Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Linux Lite Is Fun!

MS have a habit of making min spec too low.
    So manufactures then sell laptops & PC's that are too low spec for real world use , MS then getting a bad name for how slow the new OS is.
    Its not the OS , its the low spec of the system thats too slow.
    MS should make min specs much higher .

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    There are reasons why Microsoft Say a 32GB drive, One is when windows does its upgrades it requires on average 16GB of spare space to do the upgrade, this allows the Upgrade to download, unpack, save the current install, and do its upgrade. If there is not enough space it fails and pops up with a warning along the lines of saying such.
    Ohhh dear.

Well there you are, by your own admission you do need 32Gb minimum to install Win10 if you want to be able to use it.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

I take no responsibility for the accuracy of any media links I quote.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Ohhh dear.

Well there you are, by your own admission you do need 32Gb minimum to install Win10 if you want to be able to use it.
    No not at all. You can install it on a small drive just wont have much space left. Gave an example, but like normal you decided not to acknowledge the fact, in Bold, your quote -- I PROVED you can INSTALL on a 16GB Drive.

If you had read the previous post It wouldn't need to go onto the internet, hence no updates. It would only have installed what you installed yourself ( say by USB). re-read the post, The Wife's work has just that, NO INTERNET access - So please advise how it would update if not connected to internet. ?

32GB is not enough anyway, wouldn't be able to install many programs or store much data. Built a PC late last year, the guy only wanted a 250GB SSD drive, told him thats not enough ( he does a LOT of gaming) Following day got a call saying his hard Drive was saying its full, I went and had a look and sure enough, full of games, so going by that 250GB is not enough either. One of his games alone was close to 20GB (from memory)

Why don't you go help SJ with his linux since your such a know all ?
    Last edited by wainuitech; 19-02-2019 at 12:11 PM.

Win10 with Office2010 , Chrome & Acrobat Reader , nothing else . On my spare laptop
    32Gb used space (approx)
    Windows folder is only 6.8Gb .

Win Disk cleanup tool would free up 13.4Gb , taking used space down to 19Gb

Im sure that could be made even less with a 16bit install and a more vigorous cleanup, but why bother

Dos6 : 1 bootable floppy drive .

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Why don't you go help SJ with his linux since your such a know all ?
    Ahhh, your old “If You Can’t Convince Them, Confuse Them” won’t work here, even if you’ve got more Red Herrings than John West.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Ahhh, your old “If You Can’t Convince Them, Confuse Them” won’t work here, even if you’ve got more Red Herrings than John West.
    Confusing ? - you are confused all the time when awake, so bit hard to go better than that.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 19-02-2019 at 02:46 PM.

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rod J View Post
    Hi SurferJoe, glad you're liking Linux Lite. Did you know it is developed right here in New Zealand? https://www.distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=lite

It should run quite well on your current hardware. I was almost tempted to try it out recently but I have a strong dislike of XFCE (the desktop used in Linux Lite) as I find it odd to manage and rather 'old fashioned' (at least that's how I found it in Xubuntu). I have gotten too used to how things are done in KDE Plasma 5 I guess. I believe the Lite version of XFCE has added some useful utilities to make management easier, especially for newbies.

I see you installed Clementine ... it's a great music media player. It's been my favourite for years on KDE but the latest Kubuntu LTS (18.04) has Cantata installed by default, also a good music player but I think I prefer Clementine.

I'm exploring other things just now ... trying out Manjaro KDE on my old laptop as I'm considering switching away from Kubuntu to Manjaro after nine years with *buntu. I like the rolling release concept of Manjaro (no need to reinstall every 2 - 4 years as long as you keep it up to date). Manjaro seems to be pretty stable although the big updates require using the command line in a separate TTY session, which is OK for me to do but doesn't seem very newbie friendly.

Also, I'm actually writing this on a Windows 10 SFF PC I bought recently to use as an HTPC running Kodi. Yes, I'm using a Windows OS for the first time in nine years.
    Ya know - I am having a concept problem with the various desktops, as I don't have enough info about them to know if one is better than another.

What's the big deal? I wonder if I'm missing something. Can you enlighten me?

Warum werden wir so früh alt und klug so spät?

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Here's the latest - all of which I think I can handle - but it is rather irksome....

1) LL will not hold the password-login data and every time I reboot - or start from cold, the passwords are not stored and I have to re-enter them every time. This isn't the log-in screen to get TO LL, but for things like here at F1 and other apps that require a password. IRK!

2) I undertook a massive update yesterday and guess what? The RTL8812AU is mucked up again!

I am coming to you via the auspices of my Alpha Unit - which --- and forgive me here ----> WORKS EVERY TIME, RIGHT OUTTA THE BOX --- BUT I NEED IT FOR MY RASPBERRY AND I CAN'T LEAVE IT HERE FOR TOO LONG.

Well - I have only myself to blame for that --- so, I figgered: "No biggie! I'll just recompile it again either from the disk or from a repository". Uh huh.

Here's what I got in a very one-sided conversation with LL just a few ago:

Code:
    Welcome to Linux Lite 4.2 linuxlite

Tuesday 19 March 2019, 09:55:01
    Memory Usage: 340/1983MB (17.15%)
    Disk Usage: 14/56GB (27%)
    Support - https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/ (Right click, Open Link)

linuxlite  ~  sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic build essential git
    [sudo] password for linuxlite: 
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package build
    E: Unable to locate package essential
     linuxlite  ~  git clone https;//github.com/scrivy/rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux.git
    fatal: repository 'https' does not exist
    bash: //github.com/scrivy/rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux.git: No such file or directory
     linuxlite  ~  sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic build essential git
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
     linuxlite  ~  cd rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux
     linuxlite  ~  rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux  make
    make ARCH=x86_64 CROSS_COMPILE= -C /lib/modules/4.15.0-46-generic/build M=/home/linuxlite/rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux  modules
    make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.0-46-generic'
    Makefile:975: "Cannot use CONFIG_STACK_VALIDATION=y, please install libelf-dev, libelf-devel or elfutils-libelf-devel"
      Building modules, stage 2.
      MODPOST 1 modules
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.0-46-generic'
     linuxlite  ~  rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux  sudo make install
    install -p -m 644 rtl8812au.ko  /lib/modules/4.15.0-46-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/
    /sbin/depmod -a 4.15.0-46-generic
     linuxlite  ~  rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux  sudo modprobe 8812au
    modprobe: ERROR: could not insert '8812au': Exec format error
     linuxlite  ~  rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux 
    One MIGHT notice that I tried to bluff my way through it all by assuming that somewhere on the hdd, was the RTL8821AU driver, and I just did what I had done so many times before ---> this time ignoring any negative answers of statements by LL.

I just merrily and obliviously went along the path, assuming that all was going well and that somehow LL was making a big mistake about it all and would think I was a nice guy and just LET IT HAPPEN!

Nope.

The text of my entries is as follows: (in case it's not obvious!)

(Open Terminal)

sudo apt-git install linux-headers-generic build essential git

git clone https;//github.com/scrivy/rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux.git

cd rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux

sudo make install

sudo modprobe 8812au

The next part-instruction is: Plug in WiFi adapter, wait until it starts working a few moments .... and enjoy!

The amount of enjoyment, at this point, is not really measurable.

Warum werden wir so früh alt und klug so spät?

Quote Originally Posted by SurferJoe46 View Post
    Dunno if you got 99 problems, but this is one...

Your install command stops here without installing anything.
    Lay me down the long white line
    Leave the sirens far behind me
    Paint my name in black and gold
    My heart my flame my heart my road