Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Default Re: Changes to the Firearms Act

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Good Job
    Most kiwis dont care if guns owners get clamped down on.

The type of person who feels the need to own these sort of weapons, just for the sake of having them, isnt the sort of person I want to have them.
    ?
    Damn right. Mostly the type who feel they need to own pitbulls too.
    The small p*** crowd.

I know one person with a collection, guess he'll sell them faster now.

All the farmers I met had 22s and shotguns.
    No-one needs to hunt or shoot animals with machine guns.

Good on us for changing the laws, too many mad weapon people around already in the world.
    Armies should do it too, lets see war with swords and spears again, instead of the steady progression of mass killing everyone in several miles radius, up to wipe out the planet in one go.

That's all weapons are for really. Despite ridiculous arguments to the contrary.
    Ex-pctek

Good to see the government find it unacceptable to kill 50 people, but still finds it acceptable to kill half as many with the ones not being banned

The licensing of Firearms in NZ has always been a Dogs Breakfast and long overdue for a shake-up.

I think it was 1983 when a revision of the Arms Act declared that a firearm was no longer required to be licensed, but the user was. This left the Police in a position where if they found a body with a firearm lying beside it they had no way of tracing the firearm to anyone. How bloody clever was that? So letís hope they get it right this time.

Australia recognised the problem with Automatic weapons and acted back in 1997 so weíre a bit behind the times.

There is no place in civilised society for Automatic/Semi Automatic weapons so I guess there banning is a step in the right direction. But Iím picking there will need to be a few amendments along the way like stopping them, and parts for them, at the boarder and making the penalties for being caught with one mandatory. Say minimum 5 years Jail no argument.

I am still waiting to see one compelling argument as to why a Civilian would require a Automatic/Semi-Automatic weapon anyway.

As for the buy-back, fair enough, but have a time period say 3 months to hand them in otherwise they will be worthless.

It is all very well arguing that laws donít stop criminals. Equally, Locks only keep out honest people. They are only an inconvenience for the Crims but why not inconvenience them anyway? Most of us do.
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

As an avid fan of all firearms and a long time hunter of many different animals (both for pest control and sport/meat) I have an opinion that is certainly unpopular but is worth thinking about.

For some of us, we don't need certain firearms correct, but we like all firearms because firearms are fun - we enjoy using them its as simple as that.

No I don't need a AK47 to go pig shooting, I don't need an MP 40 to shoot rabbits, I don't need extended magazines on a Dragunov semi-auto to shoot deer -this is all true.

But it is fun to take these firearms to the range, and shoot up a pile of pumpkins or containers filled with water, or challenge others to see who can hit the most targets in the shortest amount of time, this is all harmless awesome fun.

I have the privilege of having some friends who hold B, C, E, F category firearms licenses and over the years spent many an enjoyable day experiencing pure unadulterated fun using all manner of firearms, muskets, uzis, desert eagles, 44 magnum, Barrett M107, the list goes on, you get the picture.

Did I need to do any of that? Nope. Do any of my friends need to own those firearms? Nope. But it is fun.

Does anyone need to own a Ford Mustang? Nope - but they do because they love cars and fast cars are what some people get excited about.

Does anyone need a Ferrari? Of course not, going over 100km/hr is illegal in NZ - but there are track days and what have you where people can take their cars and drive them in a manner that isn't legal on the public roads.

Just like people take their firearms to the range and use them in a legal way.

Everyone should be limited to cars that do not exceed 2.0, must be manual, no modifications (turbo, superchargers, etc) - that will prevent a lot of people speeding and cut back on accidents.

Want to stop drunk drivers from killing sober drivers? Ban drunk drivers from driving - that's roughly how gun control works.

But lets take a more pragmatic approach and impose similar restrictions on alcohol that has been imposed on firearms: lets limit the maximum alcoholic content of all drinks to 2%. All beers/wines/ciders/spirits must not exceed an ABV of 2%. This will make it much harder for people to get wasted drunk and significantly reduce the number of drink driving accidents.

Summary: No one needs to own these firearms (just like sports cars and the like), but we do enjoy the experience they provide - is that so wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
    Thats a good idea,and everybody should be whipped if they disagree.
    We like to live on the edge.

And which one of the cars you quote would you recommend for an act of terrorism?

The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by Bozo View Post

Did I need to do any of that? Nope. Do any of my friends need to own those firearms? Nope. But it is fun.

Does anyone need to own a Ford Mustang? Nope - but they do because they love cars and fast cars are what some people get excited about.

Want to stop drunk drivers from killing sober drivers? Ban drunk drivers from driving - that's roughly how gun control works.
    Hasn't worked so far. Drunks generally take no notice and drive anyway.
    Which is why talking their cars off them would help.

And Ford Mustangs aren't used to kill people en masse generally.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Hasn't worked so far. Drunks generally take no notice and drive anyway.
    Which is why talking their cars off them would help.

And Ford Mustangs aren't used to kill people en masse generally.
    I agree with you on both points.

Firearms are not used to kill people en masse generally either, of the approximately 1.3 million firearms in NZ how many have been used to kill people?

Taking the cars off the people that drink and drive would be great idea - just like taking the firearms off the people that use them illegally is a fantastic idea; in both situations also punishing them correctly for the crimes committed during.

When there is a suicide bombing - we blame the bomber.
    When there is a drink driving caused death - we blame the driver (we don't go and ban the type of car the person was driving or the alcohol that was consumed)
    When there is a shooting - we blame and ban the firearms?

I'm all for tightening the rules and vetting process to ensure people don't get easy access to powerful firearms, the A-category in particular was a bit weird - someone with an A-cat could purchase modifications that are only allowed to be fitted to an E-cat registered firearm

As a side note, vehicles have been used in many many terrorist attacks (by ramming) over the years, sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    And which one of the cars you quote would you recommend for an act of terrorism?
    These have all been successfully used over the past years.

Should probably ban them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bozo View Post
    But it is fun to take these firearms to the range, and shoot up a pile of pumpkins or containers filled with water, or challenge others to see who can hit the most targets in the shortest amount of time, this is all harmless awesome fun.

I have the privilege of having some friends who hold B, C, E, F category firearms licenses and over the years spent many an enjoyable day experiencing pure unadulterated fun using all manner of firearms, muskets, uzis, desert eagles, 44 magnum, Barrett M107, the list goes on, you get the picture.

I see.

Terrorist activities should be ignored so you and your friends can blow up pumpkins and containers of water.

I never thought of that.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    I see.

Terrorist activities should be ignored so you and your friends can blow up pumpkins and containers of water.

I never thought of that.
    That's really disingenuous, Bozo never committed a terrorist act, nor did his/her guns.

A terrorist will find a way to get the weapons they want to use regardless of whether there is a ban in place or not. It may bring lots of guns out of visible circulation, but also expands the black market because if people (criminals now) don't want to hand in their guns they won't, and there's not a damn thing we can do about it short of forcibly searching everyone's residences- and even then they'll find ways around it.