Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Heat Pumps - service?

Do you folks have your heat-pumps serviced yearly, before winter sets in?

What do the service man really do other than removing the air filter and rinse it off, and hose down the outdoor unit?

How much do they charge for such jobs?

Default Re: Heat Pumps - service?

I clean the filter myself, been at least 10 years so far and that's all I've done. Oh apart from clearing away weeds when they start to grow too close to the outdoor unit.
    I don't rinse it though, just blow the dust off.

I asked one of the guys who installed the new commercial unit in our office what else I should do and he said "nothing really"
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Internal Unit...
    Clean filter with detergent to clean out dust and stop possibility of Legionnaires, usually every 6 months with regular use.

External unit... (12 monthly)
    Clean away anything such as weeds etc that could impair airflow.
    Clean out fins on external unit as dirt and detritus on the fins drops efficiency. Best left really to someone with a bit of experience. Usually do mine with detergent and a paint brush. Gently spray rinse keeping away from electronic boxes. Leave for a few hours to air dry before switching back on.
    Ever stop to think, and forgot to start again?

never had one, never wanted one.
    Woodburner fan.

However my mum paid for her 2 yr service not long go.
    $89 to spray some stuff and clean it.

Next time we
    ll do it.
    Her power bill is already cranking up and she has it on hardly at all.
    hate them.
    Ex-pctek

Love my heat pump. Gets a good thrashing over summer coz I hate the heat, and quiet the rest of the year.

Servicing consists of looking at it to see if it looks like it wants to be touched, and then leave it alone. I find I break less things that way.

Putting a wet back log burner into our new house and a ducted (in the roof) heatpump for summer cooling. No it is Not a DVS or similar it is a true heatpump just in the roof space with 2 inlets and 4 outlets, one for each bedroom, one in the lounge and one between the kitchen dining area. It is the same price installed as two wall mounted heatpumps but does as I said four areas.

Looking at solar for future but not yet and not off grid but grid tied as don't like the battery issues.

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    ...........and a ducted (in the roof) heatpump for summer cooling. No it is Not a DVS or similar it is a true heatpump just in the roof space with 2 inlets and 4 outlets, one for each bedroom, one in the lounge and one between the kitchen dining area. It is the same price installed as two wall mounted heatpumps but does as I said four areas.
    thats something i think we should see more off. especially as you can tie the ventilation system into it as well.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Old dick-head

Yes, a heatpump in the roofspace with ducts to various rooms is great. I really recommend this arrangement to everyone (except Gary and twea'e who already have such systems)

The only advantage I see with woodburners would be if you can get free wood.

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    never had one, never wanted one.
    Woodburner fan.

Her power bill is already cranking up and she has it on hardly at all.
    hate them.
    Down to personal preference obviously, I almost installed a wood burner but went with A/C instead. In spring and Autumn I don't use it and my power bills are around $100. Winter basically doubles that so running the A/C for heating is costing me about $100 a month in my small(ish) house. Cooling seems to cost less. If I was buying wood the cost wouldn't be all that much different, and it's a lot of work and storage space and attracts those giant cockroaches that creep me out.

People get confused with A/C being the most efficient form of heating and take that to mean cheapest. It still uses just as much power as any other 2KW electric heater of course, just gives you 3 times as much heat output in Ideal conditions.
    I'm guessing most on this forum know that already. I've heard the story a few times now of elderly people putting in A/C, running it 24/7 for a month, then getting a power bill so high they never use it again. Far cheaper to just use it as needed and close off rooms that don't need heating.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by decibel View Post
    Yes, a heatpump in the roofspace with ducts to various rooms is great. I really recommend this arrangement to everyone (except Gary and twea'e who already have such systems)

The only advantage I see with woodburners would be if you can get free wood.
    strangely enough i don't have that system. to retro fit here would be difficult. its the sort of thing that really needs to be done when you build a house or do major reno.
    unfortunately most new homes do not have any ventilation or heating system design.
    there has been mentions of people installing heat pumps in hallways to heat all the bedrooms. i'm testing that at the moment using bedroom heatpump to heat the other rooms. it kinda works if you run it long enough, takes hours instead of minutes. its an ugly method. this is where central heating is so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Down to personal preference obviously, I almost installed a wood burner but went with A/C instead. In spring and Autumn I don't use it and my power bills are around $100. Winter basically doubles that so running the A/C for heating is costing me about $100 a month in my small(ish) house. Cooling seems to cost less. If I was buying wood the cost wouldn't be all that much different, and it's a lot of work and storage space and attracts those giant cockroaches that creep me out.

People get confused with A/C being the most efficient form of heating and take that to mean cheapest. It still uses just as much power as any other 2KW electric heater of course, just gives you 3 times as much heat output in Ideal conditions.
    I'm guessing most on this forum know that already. I've heard the story a few times now of elderly people putting in A/C, running it 24/7 for a month, then getting a power bill so high they never use it again. Far cheaper to just use it as needed and close off rooms that don't need heating.
    i always recommend wood burner if your in snow country. in northland if the power goes out your not going to freeze to death.

a lot of it is down to how you heat your home. but i think many people are just so used to not using power, that any increase is a big deal.
    heat pumps heat up the house, so you have to have a house thats good enough to be able to use it. otherwise your better off using a small heater and just heating you.
    Tweak it till it breaks