Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default laptop losing wifi connectivity

Hi all,
    My Mum has a laptop, about 8 years old, Toshiba, can't remember the model exactly but I will ask her next time.
    She's been complaining for a while that it would often temporarily lose it's wifi signal. I assumed this was due to maybe router issues, but the problem remains even since they get a new router. She's also just told me she was connected to her printer at home, which is also connected wirelessly, and halfway through a scan job she lost that connection, too. So it seems to be a laptop issue specifically.

It's on Windows 10. She does keep her windows updates updated and runs anti-virus.
    Any suggestions on where to start to troubleshoot / fix this? I'm thinking maybe it's a driver related issue but I am pretty sure in the past I already checked her drivers were updated. Is this something that could be a hardware problem?

She's open to getting a new laptop, but she has fairly simple needs and the current one does everything she needs it to apart from this problem.

Default Re: laptop losing wifi connectivity

Hi,
    What ISP and modem?

LL
    Last edited by lakewoodlady; 24-05-2019 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Ore info required
    _____Nothing is hidden that cannot be revealed______

Hi, thanks for quick reply.
    She is through Xnet/World Exchange. I don't recall what modem/router they have (I don't live with them) but this problem happened with their prior router also.
    As the wireless connection to their printer also disconnected, i don't believe it's a router or ISP problem, I think it's more likely something with the laptop itself.

If the wi fi is dropping off, she needs to contact XNet....

LL
    _____Nothing is hidden that cannot be revealed______

If its only the wireless dropping from the Router to the Laptop, could be a corrupted TCP/IP Stack in the laptop.

What you can do is rebuild it, from search type in "Network Reset" (without the ") click the button:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reset.png 
Views:	78 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	9627

This will wipe out all network connections, settings.

You'll get a message saying it will reboot in 5 minutes, or you can reboot yourself. Once it reboots it will rebuild /reinstall the adapters, TCP/IP Stack -- Then give it a few minutes to reload, reconnect to your wireless - see if it is more steady.

Old guy

Does she have any other device which can be connected via wifi apart from her laptop? If so does it have the same problem? That would give a good indication if the problem lies with the laptop or the router.

@LL but that does not explain why the connection from the laptop to the printer is also disconnecting, that uses wifi but not external internet...

@wainui - thanks, I will ask her to try that, worth a try

@Clive, only her mobile phone, she hasn't mentioned any problem with that, but I will also ask her. She rarely uses her mobile and mainly just for SMS, so even if that problem was there too, chances she never noticed it before. Dad has a PC but it's wired only (and he is still running Vista on it - yes really!)
    Last edited by Chikara; 24-05-2019 at 09:40 PM.

just a uninformed hunch, could the batteries be getting past it, especially if they are the original ones!

She has replaced the battery once during it's life, and mostly uses it on mains power now anyway

A friend has a similar problem with his Win10 laptop. His Ipad is fine but his laptop is disconnecting. I found this site that has some good suggestions https://www.webnots.com/fix-wifi-con...in-windows-10/

I was going to try the the device power management uncheck (solution 2) that fixed it for the poster, but haven't got back to friend yet.

Good luck to us both!!