Default Googles Stadia gaming

Thoughts?

I like the idea that it doesn't matter what hardware (or software) you run.
    Windows, mac, Linux, Android....
    Or the endless hardware upgrade that would become obsolete.

But internet speed will be a big factor.

And ownership. Steam is bad enough, some people like mods, some people like to tweak the game code themselves.
    Ex-pctek

Default Re: Googles Stadia gaming

It looks good for casual gamers and if it works well will probably spell a death kneel for the console market.. why drop $400-500 on a console and $80-90 on a AAA game when you're just playing casually and you can rent it from Google instead?

Personally I don't think I'll jump for it though. I've spent too much time falling in love with playing at 240hz that when I try a console game it just feels laggy and ick, and I've spent years amassing the massive Steam library that I have today.

If anyone is going to be able to pull it off, it's Google though. With the way fiber is rolling out in NZ and in major cities in the US I won't be surprised to see it in a lot of households soon after launch.

I was trying to remember who and failed, but I'm sure there are others working on the same Idea. Might even have been sony.
    I will always prefer local gaming, I don't want to have to rely on my internet working to be able to play a game. It's bad enough that some games already require an always on internet connection to play locally.

But it does have potential and I can see a market for it. My gaming PC is a large money pit
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

If for nothing else I would love it so I can play those games I'm 50/50 on.

Don't really want to pay the $20-$80 on steam for a game that looks good but not convinced I want to spend that much on, and then having to wait for it to download and install...

Also not having to muck around with constantly downloading updates would be nice - nothing more annoying than finally having a quiet couple of hours to oneself, you load up that game you haven't played in 6 weeks and there is a 50gb patch that needs downloading, guess I won't be playing that game afterall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
    Thats a good idea,and everybody should be whipped if they disagree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
    We like to live on the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Bozo View Post
    Don't really want to pay the $20-$80 on steam for a game that looks good but not convinced I want to spend that much on, and then having to wait for it to download and install...
    I hear that. There are a lot of games in my steam library with an hour or less play time on them, because I didn't like them after paying the money.
    A lot of them were cheap games on sale though, so not too painful on the wallet.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

pcsourcepoint

I think Microsoft and possibly Amazon will do similar, basically streaming content, like Spottily, Netflix, Hulu etc. Could not any updates/patches be scheduled? But could lead to distribution rights issues of the actual games, where some popular games may not be readily available on Stadia or other venues/platforms.
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

Bleakly Optomistic

Yeah, the need for no latency will rule NZ out of this for a bit. I love the idea.

Stuff in the cloud is strictly for the birds that don't care to look before they leap -
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.