Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Default Re: What's Going On In ChCh?

Quote Originally Posted by prefect View Post
    Do you want armed Muslims or any religious nuts of any religion in New Zealand?
    I don’t want any “Nutters” in NZ, but we are stuck with them and I don’t see why I should have to take a knife to a gunfight.
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Can I suggest that if some of the congregation were armed, 49 wouldn’t have died, because one or more of the congregation would have shot him,?
    I suggest not. It still happens in the US, it just leads to gunfights and even more get killed.

As for food and accommodation, that can be taken care of by having a death penalty.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by SurferJoe46 View Post
    I LIKE to fish and I dislike having a bear remove my liver as I watch. Yeah - they do that.
    If it's eating your fish, it's not eating your liver.
    Ex-pctek

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    If it's eating your fish, it's not eating your liver.
    Funny you should say that.................

I got a buddy who, when a bear came to stand beside him as he was bringing in a big trout, just gave the trout to the bear ---- and the bear left.

My friend was carrying a Ruger .44cal Super Blackhawk pistol, that could easily kill a bear, but the bear never postured nor attempted to harm him, so he never shot the bear.

It was a trade-off --- the fish --- for another day fishing.

Warum werden wir so früh alt und klug so spät?

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    I suggest not. It still happens in the US, it just leads to gunfights and even more get killed.

As for food and accommodation, that can be taken care of by having a death penalty.
    I see, so you would prefer a Massacre to a Gun Fight.

Quite how disarming innocent law abiding citizens is going to stop the Criminals using firearms has never been explained to me. Maybe you would like to?

The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

I sincerely think there's more dirt that will not go quietly under the carpet here. I'm still thinking Manchurian Candidate.

Let's see if this ChCh shooting story even survives tomorrow's news cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by SurferJoe46 View Post
    Let's see if this ChCh shooting story even survives tomorrow's news cycle.
    A tad insensitive Joe, it's inappropriate, and I for one don't appreciate it.

Here's the latest Police update:

[QUOTE]
    "Update 14: Christchurch terror attack"

Please attribute to Police Commissioner Mike Bush

Sadly, Police can confirm this morning that during the scene examination of the Deans Avenue Mosque yesterday, the body of a further victim was found.

The death toll now stands at 50.

36 people remain in hospital in Canterbury District, being treated for injuries. Eleven of those are in a critical condition.
    In addition, the four-year-old child transported to Starship Hospital in Auckland yesterday remains in a critical condition.

Public safety remains the Police’s priority nationally, and particularly in Christchurch following the tragic events on Friday.

Police ask that people return to their daily lives, but also, be vigilant. If you “see something, say something”.

If you have information which may help the investigation into the Christchurch attacks, please use the online form available at www.police.govt.nz

The online form is not an emergency channel - if you see anything suspicious or need urgent help, please ring 111 immediately.

Mosque update

Mosques are welcome to open their doors if they choose to do so. Police will continue to maintain a presence at all Mosques across New Zealand.

Mosque scene update

Police are continuing the scene examinations of Al Noor Mosque on Deans Avenue and Masjid Mosque on Linwood Avenue today.

Identification of victims

Police is working closely and extensively with partners to identify the injured and deceased victims of the Christchurch attack.

This is detailed and complex work that must be completed thoroughly.

The victims have been removed from both Mosques. This means that victim identification work can progress.

A range of activities must be completed before names can be released publicly. This includes next of kin notifications, which, in many cases, will have international aspects to them.

Police understands the religious duty of the Islamic faith to bury the deceased as soon as possible, and is working closely with the Chief Coroner to do everything possible to expedite the process.

Arrests and outcomes

In addition to the 28-year-old man who appeared in court yesterday, two people were arrested after the attacks and held in custody. At this stage there is no indication that they are connected to the attacks.

One of those people has been charged with a separate offence and remanded in custody.

The other has been released.

I can also confirm that due to evidence collected during the investigation we have taken another person into custody.

There is no information to suggest this person is linked to the attacks.

Enquiries are ongoing in relation to this person and we will update you when we are able.

Dunedin

The search of a property in Somerville Street, Dunedin, has now completed.

A number of items of interest were located however no items that would present harm to members of the public were discovered.

Those nearby residents who were evacuated overnight have been able to return to their homes and Police thank them for their cooperation.

A Police scene guard will remain in place at the property.

ENDS

/QUOTE]
    Last edited by WalOne; 17-03-2019 at 10:19 AM.
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

I don't know why you'd insult me that way.

It's not the insensitivity that's at stake here - it's the commonality of the way things are rapidly deteriorating that is the problem.

If you poke me hard enough, I too bleed - but that this unforgivable thing happened to my friends in Upsidedown Land indeed makes me pained - the reality though is that we are only seeing what I believe to be a small quake that on a scale of zero to ten, is maybe a five.

Yeah - a lot of people died - that's a given, but the news and the talking heads will move on and there's sunshine tomorrow and things will go back to a sorta-normal again.

The NEXT time something like this happens, the shock of THIS time will numb most people to what's happening and it'll get to a yawn and 'I saw it all before'...... that's how civilizations go down.

Insensitivity? Failure to shock? Old hat?

The new normal.

THAT'S where I was going and I'm sorry you misinterpreted my words. You cannot see the grimace on my face and since you can't tell that I too resent the shortness of memory and the failure to be incensed at things that should cause our hearts to stop every time... you haven't understood what I said, THAT I can tell!

HERE'S THE LATEST FROM THE US ( and I'm just the messenger here )

‘Restrictive’ New Zealand Gun Laws Useless at Stopping Mosque Massacres

Ammoland Inc. Posted on March 15, 2019 by David Codrea

New Zealand Police Commissioner Mike Bush held a press conference on the Christchurch Mosque shootings.

U.S.A. – -(Ammoland.com)-

LIVESTREAM TERROR New Zealand mosque shootings – White supremacist gunman videos live murder of 49 at two Christchurch mosques,” The Sun headline declares. Shocking GoPro footage – too graphic to publish – shows a shooter executing Muslim worshippers at point blank range with automatic (sic) weapons.”

“New Zealand mosques' attack suspect praised Trump in manifesto,” Al-Jazeera followed up. “A suspected gunman behind the Christchurch attacks has dubbed the US president as ‘a symbol of renewed white identity'.”

The press has got all the usual suspects rounded up and ready to blame, right down to indicting Trump, white males, and guns while championing Islamic migrants.

In the frenzied and hate-fueled mob-inciting, the politicization, and the media scramble to get scoops before all the facts are in, it would be helpful to introduce some known information into the mix.

“New Zealand gun laws face scrutiny after Christchurch attack,” The Guardian claims. “Unlike UK and Australia there is no ban on semi-automatic military-style weapons.” Disregarding for a moment that The Sun subhead claimed the weapons were “automatic,” reflecting the admitted intent of the Violence Policy Center to sow public confusion, the go-to authority consulted here is Philip Alpers, founding director of GunPolicy.org.

It’s instructive to consult what that organization has to say about New Zealand gun law and to note what the “mainstream” media is deliberately not telling us. Because per Alpers’ website, “The regulation of guns in New Zealand is categorised as restrictive … In New Zealand, the right to private gun ownership is not guaranteed by law.”

It’s true, as is being claimed, that there is no ban, per se, on semi-autos. Instead:

“In New Zealand, private possession of semi-automatic assault weapons is restricted to police-approved licensed gun owners with a Military-Style Semi Automatic (MSSA) licence endorsement. Each MSSA must be registered to its owner and securely stored when not in use.”

Of relevance:

“In New Zealand, private possession of fully automatic weapons is restricted to police-approved licensed gun owners with a ‘collector' licence endorsement. Each automatic or restricted weapon must be registered to its owner, and disabled when not in use".

“In New Zealand, private possession of handguns (pistols and revolvers) is restricted to police-approved licensed gun owners with a ‘pistol’ licence endorsement. Each handgun must be registered to its owner and securely stored.”

Special license endorsement firearms require a “genuine reason” for possession, “including sports shooting, hunting, and collection. Owning a firearm for self-defence is specifically excluded, and prohibited.”

New Zealand requires criminal and mental health checks with third-party character references.

It has licensing and registration “of individual civilians licensed to acquire, possess, sell or transfer a firearm or ammunition.”

It has domestic violence prohibitions.

Compare that to the “Universal Background Check” and “Red Flag/ERPO” edicts demanded for the U.S. as “common sense.”

Private sales require a license, and “The buyer of a firearm in a private sale in New Zealand is obliged to pass official background checks before taking possession.”

Yet still, it is not enough, which tracks with experience here.

What’s left is a total ban, something “common sense gun safety law” proponents dismiss as NRA propaganda, but which the less restrained in the citizen disarmament movement have demanded on too many occasions to ignore.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

About David Codrea:David Codrea

David Codrea is the winner of multiple journalist awards for investigating/defending the RKBA and a long-time gun owner rights advocate who defiantly challenges the folly of citizen disarmament. He blogs at “The War on Guns: Notes from the Resistance,” is a regularly featured contributor to Firearms News, and posts on Twitter: @dcodrea and Facebook

News you may not have got Joe.

It would seem that the Military and Police are going to have to rethink their policies when dealing with Terrorists and Automatic Weapons.

It now seems a "Credit Card Machine" is the weapon of choice in this situation.

Full story HEREhttps://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-...variant=tb_v_2
    Last edited by B.M.; 17-03-2019 at 03:20 PM.