Default Phone no service

I recently was given a used Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini. I was told that it is unlocked and accepts all networks. I put my Spark sim and and it did not work at all. I then proceeded to check the Spark compatibility page only to find that will not work and also the same for Skinny.

Have then tried a Vodafone sim and that also doesnít work. Have checked the mobile networks settings and both 2Degrees and Vodafone show up. If I select either of the two networks it says unable to connect, try later.

Also reset the phone and that didnít do anything.

Any ideas as to whatís happening?

Default Re: Phone no service

My own phone occasionally loses contact with the Sim card (giving No Service message), and I need to power down, remove and wipe the contact surface of the Sim, and reinsert.

Maybe, if you're lucky, this will be all you need.
    If not, Google shows step by step guides to unlock the S3.

I have taken the sim out and wiped it clean and still same issue?

Still assuming (hoping) it might be the sim contacts, you could try lifting the sim a fraction higher in its frame by placing a piece of paper, cut to the same shape as the sim, in the cradle that holds it, and then resting the sim on top.

You need to be sure the paper will stay in place, and not become a piece of debris stuck in the innards of your phone!

Last option will cost you some bucks... buy a new sim from your preferred provider, and if it works, port your old number across to it.

There's probably better options, but my experience with phones is very limited... but if nobody else is offering any ideas, then, kinda sadly, my ideas might be the only options you'll have to play with.

I put in a 2Degrees sim and it was recognised immediately. Strange it doesn’t recognise Vodafone. Phone is going to need a new battery, current one isn’t very good.

Old guy

That looks as though it is locked to 2 Degrees inspite of what you were told. If you are happy with that your problem is solved.

Quote Originally Posted by QW. View Post
    I put in a 2Degrees sim and it was recognised immediately. Strange it doesnít recognise Vodafone. Phone is going to need a new battery, current one isnít very good.
    that phone is hopelessly obselete. Dont spend ANY money on it
    Instead of buying a batt for a approx 6 year old phone, spend your money on say a Vodafone branded smartphone .

Or buy a lesser known named phone on AliExpress.
    I got myself a Oukitel K10000 Max. Cost less than NZ$400, has a huge battery, and with all the unnecessary apps turned off the battery will give 3-4 weeks of service without needing a recharge (great for backpacking without any battery anxiety). Plus I really hate the constant need for charging of most 'consumer' phones.

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    That looks as though it is locked to 2 Degrees inspite of what you were told. If you are happy with that your problem is solved.
    2D don't generally lock phones however at the time when these phones were around there were a lot of stolen ones that had their IMEI blocked by Telecom and Vodafone but were OK on 2D. Used to see them on TradeMe saying "Only works on 2 Degrees"

But as 1101 says it's way too old to do anything with.
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company