Default New Windows 10 machines : locked down with 'policies', even Win10 home

Anyone else starting to see new win10 pc's locked down with restrictive ~default~ policies, right out of the box.
    Ive seen a few with some Winupdate options locked out with "some settings are managed by your organization"

These are Win10 Home & Pro laptops having this issue : some Win10home so there is no GPEDIT
    Are manufacturers buggering around with the default install, or just more windows bugs

This latest one even has changing the Win Lock screen setting locked out by Policies & the usual Winupdate settings lockout

FYI, heres how you remove the lockouts . Im just wondering why this is happening in new machines, straight out of the box

regedit
    HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Personali zation
    then on the right side I deleted the Value: NoLockScreen
    Also del the entry that restricts Update settings changes (is a few lines above)
    Last edited by 1101; 12-02-2019 at 02:24 PM.

Default Re: New Windows 10 machines : locked down with 'policies', even Win10 home

Try not to use my HP laptop now.

It used to boot in under 10 seconds, ie, that is 10 seconds.

Now I can have dinner, almost, before it gets to the desktop icons and another delay, yes wai have to keep sorting that one (cache) tooo.

Shutdown is fantastic, just 5 seconds.

I suppose some people need the stop watch app on their lappy!!.

lurking.

Default Re: New Windows 10 machines : locked down with 'policies', even Win10 home

The Wording "some settings are managed by your organization" Was on an older version of Windows 10, its been upgraded since and removed.

If its a NEW computer wouldn't be at all surprised if its still got 1803 installed (this is where it was showing) Upgrade it to 1809 and it will disappear.

The Reg entry - AGAIN must be a Manufacture lock (HP) Just checked on 4 different PC's (3 Home + 1 Pro) including one I just installed yesterday and the reg entry is no where to be seen, or any of the mentioned locks.

No entry present.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reg_File.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	9355

Rule #1 - ANY manufacture installed OS can have additional actions /locks / CRAP / Custom Settings installed.

Rule # 2 - Remove them by wiping the drives and re-installing from Fresh.

Now I can have dinner, almost, before it gets to the desktop icons and another delay, yes wai have to keep sorting that one (cache) tooo.
    So fix it Often its easier and quicker to save any data ( if not done so already) wipe the drive and reinstall.

Had this happen on my Linux PC/OS the other day. Tried to fix the fault, after pissing about on the internet looking for an answer and tried god knows how many suggested fixes over a time of 4 1/2 hours, nothing worked, - Wiped the drive and reinstalled it, 30 minutes later, now runs fine
    Last edited by wainuitech; 12-02-2019 at 05:16 PM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post

So fix it Often its easier and quicker to save any data ( if not done so already) wipe the drive and reinstall.
    If it was mine, I wouldnt hesitate to wipe & reload .
    All I was asked (OK'ed) to do was copy data from the old machine to new .

Unfortunately , my advice was ignored : bought from a toaster shop, Doesnt have an SSD (I said several times make sure the new laptop has one).... , the salesboys advice was a bunch of crap (what a surprise)
    no SSD , just a slow old school HD .
    For an i7, this thing is slow. They may just end up returning it, I wouldnt be happy with it . Too slow.

The reg fix was quite easy.
    It makes no sense to have had those entries in there , so obviously somewhere along the line someone decided to lock down a new laptop .

wai fixing does become monotonous. Why can't 1,000mb stay as 1,000mb instead of reverting back to 500mb.

Not going into the wipe fiasco to suit MS, better to use a desktop machine that works properly.

lurking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurking View Post
    wai fixing does become monotonous. Why can't 1,000mb stay as 1,000mb instead of reverting back to 500mb.

Not going into the wipe fiasco to suit MS, better to use a desktop machine that works properly.

lurking.
    You no complain then

Been doing this to long now to piss about with trying to fix some things, you can spend hours or sometimes days trying to repair something ( no matter what OS) and still not have it working 100%. The only real exception may be a server OS that cant be taken out for a while then having to completely reset it all back up.

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    If it was mine, I wouldnt hesitate to wipe & reload .
    All I was asked (OK'ed) to do was copy data from the old machine to new .

Unfortunately , my advice was ignored : bought from a toaster shop, Doesnt have an SSD (I said several times make sure the new laptop has one).... , the salesboys advice was a bunch of crap (what a surprise)
    no SSD , just a slow old school HD .
    For an i7, this thing is slow. They may just end up returning it, I wouldnt be happy with it . Too slow.

yep some of the sales shop people don't have a clue.

But a SSD is the way to go, just last night a customer came and collected his Laptop, A REAL POWER GRUNT Pentium with 4 GB memory, the HDD was on its last legs, testing came up with Replace NOW, would take over 5 minutes just to get to the log on screen.

I put in a SSD drive 240GB, $70, reinstalled windows 10. NOW from completely off to fully running 15 Seconds

I don't have any problems using Mint, where I am the boss. Use Windows about twice a month because I have the software, but only when I have to.

Quote Originally Posted by mzee View Post
    I don't have any problems using Mint, where I am the boss. Use Windows about twice a month because I have the software, but only when I have to.
    Yep, I prefer notepad to word. That doesnt make it a good choice for most people

You linux guys, must be in dire need of group hug .

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post

You linux guys, must be in dire need of group hug .
    Here's a game, whose who from PF1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aww-group-hug-3-penguins.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	9358