Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Default Re: Changes to the Firearms Act

Quote Originally Posted by baabits View Post
    What makes you think that police here are trigger happy?Please don't take the 0.5% of cops who are idiots and apply it to the 99.5% who do a great job.
    if only our prime minister did the same before changing gun laws
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Ok, I will.
    It leads to them being trigger happy too. Look at the US
    They HAVE guns, they don't need to assign one to every beat cop on the street.
    the problem is not so much arming the police but being able to train police.
    the police simply do not have the budget. especially now that they are going to spend $100m+ (more like double that) on a gun buy back scheme instead of on the police force.

trouble with usa is you only get to hear about the bad police, very little is mentioned about the good use.
    there is a few video's of very good use byt very well trained officers in really bad situations.
    plus the other factor with usa is cops tend to be up against a lot of people with concealed handguns. that tends to make anyone a bit trigger happy. it takes a huge amount of training to over come that natural reaction.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Jim Jefferies on gun control ... the right to bear arms. Settle down. This is a family forum, he's talking about bear, not bare arms

Originally posted by CYaBro, I thought it deserved a bump ...

Click HERE

Here's a good line "You can't change the 2nd Amendment". "Yes you can, it's called an amendment"

Last edited by WalOne; 23-03-2019 at 03:11 PM.
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

for you a-cat ar15 buffs
    https://youtu.be/FlNC13722I8
    https://crossarmory.com/shop/cross-armory-ar-fixed-mag/

simply fix the mag into place and it then no longer has to be handed in.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Quote:

https://crossarmory.com/shop/cross-armory-ar-fixed-mag/

simply fix the mag into place and it then no longer has to be handed in.

You are joking of course!!. One only needs to un-fix that solution.

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

[QUOTE=tweak'e;1287402]for you a-cat ar15 buffs
    https://youtu.be/FlNC13722I8

I'm not now or ever again getting into this fray and I've honestly tried to stay out of this debate. With an exception, so far: so good.

But I can still look on and read what's being posted --- which I have been doing, just a bit.

I'm certainly not going to light any fires again..... but here in the US --- we only get fractions of news concerning what's going on in Upsidedown Land.

I present a C/P from what is SUPPOSEDLY from one of your news-sources that has been re-transmitted via BuzzFeed.com ---> for your comments and for my edification.

Personally I think this report is BS 'cause I'm pretty sure that youse guys would not like to be turned into instant law defying subjects. But this is the stuff we hear........

After Multiple Reports About New Zealanders Turning In Guns, Guess How Many Actually Did It?

Following reports that a flood of New Zealand gun owners have been voluntarily surrending (sic) their firearms in the wake of last Friday's Christchurch mosque attack that left 50 dead, the numbers are in on how many Kiwis actually handed over their weapons.

ARTICLE FOLLOWS.
    Out of an estimated 1.2 million registered guns, New Zealand police report that as of Tuesday night, 37 firearms have been surrendered nationwide, according to BuzzFeed.

No accounting was provided of how many people owned those guns, the types of firearms, or where they were surrendered.

The reports of citizens disarming themselves came after a Monday announcement by Prime minister Jacinda Ardern that several "in principle decisions" on gun control have been made by Cabinet ministers, while praising residents who have surrendered their guns to police.

So far, we know of four people who have; Green Party member John Hart and longtime gun owner "@SirWB" - who each turned in a rifle, a grandmother who goes by the Twitter handle "@FeyHag" who said she requested for her family's guns to be handed in for destruction, and former New Zealand Army soldier Pete Breidahl - who said he warned local police of extremists at a local rifle club where he said he suspected the shooter was a member.

"All I want is to go back to my horses, say goodbye to firearms and the bullshit shooting community and its drama and let the police and government sort this one out," wrote Breidahl in a Facebook post. "I don’t NEED, want or care about guns. I can happily live my life without them."

Most reports cited three tweets, including that of John Hart, a farmer and Green Party member from Wairarapa, who told BuzzFeed News he surrendered his semiautomatic rifle two days after the attack.

He tweeted a photo of the form he signed to hand over his rifle to the police to be destroyed, saying, "We don't need these in our country. We have to make sure it's #NeverAgain." -BuzzFeed

Ardern asked residents to surrender their weapons on Monday.

"To make our community safer, the time to act is now," she said. "I want to remind people, you can surrender your gun to the police at any time. In fact I have seen reports that people are in fact already doing this. I applaud that effort, and if you are thinking about surrendering your weapon, I would encourage you to do so."

LINK HERE

Now, please --- youse guys tell me what's up........... OK?..... and I'll send it to a decently pivotal site I frequent here in the US.......

Warum werden wir so früh alt und klug so spät?

Quote Originally Posted by WalOne View Post
    My favourite contributor to the Whaleoil blog, Debbie (a self confessed boring accountant) has this to say:

File this under "one step forward, two back". Think knee jerk, ill thought out action by our annointed leaders.
    Using Whaleoil as support indicates your foundations must be really shaky
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.

guns have not been handed in because there is no real requirement yet to do so.
    you only have to register that you own one.
    its a little bit early to make any call on that.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Quote Originally Posted by Lurking View Post

You are joking of course!!. One only needs to un-fix that solution.
    well there is the debate. at what length do you go to.
    if its good enough for California why not for us?

any gun you can unfix or modify to put big magazines on.
    you can convert bolt action to semi-auto (nz military adopted one for a short time).
    you can make home made guns if you want.

so what lengths is it worth going to?

if you put the fixed mag in, put a bit of glue around it, then you would need to destroy the gun to get it out to fit a big mag in.

to be honest their best move is to actually get rid of the high capacity mags. why? because its really hard to make good working ones. even aftermarket ones can be absolutely rubbish.
    they are critical to the semi-auto function. so they have to be very well made.
    some older guns used to come with big mags and when those mags come up for sale, they are worth more than the gun itself. people will pay that sort of money rather than make one.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Quote Originally Posted by SurferJoe46 View Post

Now, please --- youse guys tell me what's up........... OK?..... and I'll send it to a decently pivotal site I frequent here in the US.......

"3 Certain semi-automatic firearms declared to be military style semi-automatic firearms
    For the purposes of the Arms Act 1983, the following firearms are declared to be military style semi-automatic firearms:
    (a)
    a semi-automatic firearm that is capable of being used in combination with a detachable magazine (other than one designed to hold 0.22-inch or less rimfire cartridges) that is capable of holding more than 5 cartridges:
    (b)
    a semi-automatic firearm that is a shotgun and that is capable of being used in combination with a detachable magazine that is capable of holding more than 5 cartridges."

thats the new rules they have put in place until actual law is drafted.
    all mssa's are targeted for a buy back.
    Tweak it till it breaks