Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default requestion for photocopy of my credit card

A company (Real Estate Agent) has requested a photocopy of my credit card, front and back as proof of identity

I know this is because of NZ's new Anti money Laudering Legislation , specific proof of identity is required...

But come on, requesting a photocopy of my credit card,front and back, to be sent by email . Are they insane.
    You'd need to be an idiot to email that to a 3rd party.
    Data breeches on small companies are too damn common, it would just be sitting in some staffers PC , unencrypted .

I wonder what the banks would think of customers emailing a scanned copy of their CC ?

Default Re: requestion for photocopy of my credit card

Name the agent, here.

"If Fawlty Towers is now being removed by the BBC then humour is dead. The puritans are winning because the establishment is weak and has no self confidence."

Nigel Farage@Nigel_Farage∑ Jun 12

https://www.justice.govt.nz/justice-...lic/#what-info

This is insane. So if you dont have passport or drivers lic and CC you are literally 100% stuffed . You may as well be homeless in the eyes of this law.

Who was the halfwit Govt official that thought this was OK.
    There are many kiwis who now cannot give adequate proof of identity as required by the act, as many dont have Passport
    or dont have both drivers lic and CC : The elderly perhaps...Im sure those in their 20's would have all 3.

And since when was a CC a legally valid form of ID
    All to easy to whip up a fake CC if you're a dodgy crim .
    How is a photo ID, from a Govt dept , not sufficient eg drivers lic.

Web drive did that....it was mostly overseas people or someone they thought may have been dodgy, to prove you had it.

Come on, any shop you use it on can steal the info if they really wanted to.
    But it's why you pay the yearly fee, and dodgy transactions, visa pay you back.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post

Come on, any shop you use it on can steal the info if they really wanted to.
    True , but in general, many people simply dont have drivers Lic AND CC.
    Its just stupid to have a legal requirement for BOTH as proof of ID
    And there is no need to request a scan of both sides of my CC .

Add to that, Ive seen just how lax in security these small 'professional' firms are . They dont care about security of other people info.
    You would have seen it when you did PC repairs

Lawyers , accountants, Real state agents : people have no idea how lax some are with security over other peoples private info
    Small companies : the worst.
    Honestly, Ive seen their PC's being accesed by their kids after hours , to play games AND download & install virus ridden cracks etc
    Virus ridden PCs so infected they are barely usable
    PC's left logged in over the weekend, in shared offices , with cleaning staff & their kids literally able to just sit down & use the PC's
    Real estate agents having to use their own personal laptop , so there is no control over that at all (often will be used by other family members)

Do I want to give THEM my CC details. Nope .
    Last edited by 1101; 15-02-2019 at 03:12 PM.

I'm in the same boat. I dont drive, never have. So, don't have a licence. Have a passport but it's over 30 years old now.

Only thing I have, to say who I am is a birth certificate. I was going to get one of these 18+ cards, but bugger that.

It says you can provide a birth cert, but I'm not paying $55 for one. The only other thing I could do is get a photo on my debit card.

It was hard enough getting a debit card. Since, you need ID for that as well. But the bank gave me one, in the end

I have 2 passports, a NZ driving licence and a NZSAR (search & rescue) membership card all with my photo on. There is absolutely no way I would use a CC as proof of ID, I do have a CC but am considering ditching it as my visa debit can do it all and the fees are lower.

When in the UK a year ago I just used my visa debit in shops, cafe's etc and the fees were minimal.

pcsourcepoint

Maybe get proof - e.g. a credit card reference document or letter from the bank that issued the card..
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

I had the same problem some years ago. I failed my 75 yr licence medical. The Doc read the form read his screen & said "Not bloody likely John, Sorry." Didnt seem important at the time. Till I needed identificcaation. No current driving licence. No current passport. Gold Card wouldnt do. Now what . I had to go to the Post Office to get an Over 18 Card, even that as Proof of Identity
    doesnt always work. I can understand retailers wanting a recognised Identity but there isnt one.
    Some years ago the Govt mooted a Personal identity Card good for anything. The do gooders sceamed it down, "Invasion of Privacy" Seemed like a good idea to me as long as it had minimal details & no access by any/all Govt Depts. The AA licence counter wont issue a "Non Driving Licence" as an Identity card. Which seems a shame as they issue working licences anyway. PJ
    Deafness.
    When I was younger I heard but didn't listen.
    Now I am older, I listen but cannot hear.

If it is not broke, don't make it broker by trying to make it better. (This applies specifically to PJ)