Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default your data, controlled by you

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...re-usage-data/
    Another complete screw up from MS, in its never ending trawl for data collection

Ive been getting calls from clients, in a panic thinking they have a virus, unable to use their computer as MS spat a huuuge popup onto their screen,a popup that cant be closed.
    Restart & the popup comes back.

"your data, controlled by you"
    it looks very much like a malware popup, as it cant be closed and takes a significant amount of the screen.

Just why do MS think its OK to make PC's unusable with this crap.
    Some are even reporting they cant click accept to get rid out it .

Win10 telemetry data collection by MS. That was the first step & since so many just accepted Win10's "telemetry" data collection, that gave MS the green light to try & to start collecting more . The next step was when they added "telemetry" data collection to Win7 , as part of Windows Updates.
    This should have been 100% opt in, but now the door is open , the horse has bolted.

God damn MS.
    That popup is causing issues for MS's customers, MS dont care .

Linux & Open Office looking better and better as we get closer to Win7's end of life .
    Last edited by 1101; 16-05-2019 at 04:55 PM.

Default Re: your data, controlled by you

All popup offers should have the "F*ck off" option.

Ken

No problems with it at all. Had the pop up on one office computer, went in unticked everything, that's the last I seen of any pop ups on the total of 5 users its installed on.

Some people are just big cry babies, and the first to complain when something goes wrong. The worst are admins who think they are god and to damn lazy or stupid to figure things out.

What's funny is people complain about programs, make a lot of noise yet don't have the balls to actually do something about it -- All talk no action.

Bit like one of the tech guys at spark, Called him out early this year on their stuff up, told him to come and prove their settings worked, I can give you 20 people who will swear it wont, he came - mumbles something about thats not working as it should, asked him to change setting to a known working settings ( worked) , he was meant to fix the fault, 5 months later now spark dont want o know about it - Proven wrong
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by kenj View Post
    All popup offers should have the "F*ck off" option.

Ken
    LOL, yes. Or even better, not do it at all.
    haven't had an popups like that on my Libre...
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    LOL, yes. Or even better, not do it at all.
    Exactly.

Just the fact that Im getting calls from extremely frustrated users who cant get past this malware like popup shows it is a problem.
    Not everyone is tech savvy, it is a issue for some MS Office users . Sure, Techies can fix this easily, but thats not the point

Why have the damn MS popup behave like a virus popup.

The problem is often how its setup to start with. Meaning if its Office 365, the way its designed being a subscription you usually are signed in. When ever there's been any problems simply signing in mostly cures it.

As its been mentioned on the insider site about the message
    Just an update: my e-mail address was there. Anyway, I signed out, I have closed all office applications and, after that, I opened one of them. I followed the steps to activate Office again and it did solve the problem!

Just signing out and signing in again didn't solve. I had to close all apps after signing out.
    As for the pop up -- Its funny, the usual people who always click Yes to everything that pops up without reading -- all they have to do is click next a few times, select no (picture below) and problem solved.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Options_Office.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	9612

The same people who complain about these sorts of things are the ones who complain MS are "sneaking" things in without their knowledge, so they put in a pop up that needs attention and get in trouble for doing it.

Libre Office is not perfect by a LONG shot, Theres been quite a few times I used Libre on people computers that didn't want to buy MS Office ( dozens of people) , each and every one has called me back to come and remove it - to quote several ( polite version) " its Crap" Lately I been using a more user friendly Free Office, no complaints so far, only thing I change is the default save formats, because like Libre it doesn't save with docx etc by default. AND like everything else most users don't have a clue how to save in another format.

The updates have been out for a short while now, and gotten NO calls relating to this problem, maybe the people who service places or have customers need to do some preventive work to start with

We've got the shovels, we've got the gloves
    We've had the visions, we've got approval from above

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    T
    As for the pop up -- Its funny, the usual people who always click Yes to everything that pops up without reading -- all they have to do is click next a few times, select no (picture below) and problem solved.
    I suspect all they need to do is first click the "no " option and then they can click through . Trying to get them to do that is a painfull experience .

Again, the way MS designed this , as a malware like popup that can never be closed off & allways repears : thats the issue I have.

Says if this and if that & it wouldnt happen is relevant, it IS happening to alot of people using MS Office .

Says if this and if that & it wouldnt happen is relevant, it IS happening to alot of people using MS Office .
    Theres obviously some other reason if its always coming up. I deal with hundreds of customers whom have office 2019, and some will call for the slightest minor thing. So far had ZERO calls.

In fact I called this morning one Business that has around 20 odd staff to check, they will contact me at the slightest thing sometimes, asked if they had the popup on all their computers, was advised yes everyone in the office had, they clicked Next etc, clicked NO where asked and that was that - nothing more since.

Not saying its not happening, but there has to be something that some people are not doing to start with that may be causing a problem. As with most things like this you never get the full story.

Going back to the original Quote -- So change it to something else other than MS Office ( knowing very well it wont happen) .

I think the only case someone wouldn't be able to click through it is they are running a super low resolution and like 150% DPI so the buttons are off the bottom of the screen.

Seen this a bunch and have had no issues with it thus far - certainly not with it coming up more than once (once you choose the options you want).
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."