Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Unhappy The Big Sleep.....................

Well --- today Roxie has to be put to sleep.

She has a large tumor on her liver and the vet says it will very painfully and suddenly kill her soon.

We've had her out with us all day - riding in the car, sniffing the sign poles and playing short range catch with us.

I've petted her and she had a swell breakfast and for her dinner - which will be a couple of hours early - she's getting some BBQd steak and her usual dog food.

We've brushed her and just generally kept her with us all day.

At this moment, she has forty five minutes left for her final appointment.

Damn!

I figger that as far South as I have gone so far, I may now get a break in bad fortune
    until the rest of the world catches up with me.

Default Re: The Big Sleep.....................

Sorry Joe.
    I stopped having Dogs after the 4th one. Just too hard. Maybe when I retire.
    My last girl had a final day much like what you describe, and seemed perfectly healthy and happy for it just to make me feel worse.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Having a great final day then. That's good.

Snuffs had to be taken to the vet shortly after I moved.
    I suspect she was ailing before we did, she arrived and went missing....she was way down the street and round the corner, under a house. Drama getting her....gone for a week.

And she had one happy night, the next day it was obvious she was badly off and after 3 calls to vet - they had said wait, see how she is etc, I went down in evening.
    Another cat had been bought in with serious dog wounds, so we had to wait.

And they did suggest trying some temporary measures, but I thought why stress her more, new place, scared, really unwell so no.

But I regret giving her such a horrible last couple of weeks.
    Ex-pctek

Awww Joe, so sorry. I know how you feel. Just got to remember the good times

Ken

Roxie is gone. I'm crying. Rosanna's crying and went to bed (7PM here) and I just found the tennis ball that she (Roxie, not my wife) brings to me every morning.

The ball is a habit she's gotten into to get me out and to throw the ball around for her.

Howzzit that a dog gets this crazy idea that a ball is the be-all and end-all of what they're supposed to be doing for the rest of their lives?

I know that one is supposed to consider a dog as a 3 year old potty-trained toddler who demands your attention at inopportune times - but they will defend you and your house at the drop of a kibble.

At least - ya know ---> defending the home is supposed to be what they do, but frankly Roxie would help anyone who wanted to steal my piano collection by holding the door open for them!
    And lick their faces.
    And make them peanut butter sandwiches - and that's a pretty neat trick without opposable thumbs -
    ....especially opening the peanut butter jar!

I figger that as far South as I have gone so far, I may now get a break in bad fortune

Older by the minute

Sorry to hear about Roxie. Having a Vet do the job at least it is a very peaceful way to go. I have the ashes of my 5 dogs and they will go with me wherever SWMBO decides I go when my time comes.

In Montana, it's legal to bury people in your yard, on privately owned or rented property.

I have a hole boring rig for the back of my tractor and when/if my wife dies, I'll drill an 18 inch wide hole about 10 feet deep and slid her into it before rigor sets in.

Then I'll push the dirt back over the top, drive the tractor over it a few times to pack it all down and put up a grave marker.

That makes it hard to sell or rent out to new people 'cause they don't like a grave in the back yard - but that's the way it's gonna go. I'm not leaving --- and if I die first, the woman has the keys to the tractor and I wrote a short 162 page instruction booklet on operating it.

She can't even drive a manual transmission vehicle, but the tractor should be pretty self-explanatory when she follows the booklet.

I'm gonna draw some stick figure little men operating the hydraulic controls so she won't have any troubles. Perhaps I could make it into one of those old 'flip-books' that you hold in one hand and let the pages flip through your other thumb so you can see the stick figures in action.

I gotta get on that - I feel pretty good right now, but who can tell....huh?