Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default iMac Mid-2011 random static noise from speakers

So this happened this morning, without warning or anything. It comes on if I click on iTunes and attempt to play a song, the static sound remains throughout the entire song, then when the song is over...the static noise continues for about 20sec and then stops. I have done the NVRAM reset to no avail. Anyone else having these issues or know how to fix it?

Default Re: iMac Mid-2011 random static noise from speakers

Could be some sort of interference, like an external source, bit like if you have a cell close to speakers you get a few beeps seconds before it rings.

Have a read of the following, several options to try. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...often.1027759/

Does it do it when playing audio from any other source ( meaning Not using iTunes)

I was hoping you would reply... it happens every time a sound file plays (like mail) or iTunes, a website that has a sound file or video... then it turns on...once its over it continues for about 20 seconds lol...its so damn weird! Sulpher?? I have a bluetooth speaker which doesn't do it! LOL...I saw the article, yet to try that! But I have my doubts, been googling all morning! LOL
    Last edited by mark1978; 16-03-2019 at 09:28 AM.

Just an update: Definitely something funny going on. I turned the iMac off, unplugged the power cable to no avail. It seems this static noise is picked up every time it is playing a sound file whether this is a notification or song through iTunes. Then after 20 sec it turns of however it remains on throughout... am not sure what to do now, the sound is static however I also heard some whistling noise.... very very odd

VoidMaster

Can you play a music CD or an mp3 off a Flash drive to see whether or not the static occurs to start to eliminate causes and possible faulty speakers/amplifiers etc.

Is the static in both speakers or just one? Put on headphones and see if they also exhibit the problem.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Adding to Zqwerty's post, also try muting the MIC if it has one, could be feedback.

Its really a process of elimination as to what its not.

So when I plug in my headphones and open iTunes, the headphones don't work and continue to play music through the speakers, the static sound appears as soon as the song started and finishes around 20 seconds after the song ends. Then if I open system preferences and sound and click on any random sound effect the static noise occurs, then again 20sec after it finishes. When I play the sound via bluetooth to the bluetooth speaker there is no static sound. It is really bizar, tried to mute both mic and the sound, of course when I mute the sound completely the static noise does not occur. It does occur when I ted the microphone......freakin bizar, however I havent heard the static whistling noise anymore...just static now....

So when I plug in my headphones and open iTunes, the headphones don't work and continue to play music through the speakers,
    When headphones are plugged in they "should" disable the External speakers. Is there are option to select the default output device ( like windows has --I'm asking because I dont know MAC's audio Options) ???

Example:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Output.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	9422

If there is plug in the headphones and see if you can change the device.

When I play the sound via bluetooth to the bluetooth speaker there is no static sound.
    Bluetooth is redirecting the output to another source. (good hint)

So - Working on those two facts to me that sounds ( no pun intended) like the connection / association between the External speakers / Headphone Jack is broken, thus causing the static as well, this may be caused by some wiring connection, a plug come lose or broken Wires if the jack and motherboard are connected that way.

If it were me, I'd be pulling the PC apart to get to the section where the headphones are and look to see how they are connected, check any wires /Plugs to make sure they are all OK.

As I mentioned earlier "Its really a process of elimination as to what its not. "
    Last edited by wainuitech; 16-03-2019 at 04:11 PM.

The headphone jack is not working thats a fact, I have plugged in two different headphones in to no avail. Is it possible to upload a video here for you guys to watch and hear?? I did think about taking it apart but, the logic board is deeply hidden inside the iMac and if I have to get to that part of the back of the ports I have to take everything apart. (maybe thats a good thing lol, for a good clean)

You can post a link to an uploaded Video here , but not the actual Video. BUT static noise is generally caused by some sort of interference, what that interference is could be many things, mind you a external cause like feedback is different to a lose wire.

IF you want to upload a video, one place I use that's free ( no account required) is https://streamable.com/ It will give you a link once uploaded.