Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Default Re: Changes to the Firearms Act

Quote Originally Posted by WalOne View Post
    Ahh, baabits - a kindred spirit with a still intact sense of humour
    I try to be

The funny thing is he was 100% on the mark with the rest of it, but probably more like 30% instead of 10% would be telling him to buzz off back to Australia. It's next to impossible to have a reasonable conversation about this issue without people getting heated and destroying friendships over here so comedy might be our only method to actually talk about it.

Quote Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post
    for you a-cat ar15 buffs
    https://youtu.be/FlNC13722I8
    https://crossarmory.com/shop/cross-armory-ar-fixed-mag/

simply fix the mag into place and it then no longer has to be handed in.
    Oh s..t, I must have slept in.

Are we now a State of America?
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Oh s..t, I must have slept in.

Are we now a State of America?
    Worse. Because not too many people in the US don't know where we are (or have even heard of us), they think we're next door to somewhere like Montana. Whereupon because of the bear threat, the 2nd Amendment will now be amended to let Kiwis bear arms to guard themselves against the bears, or against LGBT issues like unwanted bear hugs ...

I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Computer Tech

Those that are comparing guns to the likes of cars and planes etc. is a bit silly.
    Guns were invented to kill people, and that’s all.
    Yes cars do kill people, but that’s not what they were invented for.
    If you use that argument then we’d have to ban to everything, as you can kill someone with pretty much anything.
    Just because you think it’s fun to shoot things isn’t a reason to keep these types of guns legal.

Joe, it seems to have escaped your notice, but I have been - on purpose - regularly posting in full, the NZ Police press releases.

Factual, apolitical, concise accounts of what is really happening. Devoid of conjecture, media, social comment, political agenda, lobbying.

Yes, but you believe and worship a guy that described a fellow Policeman who Framed Arthur Allen Thomas, and cost him 9 years of his life, and us $1M+ Dollars compensation, as, (I quote) “He said Mr Hutton was a good cop with good character who had "integrity beyond reproach".

However, I quote again, “The Royal Commission had found that the man who led the police inquiry into the murders – the late Bruce Hutton – planted a shell case, effectively framing Mr Thomas.”

Frankly, I don’t believe Bush’s timeline of events in Christchurch is correct either, and the Police "Backslapping Site" is just "Spin".
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Yes, but you believe and worship a guy
    Far from it - I certainly don't "worship such a guy".

I was trying to distance my posts from the social media crap and injustices the internet excels in promulgating - and from other like people who conjecture and post on this forum. Mike Bush and Arthur Alan Thomas issues aside, I was trying to introduce a measure of accuracy in reporting, so I think I am justified in using a source such as an official release from the NZ Police?

If you "don’t believe Bush’s timeline of events in Christchurch is correct", then why not? What information or basis do you have that leads you to make this assertion?
    Last edited by WalOne; 23-03-2019 at 08:23 PM.
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by CYaBro View Post
    Those that are comparing guns to the likes of cars and planes etc. is a bit silly.
    Guns were invented to kill people, and that’s all.
    Yes cars do kill people, but that’s not what they were invented for.
    If you use that argument then we’d have to ban to everything, as you can kill someone with pretty much anything.
    Just because you think it’s fun to shoot things isn’t a reason to keep these types of guns legal.
    the point of comparing cars or planes is that the over all goal is to stop people from dieing. it would make logical sense to start with the biggest causes of loss of life.
    the other point is risk. life is all about risk management. whats the most likely thing to cause your death.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Quote Originally Posted by SurferJoe46 View Post
    When/if there's a buy-back, will the full cost of the weapon be refunded?

What about extra mags?
    What about custom scopes?
    What about custom engraving?
    things like scopes etc you would not hand in. you can use them on other rifles easy enough.
    mags will probably need handing in as well.
    custom guns and competition guns is anyones guess.

one of the problems is that nz govt is well known for being cheap. but if they cheap out on this there will be repercussions for an extremely long time. innocent people will die for their failure to get it right.
    i have mentioned ways to modify the rifles into a sporting config which would reduce the cost to the govt and still remove the issue of big mags.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Yes, this government further spending our money yet again irresponsibly. Expenditure we can't afford. Reducing even further the healthy reserves they inherited when taking over the Treasury benches.
    Absolutely worth it if it prevents this sort of thing from happening again - which is very likely as it's difficult to obtain guns that don't exist. 50 lives lost is not to be taken lightly.
    "He who resorts to personal insults hath lost the argument."

Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by pcuser42 View Post
    Absolutely worth it if it prevents this sort of thing from happening again - which is very likely as it's difficult to obtain guns that don't exist. 50 lives lost is not to be taken lightly.
    Except for the who knows how many that are out there that are now going to sky rocket in value because they're banned and be sold on the black market.

People who would use their guns for killing others aren't going to hand them in, and people who would hand them in would most likely not use their guns for kill others. An under resourced police department isn't going to have a chance in hell of recovering them all either. So we've successfully just taken away the guns who were in the hands of those at the lowest risk of doing anything bad with them, while allowing others who would either keep them and sell them for a much higher price on the black market or hide them and do something bad with them later to get ahead of the curb and put them somewhere safe.

Just because we make a law saying this gun is illegal and say you have to hand them in, doesn't mean they will all magically disappear.

Congrats, you've bought back all the guns you could for god knows how much money and successfully reduced the risk by 0. At least next time it happens (god forbid) we can pat ourselves on the back for having done something, however ineffective.