Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Default Re: What's Going On In ChCh?

The following is the latest update from the Police Commissioner (emphasis mine)

"Update 15: Christchurch terror attack"
    Please attribute to Police Commissioner Mike Bush

Following the terror attack on Friday, I am fully aware that many people will want to return to their routines. The public wants to go back to school, work, their recreational activities, etc.

It’s the role of New Zealand Police to enable people to do that. That is why people in Christchurch will notice that Police are highly visible – on the streets, around businesses, schools, and in the air. This is for everyone’s safety; it’s to reassure the public.

This increased presence and visibility is throughout New Zealand; our cities, towns, and neighbourhoods. Again, this is for everyone’s reassurance.

It’s our job to ensure people feel safe and are safe. So you will feel safe to go about what you want to do.

Response times:

There has been some speculation around the Police response times to the first attack on Deans Ave on Friday.

To clarify, Police received its first 111 call at 1.41pm.

The first armed Police unit was on scene at 1.47pm.

That’s six minutes to respond.

Within 10 minutes, our Armed Offenders Squad was on scene.

Within 36 minutes, a mobile offender was in custody.

I am very proud of the Police response to this terrible attack.
    The Commissioner and his Police staff should be congratulated and thanked for this level of service.

I heard a USA commentator criticising what they saw as a lack of police response, because there were no sirens and flashing lights. Just a helpful comment to such observers ... we do things differently here. And arguably more efficiently.
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Personally, I am disgusted by the whole affair, but haven’t forgotten the next of kin of the victims of the Twin Towers (2900+) and “Many” other atrocities committed by the Islamic community.

But as an aside, when I read about about this hero chasing a terrorist with a Credit Card Machine, my mind flicked back to THIS.

Seems the Muslims and the Christians have something in common.
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

There are those... I'm included.... who honestly recognize what's happened, but kenj..... you've got me all wrong.

I'm sorry I seem to have incensed you, and my writing about the news cycles is true even though the sting still hurts and a brand-new sullied day has arrived upon your shores.

I felt it myself when The Texas Tower Shooter (* see note) blew all our minds in the USA a whole bunch of years ago. I remember that because I somehow do... not that many others can or that they weren't born yet. It was 1966 and I feel everything went downhill from that point.

Sad to say it is, but this sort of thing is late to arrive in Upsidedown Land..... now it has ..... and as sure as there's no way of going back, there's also no time for denial. It may sound cruel to some .... you made that clear.... but that people die and do so in other lands pretty much all day long.... is not a condemnation on you, your country, your beliefs or a failure in any way.

Do you remember the French Charlie Hebdo Newspaper killings?
    What about the Fulani herdsmen murdering Christian in Karamar, Kajuru?
    How about the San Bernardino Attack here in California, by Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik?
    Do you remember the televised Al-Qaeda beheadings on TV in 1994, 1997, 2002, 2004, 2005?
    The ISIS beheadings that started in 2015 to current day?
    TheJFK Assasination?
    The RFK Assasination?
    The Gerald Ford Attempted Assassination by Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme?
    The Ronald Reagan Attempted Assasination by John Hinckley Jr.?
    There are more, everywhere, every day, all over the world.

You see.... all these things can be brought back to mind if someone mentions them. But these vivid images fade quickly from daily memory and get less and less attention and conversation as time goes by.

That was my reference to the "News Cycle", it surely wasn't to provoke you to anger, but just to help you see and think that as nasty as this may seem, it's done and done. The next page become today's page as your yesterday page fades

As sure as I know that a new window of horrors opened in 1966 in Texas.... that there are many more windows to be opened before this is finally removed from the earth. .... forever.

I pray for you and your bruised heart and mind .... it having been gobsmacked in places that are not likely visible..... that these weigh heavily on and in your crying heart. They do mine too.

I was not trying to be crass nor insensitive nor trying to cheap-shot you or anyone on your upturned tectonic plate. I didn't ever want this to happen in Upsidedown Land.... but you and I now know that nobody is exempt anymore.

Be cool and remember I'm thinking about youse guys.

* https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univ...tower_shooting

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Personally, I am disgusted by the whole affair, but haven’t forgotten the next of kin of the victims of the Twin Towers (2900+) and “Many” other atrocities committed by the Islamic community.
    BM, I also said,
    The time will come when we need to look at the broader issues ... guns, security, immigration.
    We must not let our sympathies for the victims of the appalling events of last Friday cloud these issues. But as I wrote in an earlier post, now is not the time.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Joe, in response to your diatribe #63 above, Yes, this is the age of misinformation, an age of manipulation by the news media, and an age where anybody can seek to influence others with lies, fanciful conclusions, conspiracy theories et al, through social media.

I know what you're saying ... we can quickly become inured to some of the nastiness of the modern world.

But in this country, we haven't reached that pitiable state yet. It will happen, I have no doubt.

But before it does, let us deal with our issues in our own way. And in our own time.

Dr Lester Levy

Leonard Cohen

I have decided not to post any more in this thread since some members have kidnapped it. I know what I know from a very inside view, end of story.

Quote Originally Posted by WalOne View Post
    ......<>

But in this country, we haven't reached that pitiable state yet. It will happen, I have no doubt.

But before it does, let us deal with our issues in our own way. And in our own time.

+1

This whole thread has been really interesting to read with a wide range of diverse opinions. I'm a Kiwi who currently lives in D.C. and was completely shocked by what happened. It was even more numbing to hear that it had happened at home, can't even remember a full on mass shooting like this throughout my lifetime in all of NZ. Shootings are a regular occurrence here, and DC sees spikes in gun crime every year with some of the strictest gun laws in the country. NZ isn't the US though- we're far more laid back, with a far smaller population (NYC alone has almost double our population in about ~780 km2) and very centralized in terms of management. That's not to mention the lack of a gun culture (which is understandable in the US, they fled from Britain and their guns were the only thing that kept them safe) and a lack of regulation not just on guns but on many fronts.

It has been stunning to watch the immediate politicization of the entire event here. You regularly hear about how Fox News is so terrible but the truth is all the cable news networks suck, and suck royally. The three big ones jumped on the situation straight away, with MSNBC and CNN blaming Trump and Fox blaming immigration and hint of hand quietly blaming Muslims. Even in Aus the media couldn't get the name of the guy and his manifesto out fast enough, whereas the NZ Herald were pretty slim on details about the guy and his manifesto.

Framing things in a muslim vs white extremist vs every other political/religious category seems a bit disingenuous. These are people who have mental conditions and feel justified in committing these horrific acts, the religions or extremist beliefs might push them to do more but that doesn't change the root of the issue. You can't read that manifesto and tell me that guy wasn't pakaru in the head, no matter how normal he appeared to his neighbors and co-workers. Hoping that the reforms will be reasonable and not be strictly applied to where it needs to be.

It's interesting that despite all the spy systems and five eyes, GSCB, NZSIS and every other agency out there the government didn't see this coming. You wonder how effective their spying really is and whether they are able to process the enormous amount of information that they gather. This man was posting for weeks in advance on known sites where extremists like to gather, was uploading pictures of his guns to twitter and so on. How the hell didn't they know? Is all of their spying and information gathering really worth giving up more of our rights to privacy? We will see eventually, as there's going to be a huge investigation into it and I can't wait to see the results.

Hoping that everyone is doing OK. Much love to everyone who was affected and hopefully this won't end up tearing us all apart. Kia kaha

Banned

I have decided not to post any more in this thread since some members have an anti gun agenda.

Police update Monday 18th:

"Update 17: Christchurch terror attack; court appearance "

A 22-year-old man is due to appear in Christchurch District Court [Monday morning] charged with offences under the Films Videos and Publications Classification Act.

This man was arrested by Police in the initial stages of the shooting investigation in Christchurch on Friday afternoon, but he is not being charged in relation to the attack.

Police at this stage do not believe he was directly involved.

We would like to remind people that it is an offence to distribute or possess an objectionable publication (under the Films Videos and Publications Classifications Act 1993), which carries a penalty of imprisonment.

The live stream video of the shootings in Christchurch has been classified by the Chief Censor’s Office as objectionable.

A 28-year-old man remains in custody in relation to Friday’s events, charged with murder.

One other person arrested on Friday is facing charges not directly related to Friday’s events.

They are in custody and those matters are currently before the court.

A fourth person was arrested, but was not charged with any offences.

Dr Lester Levy

Leonard Cohen