Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default May is New Zealand Music Month

It seems incredible that there needs to be a New Zealand Music Month when they play New Zealand Music on the radio. Why can't they play New Zealand Music all the time?
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Older by the minute

Default Re: May is New Zealand Music Month

Because it and the artists are rubbish?

NZ music recently has just been so much rubbish. We needs more bands like Head Like a Hole, Elemeno P, The Exponents, Zed, Stellar, Shihad (before Toogood went all weird and political) & Black River Drive, and artists like Bic Runga & Dave Dobbyn, not the cookie cutter pop junk that passes for music now. Certainly nothing to celebrate for a month.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    Why can't they play New Zealand Music all the time?
    Many stations do . If theres a local band with a popular song , it will get played .
    Alot of NZ music isnt popular radio friendly though .

Its not like the bad old days when even Crowded House couldn't get NZ airtime untill they had a hit record in Aus.

Quote Originally Posted by wratterus View Post
    NZ music recently has just been so much rubbish. We needs more bands like Head Like a Hole, Elemeno P, The Exponents, Zed, Stellar, Shihad (before Toogood went all weird and political) & Black River Drive, and artists like Bic Runga & Dave Dobbyn, not the cookie cutter pop junk that passes for music now. Certainly nothing to celebrate for a month.
    Well said that man. Covers it nicely.

Because not everyone is a fan of NZ music and listeners will get tired of listening to the same line up of music every day.

Bleakly Optomistic

Quote Originally Posted by wratterus View Post
    With the lighter stuff, there's quite a bit of folky/acoustic stuff out there. Same with extreme Metal, but yeah, it's not overly radio friendly. I'm still discovering bands that have already broken up but digging their stuff. Got some Eb & Sparrow playing right now, which your comment of Bic Runga reminded me of. Also, Elemono P are thinking of reuniting.

Also digging the lasted Hiboux release (kinda shoegaze acoustic rock) and waiting to meet up with the drummer from Into Orbit (heavier acoustic rock/metal) to pick up their new album
    Last edited by the_bogan; 03-05-2019 at 08:23 AM.

pcsourcepoint

Don't many NZ artists move or tour abroad? hardly ever known or forgotten in NZ but recognized in Euro countries.NZ broadcast Radio is not really the medium for music anymore. Instead Apps like Spotify, or Internet Radio to discover music. Or music venues - like if some recall Main Street (late 70's early 80's) in Auckland City.
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

Bleakly Optomistic

If you're on facebook, there is the Wellington Music at WCL page which shares a lot of new NZ music of all sorts.

Bleakly Optomistic

Now that I've thought about it. Finding it hard to find any current what I call soft rock NZ bands. Think of Dead Flowers, HLAH, Shihad. They don't need to be successful. Just rocky without being slow and mournful like most NZ popular acts are trending.

Now playing Dead Flowers - Plastic.