Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Data Recovery from accidentally formatted external HDD disastrous results!

Hi. This one will raise a raucous of laughs. I mentioned the screwed HDD in another thread so I make this one quick. Accidentally made a 1 4TB External HDD into Unallocated space. Only see the Unallocated space on the HDD in Disk Management or Easeus Partition Master 10 Pro. Tried all manner of things to rebuild partition , rebuild MBR ( on a GPT disk???) everything failed. Contacted a local Comp-Fix store see if they could do it and guy said all I have to do is create a Partition.... .fall over laughing starts now
    I had 2 Recovery apps...MiniTool and Xboft, both would only allow recovery of 2GB fro the 3.76TB lost data in the "Lost Partition".......... Easeus Data recovery Wizard free version (Trial) is the same 2GB permitted to get back.
    So I upped the Trial of Easeus DRW to full Pro version, and I created a 3.76TB NTFS Partion in of the Unallocated Space. Now the fun really starts and you'll be ROFLYFAO very soon
    Recovery scan takes 11 hours to complete.... it shows 3 recovery options ...#1...#2 and #3.........#1 and #2 are exactly the same apart from #2 has 370 MB more data available.
    Recovery takes a further 6 hours!
    Ok ..... I have done these damn recoveries 2 Times choosing the #1 option and the #2 option I did yesterday, after the duting the scan I can click to see what has been found and it shows the Opera's in the VIDEO_TS folders and there are only 1 of the needed files, and what I am getting are Full DVD Backups of Opera's and inside the VIDEO_TS folder all the files have been duplicated Twice! They do not play, even after I have moved the duplicated files to a folder, I can get the .VOB's to play but at end of it does not move on at all to the next VOB in the sequence... None of the recovered .avo/H264/.mkv any media format will not play. VLC shows no play time and W10v1903 Media Player says "Cannot play this file it is either corrupted or the file format is not recognized.that is complete crap because W10 media player will play the video format when I play movies from other External HDD's!!!! All recovered .jpg or .png files will not open in W10 'Photo'... says same thing...doesn't recognize the format......
    As for the Music recovered.... entire Discographies of say Led Zepplin....... All tracks in a folder are in triplicate with suffix .00 and .000 same as the VIDEO-TS folders! Nothing plsys...well one or two tracks do...and what is worse, the damn tracks in the Album folders are not right. Whole lotta Love by Led Zep sounds like its being played by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra!!!!
    I kid you not.
    Ok when you have picked ya selves up off the floor and recomposed y'all, the question is " Should I do the recovery of lost data from the Unallocted Space and should I have NOT created a pertition as the techie advised . In fact, i think he thought I was talking about having screwed a C Drive because when I said its a GPT Drive and the words MBR were mentioned he started to go on at me about the UEFI and MBR and GPT and a GPT Reserved partition doesn't have an MBR........ and....and in the end I hung up on him

ps: the Data recovery is miraculously finding 8TB of data on a 4TB HDD....... everything is there twice!!! SMH

Default Re: Data Recovery from accidentally formatted external HDD disastrous results!

edits that were to late to make
    "ps: the Data recovery is miraculously finding 8TB of data on a 4TB HDD....... everything is there twice!!! SMH" that should have said the data recovery SCAN is miraculously finding 8TB of data on a 4TB HDD....... everything is there twice!!! SMH

"after the duting the scan I can click to see what has been found and it shows the Opera's in the VIDEO_TS folders and there are only 1 of the needed files, and what I am getting are Full DVD Backups of Opera's and inside the VIDEO_TS folder all the files have been duplicated Twice!" .................the "after the" shouldn't be there and the word "duting" should be during

ps: I am NOT recovering to the HDD that has the lost data on it. I am recovering the data to another external HDD
    Last edited by kioti; 11-06-2019 at 12:58 PM.

Default Re: Data Recovery from accidentally formatted external HDD disastrous results!

The NUMBER ONE RULE , dont write anything to the HD you are recovering from.
    Dont try & fix partitions , dont try & repair it (you can try that later) . Too late now

Data recovery doesnt allways give back the original file structure . Many of the recovered files may be unusable .
    Worst case : You'll be left with a mess to try & sort through after the recovery . Its not magic, it cant recover whats no longer there .

At least youre getting some data back .

Quote Originally Posted by kioti View Post
    "ps: the Data recovery is miraculously finding 8TB of data on a 4TB HDD....... everything is there twice!!! SMH" that should have said the data recovery SCAN is miraculously finding 8TB of data on a 4TB HDD....... everything is there twice!!! SMH
    Yes, that happens .
    Its a best attempt sort of thing .

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    The NUMBER ONE RULE , dont write anything to the HD you are recovering from.
    Dont try & fix partitions , dont try & repair it (you can try that later) . Too late now

Data recovery doesnt allways give back the original file structure . Many of the recovered files may be unusable .
    Worst case : You'll be left with a mess to try & sort through after the recovery . Its not magic, it cant recover whats no longer there .

At least youre getting some data back .
    1101.......... I never recovered to the hard drive that had the 'lost' data on it.
    "Worst case : You'll be left with a mess to try & sort through after the recovery . Its not magic, it cant recover whats no longer there ." The data IS there. It has NOT been overwritten at all.. all that I really needed was an app that would rebuild the damn table in the HDD and ALL would have miraculously reappeared in its original state because that is what it is in right now...well it was til I created a 3.76TB Partition
    Here are a few pics to crack you up for sure..... NOTHING at all will open to play in any media player or view in Photo
    As for Easeus 3 Quick steps to recover data vids go, well, hell I couldn't have a swig o' me cuppa in the time it did it...AND the info they show is wrong. I getting on to Customer Support when I unload my Minigun

ps: I might just delete the new partition I created and have the l space again. Then I try do a recovery from that. Nothing to lose as I have WFA from the past 53 hours of trying to recover. What's another 11 hour scan going to cost me? Zilch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ALL THOSE .000 ARE DUPLICATES AND NOTHING PLAYS ANYWAY.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	9722   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	INSIDE A VIDEO_TS FOLDER__ALL THE FIES WITH  .000 SHOULDN'T BE THERE.jpg 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	9723   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NONE OF THESE PLAY AT ALL.jpg 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	9724   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TEXT DOC OF A SUBTITLE FOR A MOVIE.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	9725   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	W10 V1903 PHOTO APP DOESN'T SUPPORT .PNG___THAT IS RUBBISH.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	9726  

Last edited by kioti; 11-06-2019 at 03:09 PM.

Wanna swap jobs / Data recovery ??

Got a persons 1TB Laptop drive, almost full, that has failed, got the dreaded "Hard disk failure is imminent" on boot, by then its to late, it HAS failed.

PC wont boot with drive slaved, but reads (just) on a USB -- Says its a 2TB drive (no it aint its 1), errors and failed sectors galore, been scanning for 3 hours so far got to 0% -- Says Time remaining 85 Hours and climbing
    Last edited by wainuitech; 11-06-2019 at 03:25 PM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by kioti View Post

ps: I might just delete the new partition I created and have the l space again. Then I try do a recovery from that
    I wouldnt :-) Just leave the recovery running , its hardly a fast process .
    Some recovery programs give the option to ignore deleted files , that may help .

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Wanna swap jobs / Data recovery ??

Got a persons 1TB Laptop drive, almost full, that has failed, got the dreaded "Hard disk failure is imminent" on boot, by then its to late, it HAS failed.

PC wont boot with drive slaved, but reads (just) on a USB -- Says its a 2TB drive (no it aint its 1), errors and failed sectors galore, been scanning for 3 hours so far got to 0% -- Says Time remaining 85 Hours and climbing
    wainuitech no thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    I wouldnt :-) Just leave the recovery running , its hardly a fast process .
    Some recovery programs give the option to ignore deleted files , that may help .
    1101. well I deleted the partition and started recovery again and after 5 mins into it I click a MKV movie that it has found in the scan and click to Preview it and the Movie Starts playing and will play on its entirety. I have an option to recover it now but I just going to leave it be for now...scan is 10.5 hours
    Eventually I will get it right...I didn't want to click Recover because I dunno if its going to recover to the now Unallocated space Lost Partition or allow me to choose where to recover to.

Name:	NEW SCAN OF LOST PARTITION.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	9727   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NEW SCAN OF LOST PARTITION. 1.jpg 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	9728   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NEW SCAN OF LOST PARTITION. 2__ THE MOVIE PLAYS IN PREVIEW AND SCAN ONLY IS HAPPENEIN.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	9729   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NEW SCAN OF LOST PARTITION. 2__ THE MOVIE PLAYS IN PREVIEW AND SCAN ONLY IS HAPPENEIN. THIS IS T.jpg 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	9730   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NEW SCAN OF LOST PARTITION. 2__ THE MOVIE PLAYS IN PREVIEW AND SCAN ONLY IS HAPPENEIN. THIS IS T.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	9731  

Last edited by kioti; 11-06-2019 at 04:21 PM.

Well, I clicked the Recover Tab and it allows me to choose an option to recover to. I give it a try.
    Can start the scan again if no good result. Although I am hesitant to do a recovery while the RW Heads are on use to scan....but here goes.

Name:	CLICKED RECOVER AND GIVES ME AN OPTION TO RECOVER THAT MOVIE_ I WILL TRY IT_NOTHING TO LOSE.jpg 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	9732