Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 140
  1. #81
    Senior Member baabits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    too far away
    Posts
    196

    Default Re: What's Going On In ChCh?

    Quote Originally Posted by CYaBro View Post
    No problems with that.
    Treat them the same as those who distribute or watch child pornography.
    It's not child pornography though. It might still be terrible but certainly not worth jailing someone over.

  2. #82
    tweakedgeek tweak'e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    winterlessnorth (well almost)
    Posts
    4,778

    Default Re: What's Going On In ChCh?

    this thread is sounding pretty typical of what happens after these sorts of events.
    a bunch of people with no experience and no real information, making opinions based on emotion, make demands to do things that have consequence that they do not know of and often don't even care about.
    they shout loud and are joined by all the sheep that don't know how to use their brains to make their own opinion.
    then the govt makes some stupid new rules to shut them up.
    then it all quietens down and is forgotten, well except for the new rules don't work as intended and often ends up making things far worse.

    this is nothing new, one of the big problems is anti-gun people are their own worse enemy and often end up making things worse for everyone because they don't actually do anything thats sensible.

    couple of quick points,
    your never going to get rid of guns ever. live with it.
    if you have money you can get anything.

    you can't actually get a license to shoot machine guns or automatics. the only machine guns you can get are collector items and usually extremely expensive and you can't shoot them.
    no hunter has or would use an automatic gun for hunting.

    the other interesting thing thats worth thinking about is history is full of firearms that people have made to get around rules or patents.
    one recent one is an AR15 semi auto rifle that isn't a semi-auto rifle, its manually operated but still does the shoot a round with every trigger pull like a semi-auto. this would also get around any magazine restrictions and stock restrictions that nz has.
    much like the pump action AR15 thats been on sale here for decades.

    what people don't seam to understand is that what gun the evil sod used doesn't matter. even if semi's where all banned, or all AR's where banned etc, it still would have happened and would have had the exact same outcome. only difference is he would have used something else.
    sorry to say but thats the reality of the situation.
    Tweak it till it breaks

  3. #83
    Computer Tech
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Oamaru
    Posts
    5,798

    Default Re: What's Going On In ChCh?

    Quote Originally Posted by baabits View Post
    It's not child pornography though. It might still be terrible but certainly not worth jailing someone over.
    Why not?
    You think people being murdered isnít as bad as kiddy porn?

  4. #84
    Retired old codger kenj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Nhapier
    Posts
    5,311

    Default Re: What's Going On In ChCh?

    Quote Originally Posted by CYaBro View Post
    Why not?
    You think people being murdered isnít as bad as kiddy porn?
    +1

    Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

  5. #85
    Senior Member baabits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    too far away
    Posts
    196

    Default Re: What's Going On In ChCh?

    Quote Originally Posted by CYaBro View Post
    Why not?
    You think people being murdered isn’t as bad as kiddy porn?
    I never said that people being murdered isn't as bad as kiddy porn. Sad if you interpret my words that way.

    Media outlets have used part of this video in public broadcasts and it has spread like wildfire across social media. It might be distasteful but it's already out there in the public in a major way. Threatening to jail people for simply having a copy of it is going too far.

  6. #86
    Computer Tech
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Oamaru
    Posts
    5,798

    Default Re: What's Going On In ChCh?

    Quote Originally Posted by baabits View Post
    I never said that people being murdered isn't as bad as kiddy porn. Sad if you interpret my words that way.

    Media outlets have used part of this video in public broadcasts and it has spread like wildfire across social media. It might be distasteful but it's already out there in the public in a major way. Threatening to jail people for simply having a copy of it is going too far.
    You said yourself thatís itís not worth jailing someone over so Iím not interpreting anything.

    If someone watches or shares child porn and they get caught they go to jail, this should be no different.

  7. #87
    Senior Member baabits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    too far away
    Posts
    196

    Default Re: What's Going On In ChCh?

    Quote Originally Posted by CYaBro View Post
    You said yourself thatís itís not worth jailing someone over so Iím not interpreting anything.

    If someone watches or shares child porn and they get caught they go to jail, this should be no different.
    This isn't child porn though. Parts of it have been broadcast on public TV, news channels have used parts of it in their rolls, it's already way out there in the public and some people are going to be curious. They shouldn't be penalized for that.

    And I said that this video isn't worth jailing someone over- not child porn.
    Last edited by baabits; 18-03-2019 at 09:50 PM.

  8. #88
    pcsourcepoint
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Otara, Auckland
    Posts
    3,062

    Default Re: What's Going On In ChCh?

    If a one has possession of objectionable material, may not necessarily mean that they knowingly personally gathered/obtained or downloaded it. I'm sure used hard drives have been purchased with other's personal material on it - perhaps not directly apparent (i.e. hidden/password sectors) or easily accessible to view.
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

  9. #89
    Rocket Dog WalOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Ellerslie
    Posts
    5,231

    Default Re: What's Going On In ChCh?

    I don't want to hijack your #82 post, tweak'e - I agree with of most of it - but I can't resist to make the observation that this quote sums up our government very well ...

    Quote Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post
    a bunch of people with no experience and no real information, making opinions based on emotion, make demands to do things that have consequence that they do not know of and often don't even care about.
    Last edited by WalOne; 19-03-2019 at 10:29 AM.
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

    Dr Lester Levy


    I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

    Leonard Cohen

  10. #90
    Computer Tech
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Oamaru
    Posts
    5,798

    Default Re: What's Going On In ChCh?

    Quote Originally Posted by baabits View Post
    This isn't child porn though. Parts of it have been broadcast on public TV, news channels have used parts of it in their rolls, it's already way out there in the public and some people are going to be curious. They shouldn't be penalized for that.

    And I said that this video isn't worth jailing someone over- not child porn.
    You've watched it, haven't you?
    I haven't seen any of it on TV, and TV One at least has said from the start that they will not be showing it.
    And just because it's already out there in the public doesn't make it OK to share/watch.

    I think it is worth jailing someone over for sharing it, as they are helping spread the message that this nutter wants everyone to hear/see.
    Some people are going to be curious about child porn so they shouldn't be penalized for that?

Similar Threads

  1. Another big quake in Chch
    By Paul.Cov in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 23-06-2011, 08:16 AM
  2. ChCh Quakes
    By Poppa John in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-06-2011, 07:32 PM
  3. Hey CHCh -- keep them down your way - Thanks
    By wainuitech in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 02-03-2011, 11:38 AM
  4. Steel in CHCH
    By bluezone in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-07-2010, 11:05 PM
  5. ChCh Weather...Is It This Bad?
    By SurferJoe46 in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 06-06-2008, 01:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •