Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Online Storage for my photos - options?

One drive can be used for storage, it doesn't have to be synced to any PC. (One of my one Drives is like that)

The free version is limited to 5GB, but if you have office 365 its then 1TB and can expand even more to unlimited OR get unlimited on its own.

What you have to look at is are you just wanting Someplace to backup Photos or create Albums, etc. ?

Having your photos on multi devices, ( backups like now) and online is a good idea, that way if one disappears for some reason there's a backup to the backup.

I have been using iCloud Photo's for years, safe and reliable.. Its a small cost but if something was to happen, the photo's remain in the cloud

Birkenhead, North Shore, AK (amongst the bush)

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    What you have to look at is are you just wanting Someplace to backup Photos or create Albums, etc. ?
    Thanks wainui and allblack, I will have a look at One Drive next. I did get all keen on BackBlaze and started their free trial earlier today. However am going to discontinue because although my Upload speed tends to be about 8.7 Mgs a second, it was only transferring at speeds between 0.47 and 2.16 Mgs a second. It reckoned that I would transfer only 1.35 Gigs a day!

Also, it would not let me exclude my C Drive. I only want to back up my Photos on the G Drive!
    Last edited by Misty; 20-05-2019 at 03:57 PM.
    Affinity Photo 1.8.5 (marvellous)
    Lightroom 6
    Nik Collection
    AZZ Cardfile
    Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.60GHz 32 C
    Coffee Lake 14nm Technology

Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    I want to get online storage for my photos for safety (1 Tb).
    1Tb is a lot of data to upload . If you only have ADSL its not going to be practical
    I would look for other options , copy to HD & store that HD somewhere offsite

Old guy

Back in the olden days before online storage was practical my backup system was:

1. Backup to another HD on the PC daily
    2. Backup to a CD kept in a cupboard in another room weekly
    3. Backup to a portable drive that was kept in the boot of my car weekly or when a major change was done.

I figured that if my PC was stolen, the house burned down and my car was destroyed all on the same day I would really have to be out of luck.

Wanderer

You generally have to pay for 1TB. Backblaze, Crashplan, Carbonite are ones people into. Flickr is now restricted to 1,000 images or unlimited for paying members but I am not sure how they manage the file sizes.

What I do is I have an extra internal HDD which I sync daily and I have 2 hard drives in my drawer here and 1 in a safe deposit box, could also be at work etc ...

I am also a NIkon user, a D600. However for travelling and with non photographers I now have a used pocket Ricoh GR the first version with the APS-C sensor so several years old and a used Fuji X-T1 it's just so much smaller.

One can also send (mail) them a USB / HDD and they will do the upload.
    https://www.backblaze.com/restore.html
    Last edited by Nomad; 22-05-2019 at 12:26 PM.

Birkenhead, North Shore, AK (amongst the bush)

I am now thinking of getting one or two fireproof bags to hold my external hard drives. Doing a quick search of the internet I see one vendor
    claims

"The max amount of heat this item can comfortably last in is 1,1000 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes, due to the silicone coated fiber
    glass chassis. This item can also handle water just as well as fire, boasting almost complete water resistance"

What do you think please? Any experience of this?
    Affinity Photo 1.8.5 (marvellous)
    Lightroom 6
    Nik Collection
    AZZ Cardfile
    Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.60GHz 32 C
    Coffee Lake 14nm Technology

Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    I am now thinking of getting one or two fireproof bags to hold my external hard drives. Doing a quick search of the internet I see one vendor
    claims

"The max amount of heat this item can comfortably last in is 1,1000 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes, due to the silicone coated fiber
    glass chassis. This item can also handle water just as well as fire, boasting almost complete water resistance"

What do you think please? Any experience of this?
    Any experience of what ?. please link to the products

Generally, if it sounds to good to be true.......
    Theres a reason companies spend thousands on Fireproof Document Safes, rather than just a baggie
    Some Ive seen seal using Velocro. Velcro is hardly fire resistant
    Also, it needs to be rated for hours, not just the 1/2 hour rating most seem to have.

https://www.amazon.com/Solo-Fireproo.../dp/B007YJX77S

I have a client with one of these , I had to open it up when its HD failed :-)
    Its built really well , and plenty of tests on youtube where they test similar products in fires .

Misty, I have been using MediaFire for past 5 years. I can't remember what it allows you Storage for the Free version but you get MediaFire and use it then when it notifies you have no free storage I upgraded to the Pro option, cost is $5 USA for 1TB Data Storage. I use it to store movies/music/programs/ Docs, all sorts. I don't have fast Fibre internet, my ISP doesn't do it so I am ADSL. I get 13.16Mbps download and 0.81 Upload speed (theoretically) but I never seen anything coming in at that speed and because I am in New Zealand and uploads to MediaFire storage in Texas USA can be a bit lengthy when I upload a 5GB RAR file or .ISO… I found that it uploads 1GB per hour...or 2 hours, I not uploaded anything for a good while. You might like MediaFire. I have it set up to auto take the $5.00US from my bank (about $7.60NZ) monthly.
    https://www.bing.com/search?q=mediaf...7eeccfb9350e86