Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Data Recovery from accidentally formatted external HDD disastrous results!

The file was recovered in less that 5 seconds and plays perfectly. It even has the added subtitles to choose from. I recovered one more file even though I gott message said about recovering incomplete files may not work, a window asked if I wanted to continue, I clicked yes and that file was recovered in 5 seconds and plays perfectly...will wait till scan is completed and then I will go through All it has found in the scan and recover one folder at a time, opening the main folder to expose sub-folders and I will recover them one folder at a time, what I did the last 3 times was choose an option of #1 or #2 to recover and clicked to highlight everything and recovered that. Not this time. One day at a time
    Now I can't be posting blow x blow events so I will be back in 11 hours when scan is finished and I have attempted to recover a few folders.
    cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WHEN THE SCAN IS FINISHED i WILL CHOOSE ONE FOLDER AR A TIME TO RECOVER__ AND THAT GOES FOR SUB .jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	9733   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLICKED RECOVER AND GIVES ME AN OPTION TO RECOVER THAT MOVIE_ I WILL TRY IT_NOTHING TO LOSE.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	9734   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FILE RECOVERED IN 5 SECONDS.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	9735  

Default Re: Data Recovery from accidentally formatted external HDD disastrous results!

Ok the time has come to sling hooks on the data recovery and thread.
    I managed to recover all .avi, H264, MKV and MP4 video files from my recovering them during the Scan Process in groups or 20 to 100+ at a time when I was sure that the files were completely found. I did that by test-playing them in Preview. I won't go into details about M2TS files and SWF files/videos not playing back in Preview. I permitted the scan to run on once it was no longer finding more of the Movies I had opted to scan for by using the option to Filter Movies.
    At end of scan (which is incorrect I explain shortly) the app the says it is "Creating and Intelligent Directory, please wait".... and at the end of that wait it presents a user screen to Recover one of 2 options, Both of which are the same, So having done it 4 times already and recovered one of the 2 options (6 hours to do that) and I find I have a completely useless 2.5TB- 3.4TB mass of data tha is simply filling and wasting precious HDD space, I wasn't keen to do a recovery on the discovered 'lost' data. But, being ever hopeful that maybe this tome after my having managed to whisk away the media files as available, I gave it the go ahead. That has been running for 1 hour now and looks like its going to be another 2-3 hours til finished, so I think I go sleep.
    I will be writing the Recovery Apps' Creators a letter detailing the results I have had and asking them to explain a few things to me, such as:
    1/ The Scan is finishing and shows that it still has 2.5 hours time remaining (???????????????)
    2/ After an 11 hour scan and clicking to close the app I get an option to save its state for an easy and fast get back to the job option. I click to save as an .rsf (RSF File Association 2. File created by Data Recovery Wizard, a program that helps users recover lost data from their computer, storage device, and server; contains recovery scan results for user-specified file types and locations.) and there is NO way that I can get that damn RSF to open in the app user interface! Futhermore, the User Guide about using RSF files and the webpages are complete crap! They say to open the App and click the Import tab and choose the RSF file..... well knock me down with a feather...there is NO tab to click that opens an Import or Export function ( ohhhh. AND the Web blurb said to use the Data Recovery Wizard TRIAL to open the RSF............... well I just so happened to purchase the upgrade from Trial to Pro so I could recover more than the 2GB permitted in the Trial version and ya wouldn't Adam n Eve it..... I try to download/instal the Free DRW so I can fast access the 11 hour scan RSF to work from and I gets told that I have to uninstal the Pro version to be able to instal the Trial job) cor blimey n stone the crows!
    3/ Have a nice day and thanks
    cheers
    garry
    Last edited by kioti; 13-06-2019 at 05:50 AM.

From my earlier post #6

Wanna swap jobs / Data recovery ??
    Been running for 2 days now - up to 1% looks like this drive is really stuffed, even Western digital own tester spat the dummy with to many failed sectors warning. oh well let it run
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    From my earlier post #6

Been running for 2 days now - up to 1% looks like this drive is really stuffed, even Western digital own tester spat the dummy with to many failed sectors warning. oh well let it run
    wainuitech... thanks but no thanks... I still have heaps to do here. I think your task is harder than mine because you are working with a dying/almost dead HDD. I thought about what you are trying to so and I recalled watching a video about removing the platters from a stuffed HDD and putting them into another HDD in which the RW heads and electronics/electrics were good but the platters were naffed.. What is kaput in the HDD you are working on? Ahhhh "failed sectors".. as they're on the platters doing the swap not going to do any good..I don't fancy doing what you are at the moment for that customer. I remember 8-10 year back I bought a 120GB Sata HDD for my computer and though I was in 7th heaven having all that Space to use for my media files. I bought it in Invercargill, had it loaded with quite a lot of files and I returned to Auckland a month later... 1 or 2 week later the HDD failed. after trying to figure what the @#$% was wrong with it I took it back to a branch of the store I bought the drive from in Invers, and the typical type of store staff looked at me and asked if I Defrag the drive? I took offense at his making out that a 6 week old HDD had failed because of my ineptitude. I told the guy that SMART had failed. I didn't have the receipt but they tracked it in Store computer records and said they will give me a new HDD. I thought they'd send it off for repair and I would have all my data ....... nope....I walked away with a replacement 120GB HDD !@#$%^ off because all my media files were in that shop. I was seriously peeeeved!.
    1% recovered in 48 hours huh.... you may make it into the Guinness Book of Records...200 day HDD Coma recovery record.

In the recovery I am doing there are files for EFI and BOOT and the 6 Seagate files that come on the HDDI dreaming that its so easy! All I have to do is recover them and drop them back into the HDD's EFI GPT partition that was made unallocated space in 1 second of the click the wring tab. I can recreate the EFI Partition simply from creating a Partition of the unallocated space.
    Hahahaha if only it were that easy. But hell, what have a got to lose?

cheers and good luck and patience
    Last edited by kioti; 13-06-2019 at 07:20 PM.

1% recovered in 48 hours huh
    NOPE not recovered, still scanning files /folders /directories =0 Still working away just entry after entry after entry of Unreadable sector

STILL at 1% time jumps from over 100 hours to 1 hour -- then up we go again.

Me tinks its a widdle bit k -nackered

BUT hey the PC being used hasn't shut down or turned off
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    NOPE not recovered, still scanning files /folders /directories =0 Still working away just entry after entry after entry of Unreadable sector

STILL at 1% time jumps from over 100 hours to 1 hour -- then up we go again.

Me tinks its a widdle bit k -nackered

BUT hey the PC being used hasn't shut down or turned off
    wainuitech.......... 48 hours scanning gets 1%. Maybe there's only 1% of the sectors that's readable, and ya have done them over and over. Yep sounds like it needs to be skinned at the yard.
    I take it that you haven't done a Surface Test of the Drives platters...or is that the 'scan'?
    PC not shut down or turned off yet huh. Hmmmm Youth in Asia would've pulled the plug on the machine by now to put youit out of misery.

Ok folks, I have some excellent news. in fact I am over the moon. I read a few of the Similar Threads listed and one mentioned a program named GetDataBack and it sounded interesting so I went looksee at it. DL'd it for a 'Trail' thinking it will be like most other trials and either not do any recovery or a limited amount of it. It did no recovery unless the Pro option was purchased.
    What knocked me over was the sheer speed with which the 'Lost data' was revealed. I opened the app, choose the HDD that was unallocated space and in a blink of an eye all contents of data on the drive was all listed onscreen. No 10.5 hour scan from this new app. So that was enough to get me buying the license there and then, no questions asked.
    I then chose an entry for the Opera's folder (one of the three that I have) and it contained 8 Opera's in Full DVD Format. I clicked 'Copy' and chose to save to an external HDD, and in 20 minutes all 87 GB of 330 files in 46 Directories was beautifully copied to the chosen folder created in the HDD especially for the GetDataBack job at hand. It is fantastic because the Opera's are all in their Own Named and dated folder, with no double ups of VOBS/.IFO/.BUP files and the full Menu showing Scene choices and Audio choices.....and ....its just flipping great!
    15 mins ago I set it about the next task to do, basically, a folder containing 414 .avi movies totaling 214 GB data......... It's doing a grand job and the recovered .avi's have titles and date of release etc ....Fantastic and worth the money.
    The full recovery will be completed in the time taken to do the HDD Scan in the other app I was using and it failing miserably to produce usable results at the end of the 6 hour Recovery process. It is a shame really because I have been well attached and happy with my use of Easeus Partition Master Tech Edition for the past 8-12 years ( hee hee...I had never heard of 'Disk Management' in Windows )
    So tomorrow will be sending an email to Easeus and mentioning the errors, for want of other words, that I had been getting continually using the Data Recovery Wizard. I daresay I will receive a refund as I will not be using the app again. Not that I have had to do a recovery like the one I am now doing.
    I can set the new app to Go Get it ALL and go to bed
    Happy days.
    cheers.
    Last edited by kioti; 14-06-2019 at 12:32 AM.

Job done. I outed the 600 GB Data I had recovered, shifted 1.3GB data from the chosen recovery HDD so I had the needed 2.1 TB usable needed space and set the GetDataBack in action to recover all that it showed available on the external HDD. Full recovery took about 10 hours and it is faultless I am pleased to say.
    I read a couple of web pages about data recovery while the job was being done and the following links were most interesting.
    I will shortly start the task of send the recovered data back to the now formatted and Partition created HDD it was stored on. It can do that while I sleep.
    have a nice day

https://html5.litten.com/updated-how...ly-became-raw/

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/parted...olbox-live-cd/
    Last edited by kioti; 14-06-2019 at 09:49 PM.