Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Assistance With Hardware Upgrade: Ryzen 5-1400 CPU and AMD Radeon RX 570 GPU

Good afternoon.

After almost ten years on the same PC, and after around six years using the same dedicated GPU, my luck and forward compatibility have finally run out. For the first time since I got my desktop computer, I cannot play recently released games. I discovered this after finding that I could not load "Tropico VI" because of its Unreal Engine.

The PC I used for a decade was a S5212Y Slim Line Model by Hewlett-Packard. It had a Pentium Dual-Core E-50200 CPU with 2.5GHZ in processing power, and was a sixty-four bit architecture. It ran Windows Seven with the maximum allowed RAM (four gigabytes). I also had an additional, dedicated GPU- an AMD 6450 Dedicated Graphics Card -that I moved to the new PC described below.

That PC could not be expanded or upgraded, and was too small to fit all my needs. Consequently, I transfered my hard drive and all its file, settings, etc., to a new computer that had sat on the fireplace mantle in the den of our house. It was used to stream college volleyball tournaments when my sister played the sport.

The mantle PC has an "Optiplex 740 Enhanced" Model motherboard and was manufactured by Dell. For a CPU, it uses an AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core Processor 5200 with 2.7GHZ in processing power. As with the previous one, it runs Windows Seven and has a sixty-four bit architecture. Using RAM from the HP Slim Line PC, the mantle PC now has eight gigabytes of RAM. The AMD 6450 was moved to it without issue.

I find the current PC satisfactory, but in order to future-proof it and play my games more efficiently, I have elected to request a new CPU and GPU for the computer. My birthday is coming up on the twenty-seventh of this month, and I need to ensure that those purchasing the parts are able to get parts that work with this PC.

After extensive research and discussions with men knowing their computers, the following CPU was recommended to me: the AMD Ryzen 5-1400 CPU (on sale for ninety dollars, full cost one hundred sixty).
    I also found this GPU on sale, recommended by PC World: the AMD Aorus Radeon RX 570. It costs one hundred seventy dollars on sale.

You will find images of the motherboard attached following this message.

The questions I need to confirm are as follows:
    1. Will the AMD Aorus Radeon RX 570 GPU fit in the PCI ports of the Dell Optiplex 740 Enhanced motherboard?
    2. Is it possible to replace the removable CPU on the Dell Optiplex 740 Enhanced with the AMD Ryzen 5-1400 CPU?
    3. Does a standard power supply run all of this, or would a larger power supply be needed?
    4. The AMD Aorus Radeon RX 570 GPU does not have a VGA port. What kind of adapter will I need
    5. Should I place the aforementioned GPU into my computer, will there be enough PCI slots to hold an expansion bay card that adds PS/2 ports? If not, is there an adapter with a male USB port and a female PS/2 port?

Thank you for any assistance you may render.
    -TURTLESHROOM
    Last edited by TurtleShroom; 13-06-2019 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Forgot to describe the hardware

Arrow Re: Assistance With Hardware Upgrade: Ryzen 5-1400 CPU and AMD Radeon RX 570 GPU

You will find a link to the pictures of the motherboard and BIOS as follows: https://ufile.io/c4ynoem9r2j00v2

Default Re: Assistance With Hardware Upgrade: Ryzen 5-1400 CPU and AMD Radeon RX 570 GPU

Don't waste your time, what you really needs is COMPLETE new build
    Ryzen 3000 series 8 core cpu, new motherboard and case , 1TB SSD drive, 600-800 watt power supply. etc probably a new monitor as well.

Default Re: Assistance With Hardware Upgrade: Ryzen 5-1400 CPU and AMD Radeon RX 570 GPU

Quote Originally Posted by apsattv View Post
    Ryzen 3000 series 8 core cpu, new motherboard and case, 1TB SSD drive, 600-800 watt power supply. etc probably a new monitor as well.
    Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your input and your time to help me.

I do not seek to purchase a new PC. My current PC's contents are over ten years old, and due to the nature of proprietary motherboards and hardware (etc.), I can't simply transplant my Windows Seven hard drive of ten years over to a brand new machine. Furthermore, a PC with those specs would probably exceed five hundred, if not a thousand dollars.

1. The hardware will be gifts from my family for my birthday. I doubt they'll spend more than three hundred dollars. We do not have that kind of money.

2. Eight cores? That'll cost a fortune. Four cores is gracious plenty.

3. Do you have ANY idea what a solid-state drive costs, much less one baring a FULL TERABYTE? We aren't rich! Traditional hard disk drives may not last as long and may have moving parts, but they are cheap. My current hard drive has over six hundred gigabytes. Alongside that, a second hard drive is one hundred fifty or so gigabytes, as well as a third that is slightly less than one hundred. I have a one terabyte external hard drive (it being SSD) that I use to back up my computer's system images (etc.), and as such, it can't host or run an OS.

4. If the power supply doesn't work, it's coming out of my pocket.

5. My monitor is, honestly, too big. My bedroom is being renovated and, for that reason, I have to use a smaller monitor that I used since at least 2007 AD. Its resolution is 1024 x 768 . The monitor I normally use is bigger, but I don't have its specifications on me.

6. I hate Windows Ten due to issues with it when the OS first came out.
    Last edited by TurtleShroom; 13-06-2019 at 07:49 AM. Reason: A gentleman always thanks someone for helping them

Older by the minute

Have you used Google to ask your questions?, you should do that I think.

I think your setup is too old to future proof it. I doubt that the Ryzen CPU would fit your motherboard anyway.

I thought that the assistance of other men would be faster and more effective than Googling something I do not have knowledge on. I have never taken out a CPU before.

Also, concerning the CPU socket, it seems that I may have an AM2 Socket.

Older by the minute

Have a read of this "https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/optix_740_techspecs.pdf".

I'm afraid that your m/b is too old for the new/newer hardware. You will either have to put up with what you have got or take the advice of apsattv and upgrade. Check out Trademe for some ideas. Do some research on the various PCs as there have been major advancements since your PC was manufactured. CPUs and Memory are much more advanced and they do not go in old motherboards.

Your motherboard will only accept older AMD CPUs and is likely not worth it. You'd need to find the support page for that model optiplex to find a list of supported CPUs but there will be no ryzens on it.

Some options on a budget depending on your area and the market:
    1. buy a second hand gaming PC - get advice on the specs before buying if you are not certain
    2. buy an ex lease business class hp or dell with an i5 in it and add a low profile GT1030, 1050, 1050ti graphics card depending what you can afford.
    3. build something new - the most budget friendly option is an AMD ryzen 2200G or 2400G using onboard graphics with at least 8GB or DDR4 RAM. You will need a new motherboard as well. This can be upgraded with a better graphics card or faster CPU in future but will game ok as is for now.

The 570 will probably work ok in your machine but will not be able to perform to it's best due to the weak platform it's on, 10 years is a good run for a gaming machine I normally expect 2-5 out of mine. And yes it might need a better Power supply to run and that is an issue because optiplex machines can be proprietary with their parts meaning a standard PSU might not fit in the case, you'd have to have a look to confirm.

You might be able to eke out a bit more life with your PC if you can find a cheap athlon x4 that's on the manufacturers support list, and I'd suggest the same nvidia 1030, 1050, 1050ti options mentioned earlier as they are the best graphics cards you can get that don't need extra power from the PSU and are available in low profile for slimline cases. Also even a 1030 is a huge upgrade over a 6450 https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...m283726vsm7821
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by apsattv View Post

I would agree.
    Sometimes you can keep things like case, optical drive etc but seeing what you started with....meh.

Have a look at Toms guide to choose the best GPU you can afford.

And CPU, but GPU is the most important.

And never mind watts on PSU, you need to check how many amps on the 12v the GPU requires and ensure the PSU can deliver that too.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...rchy,4388.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...rchy,4312.html
    Ex-pctek

Looks like your old system is AM2 based.
    That is so hopelessly obsolete , you really cant upgrade it in any meaningful way.
    It will not be compatible with any modern CPU .

Add to that , Dell of that era sometimes used non standard components .

There are options, IF your motherboard will accept AM3+ , but honestly you will be spending money to buy obeslete hardware .