Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: iMac Mid-2011 random static noise from speakers

Have a look - Then its not static then...because it only comes on when you play an audio file or a notification comes on, really curious what you guys think!

https://streamable.com/ya7ay

Had to wait till today to play that, the headphones wouldn't go loud enough, so onto the Workshop PC crank up the speakers

Defiantly static alright. Doing a bit of looking around it appears to be a regular problem with some MAC's and iTunes. Some say its the equaliser or QuickTime causing the problem.

Whether the no functioning headphones have anything to do with it I don't know, BUT try this -- Install some other media player, theres plenty, ( just a couple) VLC, Clementine.

Once installed try playing something see if you still get the static - if not - its something to do with iTunes.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 18-03-2019 at 11:15 AM.

Play something from youtube , in your browser , and see if it has that noise .

Morning guys, I sincerely appreciate your help! So I first did the SMC reset and while restart no static noise appeared when you hear the chimes when the Mac first starts up. I installed VLC and played a random song and although the static sounds now sounds more faint it still remains there. I then opened iTunes, same static sound, same level of static noise.. It also appears in browsing, when there is a commercial thats playing or a sound file. It starts as the same time the notification or commercial does, then turns off 20 sec after...am starting to think it is the power board and socket? I should try that tonight when I get home to relocate the Mac and see if it still continues in another socket, power board or room?? Do we get these outlet checkers in New Zealand?
    Last edited by mark1978; 19-03-2019 at 06:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark1978 View Post
    ...am starting to think it is the power board and socket? I should try that tonight when I get home to relocate the Mac and see if it still continues in another socket, power board or room?? Do we get these outlet checkers in New Zealand?
    Try another power outlet in another room. You did say it does this on battery though ?
    Its unlikely to be that, both the MAC's power supply & the motherboard will have plenty of filtering

Since it doesnt have this issue through Bluetooth , it could be an issue with the audio circuit (the built in amp that powers the speakers).
    A complete wipe/reset of the OS might be the next step , just to confirm its not a software/driver issue .
    Or just use BT speakers .

Hi 1101, its an old Mid 2011 iMac desktop, so no battery. I have put the iMac in the kitchen and plugged it in there, no static noise through the apple chime but as soon as I open iTunes, a website or a notification comes on so does the static noise, however it seems more faded. the intensity of the noise seems to vary. I believe it might be an issue on the logic board. I attempted to log out and log into a guest account to see if its a software issue however it does the same thing. frustrating! If I knew where on the logic board the problem is located I would take it apart and inspect it.

I took the iMac apart tonight, cleaned it out, put back together, to no avail. Thanks for everyone's support.