/c(login/pass) was used to download/activate Office .