Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44
  1. #21
    Computer Technician wainuitech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    28,262

    Default Re: Linux Lite Is Fun!

    Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post



    Since when does 20gb exceed 32gb? I’m comparing the most bloated and Win10 bolts in.
    It doesn't BUT as you don't seem to understand you DONT need a 32GB drive or larger, its ONLY a recommended amount of disk space. SAME as MINT - they recommend 20GB, WHY the OS when installed is not that large ?

    Why has Mint doubled in size since mint 7, which used to fit on a 700MB CD ?

    Haven't done your homework have you Going by your reasoning, Windows is middle of the road, MAC's recommend 64GB so that's double what MS says.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MAC_OS.png 
Views:	30 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	9366

    Along those lines if you look it up depending on the Version in a MAC various people state 15-20GB for a install, that can be higher than a windows OS.

    You can install W10 easily on a smaller drive if you know what you are doing, smaller than the 20GB as recommended by MINT to install.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	34 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	9367

    If you need 32 GB as you say how did I install W10 ( fresh) on only a 16GB partition ?? SIMPLE the figures given are recommended ONLY Not Actual.

    Last time I looked 16 is smaller than 20
    Last edited by wainuitech; 18-02-2019 at 02:40 PM.

  2. #22
    Wrinkly Member! B.M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Mount Maunganui
    Posts
    7,899

    Default Re: Linux Lite Is Fun!

    Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    you DONT need a 32GB drive or larger, its ONLY a recommended amount of disk space.
    Let me try again.

    Microsoft say 32GB is a "REQUIREMENT" Not a recommendation.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Win10 REQUIREMENTS.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	9368


    It's no good arguing that you have reduced its size, but you have to be able to install it first.

    I guess in your case you installed it on a much larger drive, and then edited out all the junk and spyware to get it under 32GB.

    Either way you are arguing with Microsoft who say quite clearly that 32GB is a REQUIREMENT not a Recommendation!
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    .
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

    I take no responsibility for the accuracy of any media links I quote.

  3. #23
    Computer Technician wainuitech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    28,262

    Default Re: Linux Lite Is Fun!

    Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Let me try again.

    Microsoft say 32GB is a "REQUIREMENT" Not a recommendation.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Win10 REQUIREMENTS.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	9368


    It's no good arguing that you have reduced its size, but you have to be able to install it first.

    I guess in your case you installed it on a much larger drive, and then edited out all the junk and spyware to get it under 32GB.

    Either way you are arguing with Microsoft who say quite clearly that 32GB is a REQUIREMENT not a Recommendation!
    LOL that's laughable.

    That's something a cheat and yourself might do.

    A fresh install of W10 takes approx. 12-13GB depending on the version. Then depending on the hardware, Like MINT may download drivers if not inbuilt.

    MS put a larger drive so dingbats and know alls like yourself who have no clues wont try and put it on a smaller drive. The drive was a 20GB that I partitioned to 16GB, I'll let you in on a secret, the minimum drive space is actually 15GB. This is a W10 Home direct, NOT a Name brand like HP, Dell , ASUS etc who put in all sorts of crap.

    If you don't believe me do it your self.

    Question -- Would you say that using a VM is the same install procedure as if on a separate drive ??

    Still haven't answered the question WHY does MINT say it has to have 20GB drive ? ( I know you wont because you don't have a clue how a OS installs, the tasks it goes through)
    Last edited by wainuitech; 18-02-2019 at 04:04 PM.

  4. #24
    Wrinkly Member! B.M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Mount Maunganui
    Posts
    7,899

    Default Re: Linux Lite Is Fun!

    Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    LOL that's laughable.

    That's something a cheat and yourself might do.

    A fresh install of W10 takes approx. 12-13GB depending on the version. Then depending on the hardware, Like MINT may download drivers if not inbuilt.

    MS put a larger drive so dingbats and know alls like yourself who have no clues wont try and put it on a smaller drive. The drive was a 20GB that I partitioned to 16GB, I'll let you in on a secret, the minimum drive space is actually 15GB. This is a W10 Home direct, NOT a Name brand like HP, Dell , ASUS etc who put in all sorts of crap.

    If you don't believe me do it your self.

    Question -- Would you say that using a VM is the same install procedure as if on a separate drive ??

    Still haven't answered the question WHY does MINT say it has to have 20GB drive ? ( I know you wont because you don't have a clue how a OS installs, the tasks it goes through)
    Get the Wife to explain to you the difference between a Requirement and a Recommendation and then argue with Microsoft, seeing you know more than them.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    .
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

    I take no responsibility for the accuracy of any media links I quote.

  5. #25
    Computer Technician wainuitech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    28,262

    Default Re: Linux Lite Is Fun!

    Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Get the Wife to explain to you the difference between a Requirement and a Recommendation and then argue with Microsoft, seeing you know more than them.
    Well BM you see theres one HUGE difference between you and I. If I say something can be done I CAN PROVE IT. you however simple blow hot air and ether change the subject or dont reply at all.

    Since WHEN have you EVER listened to what Microsoft have said -- What a hypocrite.

    You could do the following yourself But I know you wont, and there's one very good reason you would be proven WRONG.

    I've just installed Windows 10 on a 16GB drive.

    So your simple mind can understand, when you create a VM the Hard Drive is the size you make it. It doesn't expand unless its set to.

    So if you created a 500GB VM its 500GB, 32GB=32GB. So a 16GB VM is 16GB.

    There's basically no difference as compared to a Physical drive.

    So to prove it watch this -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOa6...ature=youtu.be I created a VM of 16GB, installing windows from start to finish and proving its used under 16GB, NO 32 GB drive in site. Watch carefully and you'll see at the beginning and end it only has a 16GB drive with 1GB memory.

    I also have in the workshop the 20GB drive with windows installed, now I may be good at some things but no way in hell can I fit 32GB into a 20GB drive.

    I can show the complete partitions, no hidden or missing 15+ GB hiding someplace like you accused me of.

    There are several places I have paused the Recording and its a little lagging, because it was just stuff installing and the recording software has always been resource hungry on this PC, BUT it proves you don't need a 32GB + Drive. The only reason its doesn't activate is because I used the generic Home License key instead of Pro. Wouldn't be at all surprised if its the same Key as on your wife's Laptop.

    If you bothered to look as well you will see this PC also runs CentOS in the VM. Thats a real Linux not your play Mint.

    But being the hypocrite you are wouldn't surprise me in the slightest you'll still say it cant be done even when its proven it can.

  6. #26
    Soaring like an Eagle gary67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In a field in Hanmer
    Posts
    14,830

    Default Re: Linux Lite Is Fun!

    Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Well BM you see theres one HUGE difference between you and I. If I say something can be done I CAN PROVE IT. you however simple blow hot air and ether change the subject or dont reply at all.

    Since WHEN have you EVER listened to what Microsoft have said -- What a hypocrite.

    You could do the following yourself But I know you wont, and there's one very good reason you would be proven WRONG.

    I've just installed Windows 10 on a 16GB drive.

    So your simple mind can understand, when you create a VM the Hard Drive is the size you make it. It doesn't expand unless its set to.

    So if you created a 500GB VM its 500GB, 32GB=32GB. So a 16GB VM is 16GB.

    There's basically no difference as compared to a Physical drive.

    So to prove it watch this -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOa6...ature=youtu.be I created a VM of 16GB, installing windows from start to finish and proving its used under 16GB, NO 32 GB drive in site. Watch carefully and you'll see at the beginning and end it only has a 16GB drive with 1GB memory.

    I also have in the workshop the 20GB drive with windows installed, now I may be good at some things but no way in hell can I fit 32GB into a 20GB drive.

    I can show the complete partitions, no hidden or missing 15+ GB hiding someplace like you accused me of.

    There are several places I have paused the Recording and its a little lagging, because it was just stuff installing and the recording software has always been resource hungry on this PC, BUT it proves you don't need a 32GB + Drive. The only reason its doesn't activate is because I used the generic Home License key instead of Pro. Wouldn't be at all surprised if its the same Key as on your wife's Laptop.

    If you bothered to look as well you will see this PC also runs CentOS in the VM. Thats a real Linux not your play Mint.

    But being the hypocrite you are wouldn't surprise me in the slightest you'll still say it cant be done even when its proven it can.
    Spike Milligan once said if Einstein stood in front of 100 monkeys for 100 years explaining his theory, at the end of 100 years they would still be 100 monkeys.

    I would give up as this has been proved many times over the years on this forum. You can explain many times over but the monkey will still be a monkey and not believe you.

  7. #27
    Wrinkly Member! B.M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Mount Maunganui
    Posts
    7,899

    Default Re: Linux Lite Is Fun!

    Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    If I say something can be done I CAN PROVE IT.

    Good ohh, then you tell Microsoft they are misleading the Public.

    And did you notice the bit in the link I provided that said the Requirements set out were Basic?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Win10 Basic Requirements.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	9369

    It’s outrageous that Microsoft should mislead the public like that.
    Last edited by B.M.; 19-02-2019 at 06:42 AM.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    .
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

    I take no responsibility for the accuracy of any media links I quote.

  8. #28
    Wrinkly Member! B.M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Mount Maunganui
    Posts
    7,899

    Default Re: Linux Lite Is Fun!

    Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    Spike Milligan once said if Einstein stood in front of 100 monkeys for 100 years explaining his theory, at the end of 100 years they would still be 100 monkeys.

    I would give up as this has been proved many times over the years on this forum. You can explain many times over but the monkey will still be a monkey and not believe you.
    Good Grief, you never mentioned the National Government.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    .
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

    I take no responsibility for the accuracy of any media links I quote.

  9. #29
    Computer Technician wainuitech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    28,262

    Default Re: Linux Lite Is Fun!

    Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Good ohh, then you tell Microsoft they are misleading the Public.

    And did you notice the bit in the link I provided that said the Requirements set out were Basic?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Win10 Basic Requirements.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	9369

    It’s outrageous that Microsoft should mislead the public like that.
    There are reasons why Microsoft Say a 32GB drive, One is when windows does its upgrades it requires on average 16GB of spare space to do the upgrade, this allows the Upgrade to download, unpack, save the current install, and do its upgrade. If there is not enough space it fails and pops up with a warning along the lines of saying such.

    What some name brand manufactures do is put in Tiny drives (read budget Laptops) this often causes problems when the user fills up their drive with items.

    An example of you when can get away with a smaller drive -- If you have a Network or computer that never goes on the internet. If it never goes on the internet, it cant update and doesn't require space.

    There's one of my customers who has a W10 with a 80GB drive, the main drive is partitioned down to 30GB, the remainder of the drive is where he stores the exe files for programs he has purchased, BUT along with a small 80GB drive he has 3 x 1TB internals drives that hold all his graphic work.

    The computer is not connected to the internet, only his own LAN which I have set that particular PC so it cant go on the internet.

    Wife's work is the same, they have a network that their previous IT guy setup so its not capable of going onto the internet, for security purposes, in her work they cant have hackers trying to get in.

    Remember one thing just because Microsoft says you need or cant do something doesn't mean it cant be done.

    Hell they even break their own rules. MS state a License is tied to the motherboard, when it dies so does the license, yet they provide the options in Windows to re license a new board on the old key - go figure
    Last edited by wainuitech; 19-02-2019 at 07:32 AM.

  10. #30
    Senior Member 1101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,220

    Default Re: Linux Lite Is Fun!

    Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post

    If you go back and read my post again you will find that I was responding to 1101’s post that “how much things have changed when a 'lite' download is 1.4Gb”

    I agree, and pointed out that the Win10 OS needed 32gig these days.
    comparing apples with apples , the Win10 ISO is around 4Gb . But Win10 never claimed to be 'lite'
    Lite should be a 500Mb ISO or less , just my old way of thinking.

    Bring back DOS , & Win95 installed from floppies . So was Win95 'Lite'

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 17-03-2015, 10:26 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-11-2009, 03:32 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-02-2004, 02:21 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 13-05-2002, 01:13 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20-01-2002, 07:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •