Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default W10 v 1903 Windows Defender a PITA

Windows Defender is hacking me off, blocking sites and whisking away downloads to Gawd knows where. Maybe it has its good points but to me they are not seen. I have full Comodo Internet Security and from what I read, Defender is rendered inactive if the AV and Firewall I have is up and running. Well that is not the case in this W10 of mine. I have even gone to Settings and Windows Defender Firewall and turned it off for both Private and Public Networks. And still it blocks sites! I wanted to download a free Driver updater, Driver Max and that link was whipped away 3 times til I right clicked it in Downloads and told it to download anyway! Maybe there is a reason for Defender being a PITA to me and not see it til I had Driver Max installed, did a scan and it found 13 outa date drivers in my system and updates for them. I thinking as usual these "FREE" apps suddenly inform me wen I click to Update a driver that I then have to buy the Pro version because the freebie only does the scan...yeah yeah, seen it before. It did say that the Version 9.2 I had is out of date and to get the new v10 so I gave it the go ahead and got that installed. After that and finding the 13 new drivers I could download/instal but only one at a time, and me being wary even though I had chosen to ignore Defender and giving the OK to download the drivermax. My wariness said to download instal a driver for nothing more serious than the MS USB Keyboard. The driver file was about 1.5MB size. Downloaded it and clicked to instal it and this is where I sat for watching it saying "checking your computer" .well I thinking uhuh, why? you said the driver I had is old and you can supply a up to date driver...yep, for 5 minutes it 'checked' my computer before it installed the driver and as soon as that was done the proverbial hit the fan. Flashing windows and screaming panic type Beep beep beep saying Your computer has 3 Viruses and to click OK so it could be fixed. You have X amount of seconds before your computer is rendered unusable and all data will be wiped out ( That was a fullscreen with a Windows logo and saying it is from MS Windows, etc etc.... it had installed Chrome and that was now my Default browser, web pages were opening at a rate of 20 in 3 seconds, redirections to sites, sexy sheilas win glossy video poses with arses in me face...etc etc the faster I clicked the icon in task bar to close them they just kept on a coming in. Even if I closed the Browser it just came back to life and continued its gatling gun opening sites.
    Once I got it under control I used MalwareBytes to scan. Well, I now had 476 infections! PUP's, trojan droppers and all sorts of crap. I made a list of some of the infections names and what company they from, opened Control Panel>Programs and Features to see what was there. There were a couple new things but when I opened Reco Pro uninstaller there were a lot more showing than what was in Programs and Features.
    Inlog Optomizer 3.1
    Multitimer version 1.0
    NTFS Data Recovery 11
    DiskProtect9527 version 10.16
    DreamTrips version 2.12
    Web Companion versio 4.7.1987.3881 (Lavasoft)
    FastDataX version 1.2 (_________)
    foldershare (in C drive Program Files x86)
    There were more one named something like Linkury and that is a Browser hijacker......MBAM had hundreds entries for it in the 476 infections.
    Some of the apps shown in Revo wouldn't uninstal, said invalid uninstaller. Got rid of them in the end, used Scan and deleted all that was found
    After reboot did another MBam scan and quarantined another 43 infections. Named same as others so I thought I have a prob these damn infections are respawning!.
    Got shot off them all and ran Zemanta to scan and it came up clean.
    Only beef I have now is that since the infections and removal of them, my Edge Browser has gone massive fullscreen size and even though Resolution is set to be Recommended 1680x1050 Edge is more like its running at 600x800..but not quite that bad put it to you this war, a web page I have to use the up/down and left / right sliders to read a Wikipedia page and there is nowhere I can see in Edge to get into its settings and change back from what it is now and not have the Google Search. I think it was Bing before it got changed in the mayhem.
    Strange thing (one of many) is that WebCompanion being listed as an infection. I googled it and was informed that it is bundled in with Minitool Partition Wizard, which I DL'd to try to get back a deleted partition in a 4TB Extrnal HDD. Web companion is 'secretly installed'
    Oh yeah I also had Avast AV showing in Revo Pro. Why the hell would I want Avast I have used Comodo IS for years.
    https://www.sevenforums.com/software...companion.html
    Last edited by kioti; 07-06-2019 at 11:51 PM.

Default Re: W10 v 1903 Windows Defender a PITA

The joys of Windows 10! I got really hacked off with Defender because it insisted on removing some of my downloads before I even had a chance to look at them. I disabled it in Group Policy, but it still carried on in the background. Eventually I booted with Fat Dog Linux, searched Windows for any reference to Defender, and removed the lot. I was then able to install Avira & Malwarebytes, & had no more problems. I have since gone to Linux Mint for my 'daily driver', and Windows 7 for the few times that I need Windows.
    I love Mint. Its simple, requires very little maintenance, no Antivirus, firewalls. It produces a list of available updates, but unlike W10 you are the Boss!

The joys of Windows 10! I got really hacked off with Defender because it insisted on removing some of my downloads before I even had a chance to look at them.
    So blaming an Antivirus for removing known malware or infections, Then install something that misses all the problems.

geeee What could posbily go wrong. this is why theres so much malware about these days, people using computers that are infected.

If anyone thinks Linux is immune to malware they are sadly mistaken .

People who download programs that claim to update drivers are asking for trouble, they are 99% sure to be full of malware. No one to blame but themselves.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 08-06-2019 at 05:50 PM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

wainuitech, yep all my fault. I already had a driver finder app that scans and sees what it says are out of date but doesn't allow instal unless I buy it. The DriverMax is removed from my computer. But as I said, if I have a AV/Firewall running then Defender is meant to be turned off. I guess I just have to put up with it.
    cheers

mzee, hi. I downloaded Mint and tried it. I didn't last long with it the same as when I tied Ubuntu in about 2004. Had to get Media Players and use computer language, Debian I think, all like command line prompts of which I knew nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by kioti View Post
    .... But as I said, if I have a AV/Firewall running then Defender is meant to be turned off.
    Absolutely. So turn off defender manually .
    That tells me that the AV package you installed isnt very good. A good 3rd AV will turn off defender, a good 3rd party firewall with turn off Win Firewall.
    A bad 3rd party program will break Wins firewall so it cant be turned back on (I wont name that one, it was preinstalled on some brand name laptops)

Having a 3rd party AV running and Defender can make them both unable to cleanup malware, as one will try & scan/clean and infection, the other will see that infected file being accessed & block it from being cleaned/scanned.

Win's firewall should be good enough and actually cause less issues.

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    That tells me that the AV package you installed isnt very good. A good 3rd AV will turn off defender, a good 3rd party firewall with turn off Win Firewall.
    A bad 3rd party program will break Wins firewall so it cant be turned back on (I wont name that one, it was preinstalled on some brand name laptops)

Having a 3rd party AV running and Defender can make them both unable to cleanup malware, as one will try & scan/clean and infection, the other will see that infected file being accessed & block it from being cleaned/scanned.

1101, hi. Nothing wrong with Comodo Internet Security I use. Defender is turned off and my system is protected by Comodo AV and Firewall
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DEFENDER IS TURNED PFF.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	9716   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DEFENDER IS OFF.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	9717   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	COMIODO IS DOING ALL PROTECTION.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	9718   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	COMODO AV.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	9719  
    Last edited by kioti; 11-06-2019 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post

Aint that the truth.

Seen quit a few Third party AV's not turn off Defender.

Nothing wrong with Comodo Internet Security I use.
    Hmmmmm while no AV is perfect, they should stop at least some.
    Example = not a good result from Comodo
    Once I got it under control I used MalwareBytes to scan. Well, I now had 476 infections! PUP's, trojan droppers and all sorts of crap
    Last edited by wainuitech; 11-06-2019 at 09:55 AM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by kioti View Post
    1101, hi. Nothing wrong with Comodo Internet Security I use...
    The amount of times Ive heard that comment about some rubbish AV products
    Maybee it is fantastic, dont know, Ive never used it . Alot of personal bios in peoples choice of AV product.

AV reviews arnt worth much, but when the reviews show less than stellar detection/cleanup scores, you need to at least consider other products.

1101, I used Eset Nod 32 10 year ago and because it had locked up stuff I couldn't do system restore. Ok so WHAT AV you plugging?
    I must be reading different reviews to those that you are.
    Last edited by kioti; 11-06-2019 at 11:45 AM.