Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spark HG659b Modem Wi-Fi issues

I recently moved and brought new TV's among other things and set them up with chromecast.
    Since I mostly watch Netflix and Youtube I saw no need for anything else and if I want something else I have a full laptop hooked up to my bedroom TV.

My issue is my phone is lucky to get 2 Wi-Fi bars in my lounge.
    The house is a fairly standard modern 4 bedroom place and the office (with the Modem/Router) is set up in the last bedroom, so about as far away from the lounge as you can get in this place however its still only about 15m at the most yet the signal is really struggling.
    I should also note that any device in the same room or my bedroom next door has 5 bars and the wired signal is strong and fast so I have no complaints there.
    I have the Unplan Fibre Max Download to 900Mbps and Upload to 400Mbps so overall speed has not been an issue for me, just the Wi-Fi.

This is causing issues with the quality of the Netflix casting which I can't tolerate.

I need a recommendation for a new Modem/Router and I am willing to use a system based unit that has satellite units to boost the signal as needed. Really dont want to pay more than $400 - $500 thou.

Suggestions please
    The Internet moves in mysterious ways.

VoidMaster

Default Re: Spark HG659b Modem Wi-Fi issues

Have you got both the 2.4GigHz and the 5GigHz able to connect on your cell phone, the 5 is for close range and the 2.4 for further away.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    Have you got both the 2.4GigHz and the 5GigHz able to connect on your cell phone, the 5 is for close range and the 2.4 for further away.
    Yes I do have both but I never thought I needed to switch from the 5Ghz which I thought was better.

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by DeSade View Post
    Yes I do have both but I never thought I needed to switch from the 5Ghz which I thought was better.
    2,4 will work better as zqwerty said.

The house is 4 bedroom place and the office (with the Modem/Router) is set up in the last bedroom, so about as far away from the lounge as you can get
    That's how this place was.
    I got my brother to move modem to middle room and make it the office.
    Much improved the signal...he has PC in end room and laptops and tablets in lounge (far apart)
    Ex-pctek

We had similar in our lounge. What a lot of people seem to forget is while wireless is easier to install, it also has a lot of down points. Doesn't take much to upset a signal strength, most forget they have walls in the way, insulation etc, all killing the strength, then theres the devices them selves, some will work better than others.

I ended up changing our old Wireless Access point (EOP device) which was requiring a power point in the lounge and installed a Ceiling Mount Access Point, ran the single Ethernet cable to the router which is at the other side of the house (wireless doesn't even register in the lounge from the router) plugged in the PoE adapter at the router, now have 100% signal strength in the lounge. You don't even notice the access point on the ceiling unless I point it out, if I really wanted to make it forgettable Id turn off the LED in the options.

This is the one I use TP Link EAP225

Edited: in the video on that page they use wingnuts / Bolts to secure the mount to the Ceiling, its not heavy, so just screwed the mount directly to the Ceiling with screws, its not going anywhere
    Last edited by wainuitech; 23-03-2019 at 09:28 AM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    We had similar in our lounge. What a lot of people seem to forget is while wireless is easier to install, it also has a lot of down points. Doesn't take much to upset a signal strength, most forget they have walls in the way, insulation etc, all killing the strength, then theres the devices them selves, some will work better than others.

I ended up changing our old Wireless Access point (EOP device) which was requiring a power point in the lounge and installed a Ceiling Mount Access Point, ran the single Ethernet cable to the router which is at the other side of the house (wireless doesn't even register in the lounge from the router) plugged in the PoE adapter at the router, now have 100% signal strength in the lounge. You don't even notice the access point on the ceiling unless I point it out, if I really wanted to make it forgettable Id turn off the LED in the options.

This is the one I use TP Link EAP225

Edited: in the video on that page they use wingnuts / Bolts to secure the mount to the Ceiling, its not heavy, so just screwed the mount directly to the Ceiling with screws, its not going anywhere
    I rent
    I would have to leave it there if I installed it.

Also I have no clue how I would run cable.
    Your idea would be ideal but it would cost me a fortune to do that, I think I need some sort of wireless solution.
    I am happy to replace the modem or just get something that will boost the wireless signal

I also can't move my office for a number of reasons.

Still after recommendations, changing to 2.4 did very little.

I rent
    I would have to leave it there if I installed it.

Also I have no clue how I would run cable.
    Your idea would be ideal but it would cost me a fortune to do that, I think I need some sort of wireless solution.
    I am happy to replace the modem or just get something that will boost the wireless signal

I also can't move my office for a number of reasons.

Still after recommendations, changing to 2.4 did very little.
    Yeah, OK the landlord may not like punching holes in places What should work, No wiring required, is a EOP device ( what I used to have) completely portable as well. Simply plug into a Wall socket near the router, then in the lounge where you want the Wireless plug the wireless adaper into a power socket. The Adapter can be moved to any room in the house with a Power socket.

This -- https://www.tp-link.com/au/products/...PA4220KIT.html

Have a look at the video on the page shows how it works.

There are more expensive ones with Passthrough as well. https://www.tp-link.com/au/products/...8630P-KIT.html

These work most of the time, on the odd occasion due to some type of house wiring they dont. BUT as long as all the wiring runs through the same fuse box it should.

Had one of my clients saying his daughter was complaining the WI-fi in the sleep out, out back couldn't get the wireless, they had got a new Router which NOW internet had supplied and it reached the original room where a EOP was, so I simply unplugged the EOP, went out to the sleep out down the back of the Section, father opened the door, plugged in the EOP, gave it a few seconds - bingo 100 % internet. The Sleepout got power from the main Board this is why it worked OK.

The Router NOW supplied is very nice, good range, Doesn't even look like a router, BUT The Price of the MESH kit with extenders ( if not supplied) One thing the Father likes is using his phone he can set times speed restrictions, he has it set to disable the internet on certain devices ( guess whose) at 10PM, and enable again at 6AM

Non Mesh - Just router https://shop.nownz.co.nz/products/am...hd-mesh-router

With additional Points:
    https://shop.nownz.co.nz/products/amplifi-hd-mesh-router-kit
    Last edited by wainuitech; 23-03-2019 at 10:16 AM.

I did buy one of those things a couple houses back but didn't use it cause it required you to switch to it and that got annoying.
    Do the ones you listed require you to switch or should the device just use the "best" one?

They are meant to Clone the Original Signal, or you can set it up so its different. Here the 3 wireless points are all named different (on purpose)

Depending on the device as well, will depend on if they jump to the strongest. One other of my customers, the kids phone jumps to which ever is strongest, yet the parents their phones don't.

Most wireless extenders have the option to clone an original SSID details so it forms a "Mesh".