Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Assistance With Hardware Upgrade: Ryzen 5-1400 CPU and AMD Radeon RX 570 GPU

Okay. This is what I was afraid of, as my own parents advised.

I bet the computer lab at the local schoolhouse has a better PC I can rely on. I only hope that I can simply transfer the current OS hard drive out of my computer and load it on whatever new one I've gotten.

I've heard that Windows operating systems since Vista are made to be relocated now, so it's worth a try.

Older by the minute

Default Re: Assistance With Hardware Upgrade: Ryzen 5-1400 CPU and AMD Radeon RX 570 GPU

To transfer your operating system to another PC needs some skill. You would be best advised to seek help in doing this from some computer shop or at least ask the question of Google. You will find Google helpful from a lot of people from around the world. As they say, Google is your friend. Right hand side of this page you could search using "Search Thread". Just put in your topic and you might get lucky.

Bear in mind that Win7 is coming to an end. You should look at installing Win10, it is not as bad as you first thought.

Look at this https://www.howtogeek.com/239815/why...ther-computer/
    Last edited by Bryan; 13-06-2019 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Bear in mind that Win7 is coming to an end. You should look at installing Win10, it is not as bad as you first thought.

Look at this https://www.howtogeek.com/239815/why...ther-computer/
    On the current mantle PC I am on right now, I successfully transplanted the HP Slim Line HDD to the mantle PC and booted it seamlessly. I got lucky, and if I go for refurbished or surplus auction, I might luck out again.

As for Windows Ten, my father told me that about two or so years after it was released, all the problems and bugs, etc., that I experienced were resolved. As it turned out, having got the Windows Ten I hated within a year of coming out, I was simply so old-fashioned that I expected an OS to be fully released and functional, with updates simply being security fixes.

Quote Originally Posted by TurtleShroom View Post
    On the current mantle PC I am on right now, I successfully transplanted the HP Slim Line HDD to the mantle PC and booted it seamlessly. I got lucky, and if I go for refurbished or surplus auction, I might luck out again.

As for Windows Ten, my father told me that about two or so years after it was released, all the problems and bugs, etc., that I experienced were resolved. As it turned out, having got the Windows Ten I hated within a year of coming out, I was simply so old-fashioned that I expected an OS to be fully released and functional, with updates simply being security fixes.
    Honestly , you have 2 options: Windows10 or Linux

XP, Vista are End of Life , Windows7 is end of life Jan next year. So going forward, its Win10 (or Win8.1) or Linux
    Win10 isnt that bad at all . Many of the "issues" werent caused by 10, but self inflicted or due to hardware with incompatible software or drivers (that hardly ever happens)
    Win10 updates still occasionally cause issues, as did Win7 updates in the past . There has allways been ocassional issues with Win updates (on Vista, xp, 7,8), probably on average less with 10 .

Transplanting the HD from one PC to another : sometimes it works , sometimes it doesnt . Doing that , often you are just moving years of issues onto a new PC .
    There are ways to make it work , when it doesnt work. Usually not worth the effort unless there are very good reasons for doing this.

Since I am already here, I'd like to ask you on your opinion of a potential upgraded PC I am looking at: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CV9G1BO..._t1_B07S8F6BFJ

I am also curious about this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N4C89TL...d_i=B07N4C89TL

The one that is NOT Small Form Factor is my preference because of its size and expanding capabilities. Also, I don't like to cut holes in the chassis for the PCI cards to stick out. However, the smaller one has a FOUR Core CPU instead of two, which is obscenely better than what I'm accustomed to.

Either of these computers are essentially perfect for my needs, and with the upgraded hardware I mentioned, they could last me another decade. Or more.

Would either of these allow for the CPU or GPU I'm looking at to be put in them?
    Last edited by TurtleShroom; 13-06-2019 at 10:22 AM.

Older by the minute

First one. Scroll down and see "Comparison with". Maybe the $179 might be better but what does Win10 renewed mean? Is that a yearly extra cost?

Second one down has lots of addons that you would need to pay. Scroll down and see the reviews, one guy doesn't like this one too much!

you should be able to use your GPU but both will have built in graphics anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Honestly , you have 2 options: Windows10 or Linux
    Er...no.
    If it's a gaming PC then there is one: Win10

While Linux has improved considerably for gaming its' still not there 100%.

Steam has a number of options but you sure can't think, I'll get the latest whatever game and run it on Linux, WINE, Playon Linux and all the rest....it doesn't work always. Some do, many don't.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by TurtleShroom View Post
    Since I am already here, I'd like to ask you on your opinion of a potential upgraded PC I am looking at: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CV9G1BO..._t1_B07S8F6BFJ

I am also curious about this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N4C89TL...d_i=B07N4C89TL
    HP SFF will use NON STANDARD parts. You wont be able to upgrade the power supply .
    Both are SFF , so wont be compatible with most gaming video cards

"2.9 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo" its old , obselete , 2011 . That having win10 preinstalled sounds dodgy . It certainly wouldnt have come with Win10.

Forget about buying old PC's in the hope to upgrade the CPU.

Pretty much everything I find is Small Form Factor, or Miniature, or Slim Line, etc. etc., but they're all I can see that are an affordable price. In fact, I've been searching most of the evening and EVERYTHING is Small Form Factor.