Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314

Default Re: What's Going On In ChCh?

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Another aspect of this is I dont believe that when Muslim Terrorists killed nearly 3000 in the Twin Towers attack any Islamic entity apologised.

There have of course been many Islamic Terrorist attacks, and I dont think any were followed by outpouring of sorrow from anyone in the Islamic community.

I referenced earlier about the slaughter of 120 Christians in Uganda. Interesting that the New York Times never mentioned this at all.

Makes one wonder if all the grandstanding around Christchurch was worth it.
    Sadly, no.
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

A friend in the UK told me that they are discouraged from advertising Pork products as it may offend the Muslims! My answer to this sort of thinking is that if they object to the customs of their adopted country, they should leave.

Quote Originally Posted by mzee View Post
    A friend in the UK told me that they are discouraged from advertising Pork products as it may offend the Muslims! My answer to this sort of thinking is that if they object to the customs of their adopted country, they should leave.
    Or not go there in the first place?

Perhaps, work on rebuilding Christchurch' Cathedral, a Christian icon in the very centre of the city should be cancelled?

And while they're at it, the very name "Christ Church" may be deemed offensive and should be renamed?

As one observer put it,

"The terrible loss of life in Christchurch does not change one basic fact Christianity, on which western civilisation is based, and the Muslim religion are poles apart. That has not changed and will not change."

Our politicians and hired help** must stop their current PC madness and not be allowed to sell us - our heritage - down the road.

** Hired help: civil servants
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Way I understand it both the bible and koran are basically the same book.

Caveat 'I have read neither as I'm not really a reader of fiction books'

I said I wouldn't comment on this thread anymore, so this is definitely my last word on this thread.

I think the issues of immigration and religion are quite separate from the issues of a random nutjob going on a mass shooting spree personally.
    Just because he chose this particular group as a target doesn't lay any of the blame on their door. There are things their religion has to answer for, but surely we can't include this act among them?

I'd not dispute the large difference in culture and religion but I think I would dispute western civilisation being based on Christianity. Certainly it has played a big part and continues to, but I'd suggest it's just one piece of a rich and diverse history and culture not the entire basis of it. As people of European descent I think we tend to overlook our own culture quite a bit, but we do have it.

But like Gary I think it's all fiction. I think we would be better off without any of it. How many other bronze age beliefs do we cling to? Both religions preach murder and genocide if you take them literally and both claim to be peaceful.
    The atrocities of Christianity are largely in the past now but let's not pretend they didn't happen.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Leaving Religion right out of the debate, it would only be a matter of time before we had “American Style, Copy Cat, School Shootings”.

I never thought I’d read from the same page as 120 politicians and agree that to rid ourselves of Military Style Weapons was a no brainer.

Yes, I know, the Rambo family will be bitterly disappointed to have their toy’s taken off them but the world doesn’t revolve around them.
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Both religions preach murder and genocide if you take them literally and both claim to be peaceful.
    The atrocities of Christianity are largely in the past now but let's not pretend they didn't happen.
    Religions arnt the problem. Religions are the justification/excuse .
    Non religious countries have done some of the worst mass murders ever.

Humans are basically animals .
    We are programmed to be nasty , evolution favoured those who conquer & kill & looked after only their own tribe or group.
    Pacifists historically dont do so well, even in NZ's past .

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    Way I understand it both the bible and koran are basically the same book.

Caveat 'I have read neither as I'm not really a reader of fiction books'

I said I wouldn't comment on this thread anymore, so this is definitely my last word on this thread.
    Koran is based on the old testament and the bible is based on the new testament.

Don't know which silly old b u g g e r married an Arab woman the second time round and that's where it all started.

Look at Brunei now as the example, will sharia law be allowed by the UN, rofl. Could be wrong here.

Dr Google is our friend when we need to know something. Look up Abraham, Isaac or Jacob as I think both believe in Abraham as founding father.

lurking.

ps. muslims site Jesus as a prophet in their book, as a feely feely good response fo christians no doubt, but isis shoots that down.

lurks.

I see NZ conspiracy nutters are starting to get some news media coverage now, regarding the Chch shootings
    Kiwi's believing its linked to the Measles outbreak as some govt conspiracy, others saying it was the UN who organised the shooting.

Unfortunately, conspiracy nutjobs are as much as 5% of the population, from what one researcher claimed
    Honestly, it must be low level mental illness for people to look for conspiracies .

It must be bollocks. The UN couldn't organise anything.