Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question DisplayPort connectors?

After some research, looks like this monitor is the one that suits me. Acer Predator XB271HUA 27" WQHD Nvidia G-SYNC Gaming Monitor , 2560X1440 , 1MS , 165Hz Max , USB 3.0 HUB ,

However it warns that a connector needs to be

One area where the XB271HU falls behind, however, is connectivity. Thanks to the limitations of Nvidia’s G-Sync image processor, this display has only two inputs: one DisplayPort and one HDMI. The former supports fast refresh rates and G-Sync, while the latter will allow up to 2,560 x 1,440 resolution at 60Hz.

I have had a search for DisplayPort connectors but not sure what they actually are.

At the moment my new PC has only a HDMI port using HMDI in on my old PC monitor.

Does that mean i need to buy a HDMI to Displayport connector and if so where would i purchase one?

Please and Thank you.

Default Re: DisplayPort connectors?

Are you going to actually use it for gaming?? If the plan is just to use it for general desktop based tasks then the HDMI is all you need.

What graphics card are you using at the moment? if it doesnt have displayport then its probably ancient?

Display port looks very similar to HDMI but has one square end https://c.mi.com/thread-885840-1-0.html

To take advantage of G-sync and high refresh rates you need both a graphics card and a monitor with display port, most mid to high end modern graphics cards have them.
    An adapter won't work because you would still be using an HDMI port which just doesn't support those features.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Display port looks very similar to HDMI but has one square end https://c.mi.com/thread-885840-1-0.html

To take advantage of G-sync and high refresh rates you need both a graphics card and a monitor with display port, most mid to high end modern graphics cards have them.
    An adapter won't work because you would still be using an HDMI port which just doesn't support those features.
    Thank you both for your replies - I suspect i am operating out of a high degree of ignorance here.

My graphics card is pretty new - its a

GeForce RTX 2070 - it says it supports G-sync.

I had another good look at the back of my PC in the bay with the graphics card and i can see another slot that looks suspiciously like the Displayport cable picture from the link above.

So , if i have got this right, the monitor looks all good to purchase and i also need to buy the Displayport Cable?

Thanks in advance for your patience.

Yes that's right, unless the monitor comes with a cable.

The 2070 typically has 3 display port connections, 1 HDMI, and 1 USB 3C, so you should be fine.

I have a 1070 and even that has 2 display port connections - I know because I'm using them right now.
    You don't need an expensive cable but the really cheap ones can be an issue too, the image quality is fine but one of mine (the cheapest ones I could find ) doesn't fit very well on the PC end and can need a bit of jiggling to get a display output from.

Oh also, they have a locking mechanism so you have to push in a latch on the connector to remove them - so don't just yank them out.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Thumbs up Re: DisplayPort connectors?

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Yes that's right, unless the monitor comes with a cable.

The 2070 typically has 3 display port connections, 1 HDMI, and 1 USB 3C, so you should be fine.

I have a 1070 and even that has 2 display port connections - I know because I'm using them right now.
    You don't need an expensive cable but the really cheap ones can be an issue too, the image quality is fine but one of mine (the cheapest ones I could find ) doesn't fit very well on the PC end and can need a bit of jiggling to get a display output from.

Oh also, they have a locking mechanism so you have to push in a latch on the connector to remove them - so don't just yank them out.
    Cheers for all that - Monitor and cable all ordered!!

Says in the specs it has display port Here