Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Genealogy

Default Re: Genealogy

I found several instances where the spelling of the surname was phonetic. The Bride and/or Groom were illiterate and didn't necessarily know how to spell their surnames. That left the registrar writing it as it sounded.

I would look at census records around that time for the birthplace and where the marriage certificate was issued and see if you can spot other similar looking surnames.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    You may also be right in your guess of Irish blood, as her Married Surname was Scanlan.
    The surname is Scanlon. I have found electoral rolls entries for Bartholomew and Ellen Scanlon for 1900 (Bay of Islands) and 1905-06 (Kaipara). I cannot see any surname beginning with Can that looks similar to the certificate.

I think it is McConaghey or McConaughy. I can find an Ellen McConaghey (1851-1889) who married a Bartholomew Scanlon in Auckland 1871.

Edit: was that marriage certificate for a Mary Jane?
    Last edited by Jen; 02-05-2019 at 11:14 PM.

Well things have been happening overnight.

To start with Lurking, I am at a complete loss to explain how the number on the Marriage Certificate relates to the people you mentioned.

Moving onto Jen who Nailed It!

Yes the Marriage Certificate is that of Mary Jane Scanlon to Charles Pascoe Trounson and the name we were trying to decipherer was “McConaghey”.

And just in passing in case anybody is interested, the James Trounson mentioned on the certificate was the chap who gave the Trounson Kauri Park to the “People of New Zealand”.

Thanks Jen, well done.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I can find an Ellen McConaghey (1851-1889) ...
    Looking at those dates now, I can see the death year (at least) is wrong as evident from the electoral roles showing her alive in 1905-06. Those dates were listed in a member's family tree on Ancestry.com. You have to be careful of dates or information where the accuracy cannot be confirmed by several different ways. I've seen information related to my ancestors where another member's tree showed the female having children when they were 6 and 70 years old.

Having a paid subscription to Ancestry.com.au will give you access to lots of information. You can try a free trial for a month. I've also done the DNA test (along with my Mother and her sister) which is fascinating, and connects you up with a lot of relatives. We are trying to identify my Mother's Grandfather who was supposed to be Norwegian. The DNA from all three of us shows little evidence of that ethnicity.

Good luck with your researching.
    Last edited by Jen; 03-05-2019 at 08:52 AM.

pcsourcepoint

I saw the Mary Jane name under BDM births database. If you do sign up for a trial, remember to cancel it if no longer needed, if credit/debit card details are required. I forgot and was billed $ 175 from My Heritage Com though got refunded.

But I found different birth dates for my Great Grand Father. Also found out he had two wives, and a bunch of kids. Also found married names of Great Grand Aunties, and their kids names. Then cross referenced those names to BDM to confirm. Too many "name-sakes" can confuses searches a little. In NZ heaps of William, John, (perhaps Ellen, Mary, as well) that transcend from GF/GM down to Grand Sons.

Also try Archway Archives NZ and Online Cenotaph (War Memorial) for further research. The Cenotaph name database can be quite detailed, listing burial location, home town, siblings, parents etc.
    Last edited by kahawai chaser; 03-05-2019 at 09:27 AM.
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

genealogy is easy if US, UK, Aus or NZ.
    try obscure european countries though and you can never find anything.

My ancestors from Flanders for instance, or my mums family from Hungary. Diesn't help that her family name was the equivalent of Smith too.
    Ex-pctek

pcsourcepoint

But I think be prepared what you find. Eerily I traced 3 2nd cousins (on Google Images) that are strikingly similar in appearance to 3 of my siblings.two of them have the same middle names. I worked with a Irish girl, who discovered her ancestors, where not what she wanted to know. She stopped further searches.

I also worked for a bloke (white-Euro) who was adopted, who got a fright to discover his mother was a Tongan. My neighbor told me they had to commit his Uncle to Kingseat psychiatric hospital, after his turned on them, after discovering inappropriate family relations centuries ago.
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Looking at those dates now, I can see the death year (at least) is wrong as evident from the electoral roles showing her alive in 1905-06. Those dates were listed in a member's family tree on Ancestry.com. You have to be careful of dates or information where the accuracy cannot be confirmed by several different ways. I've seen information related to my ancestors where another member's tree showed the female having children when they were 6 and 70 years old.
    I see what you mean.

I started this years ago and gave up in disgust, but whilst hunting through my notes I found a reference number that I loaded into NZG BD&M.

Here's what I got, more Confusion.

Note on this document the Surname is Scanlan, not Scanlon and the baby's name Mary Julia not Mary Jane. Life is not easy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mary Jane Scanlan.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	9589

But, how about this.

Years ago my Mother used to give me Bonus Bonds for my birthday and Christmas. Anyway, I found an envelope with a number in and thought I'd better check if they had won anything as my address would be miles out of date.

So off I go to the ANZ Bank with envelope in hand and ask if any had won anything. The teller asked me my name and date of birth, smiled and said "you did have a good win didn't you. Well no, I replied, what have I won? Well it's been paid out came the reply, give me a look at those Bonds.

Well, you won't believe this, but there is another person with exactly the same name and birth date and the winning bond was his.

Naturally I asked for his contact details so I could say gidday but was refused on Privacy grounds.

And here was me thinking genealogy was an exact science.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Quote Originally Posted by kahawai chaser View Post
    But I think be prepared what you find. .
    If you could trace back far enough, you'd find some dodgy character.
    bandit, slaver, murderer, whatever. History shows it.
    Ex-pctek