Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Birkenhead, North Shore, AK (amongst the bush)

Default Cannot Ctrl + Click to open a webpage from Word - Administrator only!

This issue has bugged me for at least a couple of years, but like some, I do a workaround - but no more! (I hope).

I have a word document with the https link in blue. I do a Ctrl+click on the link. However get this message

"This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions on this computer. Please contact the Administrator"

Now, I am the Administrator, but don't know what to do next to solve this conundrum? Please HELP!
    Affinity Photo 1.6 (marvellous)
    Lightroom 6
    Nik Collection
    Adobe Photoshop Elements 11.0 (Rarely used these days)
    Elements+
    AZZ Cardfile

Default Re: Cannot Ctrl + Click to open a webpage from Word - Administrator only!

Words isnt running as admin.
    Right click the word shortcut- run as administrator . That will be different depending on if its WIn7 or WIn10.

Or, change the security settings in Word itself (google how to)

Default Re: Cannot Ctrl + Click to open a webpage from Word - Administrator only!

Thanks 1101 -
    However I do not have a Word (2007) shortcut on my desktop, I rely on a Word icon in the task bar, which doesn't give Properties when right clicking. I use Windows 10.

I did manage to get this panel, which shows me (Jim) as having "Full Control". If only that were true!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Press F1 - Full Control panel.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	9541

Have been Googling - but no joy yet.
    Lightroom 6
    Nik Collection
    Elements+
    AZZ Cardfile

Can you post a screen shot of the actual error. often people while trying to describe faults / errors while trying to be helpful actually don't describe it correctly.

Sometimes the links wont open because IE is not your default browser, nothing to do with admin rights

BTW-- Even if your account says its Administrator, its NOT the full administrator, look at it like half way between a standard user and Full Administrator
    Last edited by wainuitech; 09-04-2019 at 02:48 PM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Ive seen weird issues with Office 2010 that were only solved by making a shortcut & having that run as admin.
    ie , particular Excel & Outlook issues fixed by running those programs as admin .

I dont have 10 in front of me , so from memory
    In the Win10 programs menu , there will be Word in there. Right click , more (or something like that) , run as admin.
    It may not be your fix, but its one of the first things to try

File/folder Permissions is a totally separate thing (your screen shoot)

Here is the error message, Wainuitech

Name:	Error Message for PressF1.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	9548

As a browser I use Edge - so that presumably that wouldn't be a problem as it took over from IE.
    Lightroom 6
    Nik Collection
    Elements+
    AZZ Cardfile

pcsourcepoint

Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    Here is the error message, Wainuitech

Name:	Error Message for PressF1.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	9548

As a browser I use Edge - so that presumably that wouldn't be a problem as it took over from IE.
    Might depend if you set Edge as the default browser, if any previous default browsers were disabled or removed, and Edge was set as default before removal(s). Try reactivating/re-installing previous browsers to test hyper-link clicking via word.
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    In the Win10 programs menu , there will be Word in there. Right click , more (or something like that) , run as admin.
    Thanks 1101 - I have just tried that and was hopeful, but unfortunately it did not fix the problem.
    Lightroom 6
    Nik Collection
    Elements+
    AZZ Cardfile

Quote Originally Posted by kahawai chaser View Post
    Might depend if you set Edge as the default browser, if any previous default browsers were disabled or removed, and Edge was set as default before removal(s). Try reactivating/re-installing previous browsers to test hyper-link clicking via word.
    Yes, Edge it set as the default browser, kahawai chaser. I used Firefox for many years before, more than ten anyway. So, I have uninstalled and re-installed Firefox, also then restarted the machine, but no joy.
    Next I uninstalled Chrome and left it off. Have not re-started the machine after that, but seems highly unlikely to make a difference.
    Many thanks for the suggestion, anyway!
    Lightroom 6
    Nik Collection
    Elements+
    AZZ Cardfile

Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    Yes, Edge it set as the default browser, kahawai chaser. I used Firefox for many years before, more than ten anyway. So, I have uninstalled and re-installed Firefox, also then restarted the machine, but no joy.
    Next I uninstalled Chrome and left it off. Have not re-started the machine after that, but seems highly unlikely to make a difference.
    Many thanks for the suggestion, anyway!
    Chrome CAN cause all sorts of problems, you should restart the computer simply removing it doesn't get it uninstalled till after a reboot (Lots of programs are like that).
    Have a read of the following article, third party Browsers (chrome - Firefox) can play hell with hyperlinks.

https://www.slipstick.com/problems/t...-restrictions/

the article is about Outlook, but word is part and parcel /linked as well.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.