Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Default Re: What's Going On In ChCh?

If the link above doesn't work try this one.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-...variant=tb_v_2

Chasing Terrorists with ATM's indeed.
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Its ok I am from Motueka. prefect's Avatar

The guy arrested in Christchurch just for wearing camo gear should be able to sue the ass off the police for false arrest.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

OK - I'm going there in a moment - but first --- this is particularly --- er, bothersome and I don't blame you - I blame the people who don't know and present this fallacy as fact. I refer to:

rethink their policies when dealing with Terrorists and Automatic Weapons.
    I did not see and I am not unsure of this --- that there weren't any AUTOMATIC weapons there.

It was a SEMI-automatic rifle - and it was either a M-16 or an AK, but I don't know them well enough other than to sortta recognize them - and they were not automatic. They look nasty, but they are really nothing much more than a 22 Mag rifle that some use to take down rabbits and squirrels on their property. OK - they are a little hotter - but they are not an automatic weapon.

I am hearing right now that in NZ there is a rush on the gun shops to buy weapons before they are banned.

Your PM said: "Our gun laws will change". Sadly, there is no way to go into a time machine and take the firearms away from those who will not turn them in now.

In Upsidedown Land, you don't have a 2nd Amendment to fall back upon - so I guess that she can swoop in and take your firearms away.

.... going to the sites you sent me................I'll be good for a bit..................

Warum werden wir so früh alt und klug so spät?

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

.... imagine if Aziz had a gun!

Coming to YOUR neighborhood:
    Use an ATM - go to jail! ​

Warum werden wir so früh alt und klug so spät?

Damn it Joe, we have a different way of life here than you do in the gun crazy USA. You post are offending me and probably others here on the forum. I am just thankful that we have a different attitudes compared to the Americans and their way of life.

We are not used to these sorts of things happening and I think that most Kiwis are like me, rather numbed by the whole thing.

Ken

Its ok I am from Motueka. prefect's Avatar

I disagree with you Ken he is just clarifying the difference between auto and semi auto. The Yanks are not allowed autos generally and ours only have a 7 shot mag. It angers me because the shooter was not one of us, he was a foreigner, he came here from a foreign country carried out the shooting. Now a quarter of a million gun nz owners here will mucked around. Its just not fair
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

That's OK prefect... we agree to differ. I used to do a bit of shooting myself in younger days. (Shotgun, .22 and .303)

The thing that gets up my nose is the gung ho attitude of Americans in assuring us that the answer to all our problems is for people have a gun so as to shoot back.

Definitely not my way of life thanks.

Ken

I'm with Ken.

It really doesn't matter a **** whether the weapons were automatic, what calibre, etc. Nor whether we have a second amendment to hide behind or not (having not got it right first off and given into the gun lobby way back then).

What does matter is that our nation, smaller than the size of many American cities, has been shaken to its core that such a thing should happen in our otherwise peaceful country. Our unrest is not focused on firearms issues, but that this was brought about by a single perpetrator, it was hate driven, and is a mass shooting so alien to our way of life.

FYI, here's how where we stand on a world ranking of The Deadliest Mass Shootings in History:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shootings.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	9423

We've already moved into slot 8 with the death in hospital of a further victim.

It is almost a certainty that New Zealand will move to 8th on that list. Of these atrocities 4, 6, and 7 were the work of a single shooter and it appears that this is also the case in Christchurch.

Number 7 in South Korea appears to be someone who randomly went on a spree, maybe drunk, maybe simply cross with his girlfriend, maybe grumpy about his posting to the countryside. He was killed so we will never know but terrorism and hatred were not the motivators.

Number 6 still has more unanswered questions about it than a box of Trivial Pursuit. Motivation? Who knows? He was killed as well.

Number 4 has been well canvassed and was clearly a hate driven attack.

Thus New Zealand rises to number two in the world for the number of victims from a single perpetrator, hate driven, mass shooting.
    Source: https://www.worldatlas.com/

So there is only one US mass shooting with a worse outcome than Christchurch. But foreign commentators should be cognizant that our population is only 4.8m against the US' 327.2m. Each and every one of us in this country is much more closer to the horror than many in say the USA where many of its citizenry have never even heard of this country.

The shock here is palpable but let us deal with our grief in our own way. The time will come when we need to look at the broader issues ... guns, security, immigration.

But that time is not now.

So no matter what the sincerest of sincere motivations may be, this is a very sensitive issue we need to handle ourselves.
    Last edited by WalOne; 17-03-2019 at 06:15 PM.
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Thank you Wal.

Ken

Personally, I am disgusted by the whole affair, but haven’t forgotten the next of kin of the victims of the Twin Towers (2900+) and “Many” other atrocities committed by the Islamic community.

But as an aside, when I read about about this hero chasing a terrorist with a Credit Card Machine, my mind flicked back to THIS.

Seems the Muslims and the Christians have something in common.
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.